Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite player (not from team you support)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Past Roy keane, mcgrath, Viera, andy cole, koeman
    Now Negrado, Suarez, Kolarov, Silva, Alonso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ozil probably, just radiates class.

After him, it breaks my heart seeing Aguero turn out for City, followed him since he first moved to Atletico. City in the incarnation that they were at that time should never have been able to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Sticking to the premier league.

Agüero
    David Silva
    Zabaleta

I'm probably supposed to hate Man City. Team with a billionaire owner buying players like they've used edit mode in football manager. But they're a very likeable team. Manager who comes across very well, likeable players, they do a lot for the fans, social media team is brilliant and behind the scenes they are slowly building a great youth development system.

The players I listed above are a joy to watch on their day and just love playing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Javier Zanetti
    Pirlo
    Aguero - I dare to dream what he would have been like for United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I loved watching Brazilian Ronaldo.

Now I love watching he likes of Costa, & Suarez.

Yaya is also a joy to watch in full stride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Aguero. Wonderful talent and a class act on and off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Zidane will always be my favourite ever player and go down as the best for me.

For football of today, I'm a big fan of Edinson Cavani. Consistently bashed by media and fans alike, he always delivers. For me, he is head and shoulders above anything else in that PSG team (I know Zlatan plays there too). Big fan of Michael Carrick as well. Always has been the heart and soul of everything good in Fergies later teams and a constant professional. His contribution gets more noticeable for any length of period he misses out through injury (see United in spells without him over the last two years). Rounding it off with Aguero, who is a joy to watch at his fluid best. Not much else to be said about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Currently playing its David Silva. Love to have him at lfc. City's and the leagues best player imo.

All time favourite would be zidane. A genius and a hot head who played with his heart on his sleeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Suarez, Costa and El Haji Diouf.
    Very good! For me Mata, even allowing for who he's playing for! Very good player, and he seems like a sound bloke as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Francesco Totti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Messi and ’Louie' are the 2 main ones.

Schweinsteiger is another one. Injuries have taken their toll on him in the last couple of years but at his peak he was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sergio Aguero, David Silva and Alexis Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Give me a break.

Not following you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

David Silva, Thomas Muller, Sergio Aguero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Luis Suarez.

Best player that isn't Ronaldo or Messi. Has a bigger impact on any team he plays for than any player I can think of; just look at Liverpool 13/14 to now. Gives absolutely everything he has on the pitch, never stops running or closing down defenders and fights for the ball like his life depends on it. A model pro who doesn't get caught up in off-the-field nonsense like so many other footballers do. As humble a man as they come.

If I was a young, aspiring pro, he's the player I would try to emulate.

If only he didn't have his occasional moment of insanity ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Suarez, Muller, Aguero and Costa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I really like Coutinho. I think when he's on song he can be unstoppable. I fully expected him to be snatched away from Liverpool during the transfer windows as he's clearly too good a player for them. :D

My favourite player is Oezil, but I kind of support Arsenal a bit, lets say they're my favourite PL team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

j terry, c ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Suarez during his LFC years was pure magic.

I've never seen anything like it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The obvious one is Messi. Best player in the world the last few seasons so exciting to watch just a great footballer... magic player in every sense of the word. Not only for his ability but there are no antics with him. He draws some really horrible fouls game after game and he just gets back up, no diving or histrionics or trying to get other players booked.

The other one at the minute for me is Vidal at Bayern. Was lucky enough to get tickets for a Milan vs Juve game at the San Siro a couple of seasons ago and he owned that pitch. There is something very Roy Keane esque about him. No weakness at all to his game a great all round player who will give his all for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Sticking to the premier league.

Agüero
    David Silva
    Zabaleta

I'm probably supposed to hate Man City. Team with a billionaire owner buying players like they've used edit mode in football manager. But they're a very likeable team. Manager who comes across very well, likeable players, they do a lot for the fans, social media team is brilliant and behind the scenes they are slowly building a great youth development system.

The players I listed above are a joy to watch on their day and just love playing the game.

Have to agree with your thoughts on City. Shouldn't like them but if United can't win the league (which they can't) I hope city do. Play attacking football and seem to have sound players and manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Past : Bergkamp
    Present : Muller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Liverpool fans saying Suarez and United fans saying Ronaldo kind of defeats the purpose of this surely considering there's an elephant in the room as to why they would be those fans favourites :P

• P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Francesco Totti.
    Great shout
    Always wanted too see him play in the PL
    Class footballer, loyal as **** too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liam O wrote: »
    Liverpool fans saying Suarez and United fans saying Ronaldo kind of defeats the purpose of this surely considering there's an elephant in the room as to why they would be those fans favourites :P

Agree. I'm a great lad picking Muller and two City players :D
    Suarez during his LFC years was pure magic.

I've never seen anything like it before.

He's still pure magic if you ignore the odd dive, bite and other oddball situations. Dislike the player but he's definitely in the top 10 players in the world and top 5 (possibly top 3) attackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ozil.
    Modric maybe after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Always liked Henry at Arsenal, such a class finisher and Phillip Lahm is also someone I've always admired.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Xabi Alonso, no longer with the team I support and Thomas Muller also of Bayern Munich is a real class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah it's a bit silly really. I might as well say Dennis Bergkamp, seeing as he's not currently at Arsenal, but it'd be stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great shout
    Always wanted too see him play in the PL
    Class footballer, loyal as **** too

Been watching him regularly since I was a little kid, there's something in his play I've never seen before. One of the best passers of a ball I've ever watched. Still manages to grab himself in and around 10 goals a season the past few seasons. At his age and in an extremely hard league to score in I just find that incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

David Alaba

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Francesco Totti.

Footballing legend and extremely under-rated.
    He'd be my number one at the moment.

In second is Zlatan because it's Zlatan...

And three would have to be Pjanic. Cracking midfielder who is great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Zanetti.

Bergkamp.

Used to love Kinkladze too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'd probably say Aguero, just a totally unfussed world class player who just seems to simply go out and play football without the bells and whistles.

Jaap Stam would be another one. Just an absolute rock of a player and wasn't fussed with giving special attention to a player whether they had a big name or not like seems to happen a lot these days, just usually played really well no matter who it was against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Alessandro Del Piero. What a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

City fan but it was always frank lampard for me, delighted when he joined us, still one of my all time fave players.

Prem wise it's Siggurdson, love the way he plays and always gets me out of a hole in fantasy football!(could be reason for my lampard love too)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Toni Kroos, in my eyes the best midfielder in the world and has been for a number of years.

Thomas Müller, comfortably in the top 5 players in world football. Holds his own against the big 2 and Suarez imo. I just love watching him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Was always a fan of lukas podolski. Not sure why but always been a fan.

Muller , aguero and marco reus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He's still playing, albeit in MLS, so it is still current: I loved watching Marcos Senna play for Villareal, and thought he was underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Del Piero, Totti and Riquelme. Three unbelievably talented players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Past........ Matt Le Tissier. Lazy git most of the time but could produce some pure magic.

Present.......... Probably Aguero like many others have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

ronjo wrote: »
    Past........ Matt Le Tissier. Lazy git most of the time but could produce some pure magic.

Present.......... Probably Aguero like many others have said.

I just go to the end of the thread thinking I would be the first to mention Matt Le Tissier but you pipped me to it!

Matt Le Tissier, always made me look forward to goal of the month as he always had a few contenders. Loved his loyalty and the way he could score a wide variety of goals, he never seemed to look phased.

Bergkamp, he was just a class act and scored some outrageously skillful goals.

Zidane, just so full of class, has to be one of the best midfielders of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Bas Dost -Wolfsburg.

I'm a season ticket holder but not a fan of them. Manchester United fan hoping he doesn't do damage to us on the 30th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Henry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

osarusan wrote: »
    He's still playing, albeit in MLS, so it is still current: I loved watching Marcos Senna play for Villareal, and thought he was underrated.

Ya I loved Marcos Senna.

Has him as the player of the tournament for the Euros in 2008. Seriously underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

1. Zlatan
    2. Luca Toni
    3. Gareth Bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Ronaldinho for a few seasons there at Barca was just breathtaking. Done things no other player would even attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Rooney, Mata, Coutinho and Silva.

Advertisement