Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovranette not covered on GMS??

Options
  • 19-09-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I got my first prescription for the contraceptive ovranette, and was told by the pharmacist that it was no longer covered on GMS. When I asked her why she said she didn't know. So I'm wondering if anyone knows why it's no longer covered? I don't want to start a new pill only to ask my doctor to change it for one that's covered, though it's such a nightmare trying to find the right pill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It used to be really really cheap. The company increased the price. PCRS won't pay the higher price so it got delisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

It used to be really really cheap. The company increased the price. PCRS won't pay the higher price so it got delisted.

As drug prices in Ireland decrease this is going to be an increasing occurence.
    Ireland is a small market and the drug companies will not supply such a small market if the prices paid by the HSE are too low.
    Currently the HSE and IPHA are trying to negotiate a new drug price structure for 2016, 2017 and 2018.
    It is very likely that IPHA will strongly resist any further price decreases. Currently high tech medicines (mainly anti-cancer) are just over a third of the
    whole national drugs budget. The HSE may secure a reduction in the price of the high tech meds but are unlikely to secure much of a decrease in other medicines. In this situation more drugs will go the way of Ovranette. They will be available but will not be covered on any State schemes.

Advertisement