Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Jazz Festival

• 20-09-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

The Limerick Jazz festival is taking place on the weekend of sep. 25-27.

There are a few free events scheduled (mainly on the saturday afternoon), and several evening gigs taking place over the weekend. For the full programme of events, and other details, see:
    http://www.limerickjazzfestival.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

lockman wrote: »
    The Limerick Jazz festival is taking place on the weekend of sep. 25-27.

There are a few free events scheduled (mainly on the saturday afternoon), and several evening gigs taking place over the weekend. For the full programme of events, and other details, see:
    http://www.limerickjazzfestival.com/

Bumping this as it takes place this weekend.

If you are looking for something to do around town this weekend.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Cheers. Thanks for that.

I still haven't been able to figure out why Van Morrisson played his one and only gig in Ireland last year at this particular festival. Sadly, he's not back this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

zulutango wrote: »
    Cheers. Thanks for that.

I still haven't been able to figure out why Van Morrisson played his one and only gig in Ireland last year at this particular festival. Sadly, he's not back this year!

Funding from City of Culture? They had David Sandborn too if I remember correctly. Lineup is back to it's usual fare this year, no massive international acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Why would Van Morrison be mentioned in connection with a jazz festival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

ttenneb wrote:

He's into jazz isn't he?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

ttenneb wrote: »

Because he's a very rounder musician that is sqilled in many genres

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Morrison
    wkipedia wrote:
    Much of Morrison's music is structured around the conventions of soul music and R&B, such as the popular singles "Brown Eyed Girl", "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)", "Domino" and "Wild Night". An equal part of his catalogue consists of lengthy, loosely connected, spiritually inspired musical journeys that show the influence of Celtic tradition, jazz, and stream-of-consciousness narrative

zulutango wrote: »
    He's into jazz isn't he?

Van Morrison and jazz? You must be joking. Why not Daniel O'Donnell or Paddy Cole?

He may be sqilled in many genres, but a jazz musician he ain't. Or a jazz singer. Pop or rock n' roll maybe.

My dear departed father used an expression which always made me chuckle with delight. He never heard Van but he would have referred to him as "an impostor. I would have agreed with him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Fair enough, he mightn't be a noted jazz person, but he is still a great name to have associated with the festival.

My apologies for my typo earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

ttenneb wrote: »
    He may be sqilled in many genres, but a jazz musician he ain't. Or a jazz singer. Pop or rock n' roll maybe.

My dear departed father used an expression which always made me chuckle with delight. He never heard Van but he would have referred to him as "an impostor. I would have agreed with him.

He may not be thought of as a jazz musician but some of his songs have a heavy jazz influence, such as Moondance.

Regardless, Jazz festivals all over the world get in artists that aren't strictly jazz. I've seen the Blind Boys of Alabama at the Vancouver Jazz Festival and other acts much further away from jazz than Van Morrison. It's not essential for every act to be like Miles Davis or John Coltrane to play a Jazz fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Some 'jazz' artists playing the Cork Jazz Festival:

Gary Numan
    The Coronas
    The Boomtown Rats
    Jack L
    Aslan
    Blackalicious

magma69 wrote: »
    Some 'jazz' artists playing the Cork Jazz Festival:

Gary Numan