Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a Visa

Options
  • 20-09-2015 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

My company is sending me to the USA for 6 months and I was wondering if I need a visa. The US company will be paying my company a consultancy fee and I will be getting paid by my company in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, you most definitely would need a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Moving from Living Abroad to USA forum for more detailed answers

Yes you need a visa. While you can attend meetings or short training on the Visa Waiver, you cannot work in the USA, and in any case the VWP only lasts for 90 days. Your US company's immigration lawyer should be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Most definitely yes - and it won't be easy.

The odds are you will need to apply for b1/b2 but you'll need to justify it pretty damn hard. We have people come for 3 month rotations from europe and they all have a hard time on the VWP getting through the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Really? I thought an intercompany transfer wouldn't be too difficult?

Why are they having issues getting through the border? Because they think they will stay longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Torres999 wrote: »
    Really? I thought an intercompany transfer wouldn't be too difficult?

Why are they having issues getting through the border? Because they think they will stay longer?

I entered the country on an intercompany transfer where my contract was moved to the US etc. It took around 6 months to fully organize the visa (L1)

What you are doing is "business" which you can technically do on the VWP (you're being paid in Ireland) however...you can only stay a max of 90 days on the VWP. If you get a b1/b2 visa - you can stay 6 months. However...if you apply for the visa and are denied - you'll never be able use the VWP again

• Advertisement
Advertisement