Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running XP Offline

Options
  • 20-09-2015 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I know all the dangers and **** with running XP nowadays, I'm wondering would running the OS offline only for general portability be a wise move.

Any online work I'm quite happy to do on my PC or a Porteus or Puppy Linux USB boot, I've tried them out and wouldn't like them full time. The laptop is too slow to run Lubuntu, as xFce was very laggy on it.

The main reason I won't be sticking with Linux full time is that I need to use Excel and the laptop is likely too slow to use Excel through Wine

The Linux alternatives to Excel don't seem to be up to scratch, so I'd prefer to have a Windows OS, and Vista and 7 both ran like crap on it.

Laptop has a single core Sempron at 2.1ghz and 2gb DDR2, can't see anymore ram helping.
    Will likely install an SSD, if the consensus is that it'll help me run Lubuntu or Debian well enough to emulate Excel I'll prioritize that.

That's about it. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

In theory there should be no danger in running xp offline. It's more a case of making more wore for yourself. For example if you do something in excel and need to upload it or email it then you will have to move it onto a usb and then put it on another computer to send. After a while for me anyway that would get very irritating. Also having to make sure to save things files to be compatible with office 2013 if you use that elsewhere.

As for linux I don't know nearly enough about it to say whether an ssd would be enough to have it run properly as the only version I run is on a new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

To be honest, a lot of the scare mongering around using XP is a bit over the top. I would never recommend it to a regular PC user because regular PC users install all sorts of crap, but if you're responsible with what you're doing, then XP should still work fine - if you're using it offline, then I wouldn't see any issues with that at all.

Just set up a Limited user account and use that for your day to day stuff.

Advertisement