Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a union

• 20-09-2015 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22

Ive just registered (trained os) and am wondering should i join TUI or ASTI? Whats the benefits of one over another? Ill be on the subbing slog so funds limitted. I dont qualify for the 1Euro TUI offer as i taught in Australia previously. TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

If the last seven years have proven anything it's that both the ASTI/TUI are effectively useless.

Quite frankly you'd be better off keeping your money in your pocket rather than wasting it on either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Alex Meier wrote: »
    If the last seven years have proven anything it's that both the ASTI/TUI are effectively useless.

Quite frankly you'd be better off keeping your money in your pocket rather than wasting it on either.

There's no point joining if you are going to be in a tui school one day and an Asti the day after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

There's no point joining if you are going to be in a tui school one day and an Asti the day after.

I saved about 60 on car ins. 10 on house ins with 'broker linked with union'. and 20 on health ins.
    also you get to vote on important issues.

how much are they looking for u to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Alex Meier wrote: »

The department would love every teacher to have your attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Join one and then settle into one or the other when you get your own ours. Schools tend to be either one or the other.

Despite the rolling over on many things during the recession, my Union got me an extra 4hrs 20 on my CID contract last year giving me full time. Worth it's weight in gold to me

• Advertisement

ya like yould be paying the unemployed rate so it cant be that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I saved about 60 on car ins. 10 on house ins with 'broker linked with union'. and 20 on health ins.
    also you get to vote on important issues.

how much are they looking for u to pay?

No job =no house, no car, no health insurance, and no money to join trade unions. When I do get a days work (a whole day, (not just two periods!) ) , I pay a bill for my parents whom I live with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Asti is €50 for substitute teachers for the year tui is 40

No job =no house, no car, no health insurance, and no money to join trade unions. When I do get a days work (a whole day, (not just two periods!) ) , I pay a bill for my parents whom I live with.

Fair enough, I was just throwing it out in case the OP got a run of sub work (or had other income!) and had insurance renewal up. Then maybe he could negate some of the cost.

Advertisement