Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cant handle their booze

• 20-09-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭

Do you knw any people who can't handle there drink ?? I have a friend who gets aggressive after he drinks about 5 ciders, someone who gets drunk after 2 glasses of wine.

I can't drink fast so it takes me ages to get drunk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Yeah, me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd love to get drunk on 2 pints. Much cheaper. My dads an alarmist so I get given out to I'd I drink too fast, too much in his presence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm pissed after 3 pints. I don't get aggressive or anything but that seems to be my limit. Anymore than that I'm fecked.

I drink fast, so can be well oiled after 7 or 8 pints in a couple of hours. And then move to the silly stuff.

I react well, all wisecracks and chat, can even get out in the dance floor. Not sure that means "I can handle drink" though, I'm still drunk...just a happy drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm pissed after 3 pints. I don't get aggressive or anything but that seems to be my limit. Anymore than that I'm fecked.

I can't handle drunk people when I'm sober/half way there. You can't have a normal conversation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do you knw any people who can't handle there drink ?? I have a friend who gets aggressive after he drinks about 5 ciders, someone who gets drunk after 2 glasses of wine.

I can't drink fast so it takes me ages to get drunk

There's not being able to handle your drink, and then there are idiots like that guy who spoil it for everyone else.

I'm able to handle my drink, I think more people can than can't, and it's the aggressive clowns that fuel the myth of there being a 'drinking problem' in this country, just because the most aggressive element are the most obvious.

I was an alcoholic for nearly ten years, I was never an aggressive dickhead. I was a dickhead in plenty of other ways though, some people would say I still am a dickhead, but at least I'm not an alcoholic dickhead now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I hate when you get too fùcked from a certain type of drink, and you can't drink that type of drink ever again 'cus it tastes like that time you almost died.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I can't handle drunk people when I'm sober/half way there. You can't have a normal conversation

It's a nuisance when you're out with heavy drinkers, especially if you're doing rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I cry when I drink vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I tend to drink fast for the first five or so drinks and then take it slow after that. Get's me nice and drunk but not messy either. I like to think of it like doing sprints on a treadmill as stupid as it may sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I've created an informal list of rules for myself to prevent myself getting too drunk, because I don't want to ruin my night or worse, my friend's.

1: don't do shots. You've never gone home and sad "I just wasn't drunk enough tonight. Should have done more concentrated measures of alcohol."

2: drink a pint of water for every third pint of beer. Change this to every second if you feel yourself getting too drunk.

3: don't drink wine.

4: don't smoke weed after a few pints unless home and safe and able to go straight to bed.

5: avoid confrontation at all costs, particularly with strangers over silly stuff. You'll forget how they offended you but not how you got a criminal record or how someone bounced their head off a curb.

6: go and eat a meal if you feel you're getting too drunk.

7: only drink water with your food. Watch how drunk the ****ers drinking the house red with their meal after a rake of pints are going to be soon.

8: stop drinking entirely if you are feeling a lack p control or very impulsive. No shame in going on the water for the last few hours.

9: don't cave under peer pressure. Drunk people are the worst for trying to convince you to drink more, do shots, make fun of you for drinking water but stick to your guns. They won't pick up the pieces for you.

Looks like work when it's all written down like that but it's usually easily achievable and I haven't had a night wrecked by too much drink in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I cry when I drink vodka.

Whilst you sit at home alone on an Irish "crying chair" I hope. We have all been there. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I can't handle my booze....

So I use a straw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I get drunk after 3 pints if my stomachs empty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

About 10 pints of bud and I'd be wobbly
    5 pint bottles of bulmers and I'm wobbly
    2 vodkas and I'm fcuked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I could drink half bottle of whiskey go to bed at 12am and be up at 6am for work without any bother :)

I've attached an image of me drunk, on a crying chair.

2 vodkas and I'm fcuked

Weird that the intake you can handle is halved for Bulmers. The alcohol content is fairly close between burners and bud I would have thought? I wonder why it makes such a difference to you.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Weird that the intake you can handle is halved for Bulmers. The alcohol content is fairly close between burners and bud I would have thought? I wonder why it makes such a difference to you.

The huge amount of sugar perhaps... White cider is complete rocket fuel and in fact you only think you have saw someone drunk until you see a white cider drinker drunk. I'm not allowed to drink it anymore as it turns me into a Marilyn Manson type loon.Their breath could power a Delorean car time machine without the need for a flux capacitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

timthumbni wrote: »
    The huge amount of sugar perhaps... White cider is complete rocket fuel and in fact you only think you have saw someone drunk until you see a white cider drinker drunk. I'm not allowed to drink it anymore as it turns me into a Marilyn Manson type loon.Their breath could power a Delorean car time machine without the need for a flux capacitor.

Oh really? I never knew the sugar content mattered. That must be why different drinks have different effects on me, I always just put it down to coincidence though, like how much Id eaten or my mood etc. Beer usually just makes me drowsy and stupid, no fun to be around when Im drunk off beer. Vodka and mixer makes me loud and chatty and in the mood for partying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I've created an informal list of rules for myself to prevent myself getting too drunk, because I don't want to ruin my night or worse, my friend's.

1: don't do shots. You've never gone home and sad "I just wasn't drunk enough tonight. Should have done more concentrated measures of alcohol."

2: drink a pint of water for every third pint of beer. Change this to every second if you feel yourself getting too drunk.

4: don't smoke weed after a few pints unless home and safe and able to go straight to bed.

5: avoid confrontation at all costs, particularly with strangers over silly stuff. You'll forget how they offended you but not how you got a criminal record or how someone bounced their head off a curb.

7: only drink water with your food. Watch how drunk the ****ers drinking the house red with their meal after a rake of pints are going to be soon.

8: stop drinking entirely if you are feeling a lack p control or very impulsive. No shame in going on the water for the last few hours.

9: don't cave under peer pressure. Drunk people are the worst for trying to convince you to drink more, do shots, make fun of you for drinking water but stick to your guns. They won't pick up the pieces for you.

Looks like work when it's all written down like that but it's usually easily achievable and I haven't had a night wrecked by too much drink in years.

I bet your tremendous fun

I have, usually happens at the end of the night though when I say "feck Im not drunk enough" and go to the bar for a few shots or doubles etc.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Oh really? I never knew the sugar content mattered. That must be why different drinks have different effects on me, I always just put it down to coincidence though, like how much Id eaten or my mood etc. Beer usually just makes me drowsy and stupid, no fun to be around when Im drunk off beer. Vodka and mixer makes me loud and chatty and in the mood for partying.

I'm no scientist but if you ever look at street drinkers they always seem to be drinking white or normal cider. These people are experts when it comes to booze. I would always trust their opinion.

Personally I have huge hangovers no matter what I drink. If you ate something that caused you to be sick you would stay clear of it. For some reason alcohol is different. Not very smart probably when you think about it. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Duff wrote: »
    I hate when you get too fùcked from a certain type of drink, and you can't drink that type of drink ever again 'cus it tastes like that time you almost died.

Me and Southern Comfort aren't friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Duff wrote: »

Dublin Dry Gin. The blue stuff. On a plane to Ibiza. I can't even look at a bottle of the stuff, and that must have been 15 years ago.

Southern Comfort. Tallaght. Don't remember too much apart from the taste on its way back out. Must have been 20 years ago. I still can't touch the stuff.

It's a nuisance when you're out with heavy drinkers, especially if you're doing rounds.

Don't do rounds with heavy drinkers if you're not one yourself. Recipe for disaster. I only do rounds early on in the night and only if there's only two or three of us. Just as it gets the evening going as everyone doesn't have to be off to the bar all the time. Then I get the hell out of the round system.

I have, usually happens at the end of the night though when I say "feck Im not drunk enough" and go to the bar for a few shots or doubles etc.

Why do you want to get more drunk at that stage when you're about to head home? What's the point?

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Why do you want to get more drunk at that stage when you're about to head home? What's the point?

Because I don't want to end up and home and feel Im not drunk enough so I try to sort it out before I leave the bar! Feels a bit of a waste of a night out if I'm not drunk enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I don't agree for the "1 for the road" phrase commonplace in the Irish context either

• Advertisement

Don't do rounds with heavy drinkers if you're not one yourself. Recipe for disaster. I only do rounds early on in the night and only if there's only two or three of us. Just as it gets the evening going as everyone doesn't have to be off to the bar all the time. Then I get the hell out of the round system.

Rounds are a joke unless youse are all drinking the same thing, pints etc. once someone adds on mixers and other nonsense you may as well take the money out of your wallet and burn it.

I particularly respect the vodka and mixer drinkers who whenever it's their round skip the mixer and ration their previous mixer. These types should be shot. Plain and simple. :-)

I'm sorry that my harm reduction approach to drug taking isn't exciting enough for you. Anyway, you're completely wrong. It does be great craic, I have those rules printed out and I hand them out at the start of the night and scold people for breaking any of them. Great ice breaker.

All solid advice.

Has anyone ever experience withering or confused looks from barpeople when they ask for water? I have a lot.

Yeah, because drunks are all fascinating.

Because I don't want to end up and home and feel Im not drunk enough so I try to sort it out before I leave the bar! Feels a bit of a waste of a night out if I'm not drunk enough.

That is so strange. That's the least important part of the night to feel you're not drunk enough. You'll be off to bed soon anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

A friend of mine,one of the the nicest people you could ever meet.....add alcohol into the equation and its truly horrible to watch,a case of lights are on but nobodies home.thankfully he's off the booze now but has a books worth of stories from his binges.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry that my harm reduction approach to drug taking isn't exciting enough for you. Anyway, you're completely wrong. It does be great craic, I have those rules printed out and I hand them out at the start of the night and scold people for breaking any of them. Great ice breaker.

You're like the opposite of a 12 pubs of Xmas organiser. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

timthumbni wrote: »
    The huge amount of sugar perhaps...
    There is not much more sugar in bulmers than most mainstream beers. You can estimate it from the calories they quote.

If sugar really did have such a dramatic effect you would hear of young lads downing sweets and eating spoons of sugar and mixing with lucozade and other high energy/sugar drinks.
    2 vodkas and I'm fcuked
    2 shots of smirnoff has just a tiny bit more alcohol than a pint of bulmers. Are you drinking this after a rake of pints?

Because I don't want to end up and home and feel Im not drunk enough so I try to sort it out before I leave the bar!
    Has this actually happened much? you gotten home and are cursing yourself for not drinking more?

I see people switching to spirits at the end of the night, some of them saying they can no longer drink beer since their stomach is already brimming with beer, yet to take effect.

That is so strange. That's the least important part of the night to feel you're not drunk enough. You'll be off to bed soon anyway.

Well unless I hit the drinks cabinet at home.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I get drunk after 3 pints if my stomachs empty

Maybe that's why I get so drunk after 3 pints. I usually drink on an empty stomach, well I'd have to wait at least an hour after eating anyway. I just can't mix alcohol and food; I always feel sick afterwards. That's why I hate weddings and Christmas parties. Once I have a big meal I can't drink. I feel too full.

Cider makes you ride her. ;)

Cider is a different beast altogether. From my experience it gets you drunk from the legs up. I could be sitting at a bar drinking cider and I'd notice nothing. Then as soon as I stand up it just hits me. Although I get far worse hangovers from drinking lager. Budweiser is like headache in a can.

Well unless I hit the drinks cabinet at home.

Then it makes even less sense to be rushing off to the bar!

"Please barkeep, continue to overcharge me for booze, even though I have my own at home which I will soon imbibe"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I can

You're like the opposite of a 12 pubs of Xmas organiser. :pac:

Haha! In honesty I just keep the head down and do my own thing. Nothing rubs some heavy drinkers up the wrong way like one of the gang not going at the same pace as them. I know some people think the attitude I take towards drink must be a buzzkill but I actually enjoy myself much more now that I've learned what works for me and sticking to it. I'm able to pretty much guarantee that I'll last the distance of a night without being a slurring mess bumping in to people on the dance floor etc.

It also really helps with the hangover which is great, because I get really bad ones and my 2 kids don't respect my right to sit in a dark and silent room promising I'll never drink that much again.

Nox's attitude towards a night out is alien to me but different strokes for different folks, I suppose. How many pints of Guinness (that's your drink of choice if I remember correctly?) until you're what you would consider drunk Nox? if you don't mind me asking.

Haha! In honesty I just keep the head down and do my own thing. Nothing rubs some heavy drinkers up the wrong way like one of the gang not going at the same pace as them. I know some people think the attitude I take towards drink must be a buzzkill but I actually enjoy myself much more now that I've learned what works for me and sticking to it.

Yes, there are so many people who consider you a dry shíte if you don't get shítfaced on a night out. Gotta tell them, being a dry shíte and the amount you drink are mutually exclusive things. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Jesus!!!

Nothing like an alcohol-fuelled night of fun ........... with rules. :rolleyes:

Nox's attitude towards a night out is alien to me but different strokes for different folks, I suppose. How many pints of Guinness (that's your drink of choice if I remember correctly?) until you're what you would consider drunk Nox? if you don't mind me asking.

Lot of factors in that, like pace of drinking, amount of food etc and also what defines drunk.

On an all day session drinking at a relaxed pace I would count myself as being fairly well on it but not totally pissed after maybe 12 to 14 pints. If pints are being swallowed down and no food was had this would obviously reduce.

I rarely get totally drink on pints anyway as I'd normally change to spirits after 8 or 10 pints, things like wedding, all day sessions id wait longer on pints alright. Id usually throw back 3 or 4 double vodkas and a shot or two after 8 or 10 pints on a night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Jesus!!!

Nothing like an alcohol-fuelled night of fun ........... with rules. :rolleyes:

The rules are in his head and allow him to have a good night all night.

Some alcohol can be a good social lubricant and enjoyable for some people.

Some people wake up with bruises, their property missing and no recollection of how their night ended or what they may have done. That isn't a good thing.

laugh wrote: »
    The rules are in his head and allow him to have a good night all night.

Some alcohol can be a good social lubricant and enjoyable for some people.

Some people wake up with bruises, their property missing and no recollection of how their night ended or what they may have done. That isn't a good thing.

So why is he/she handing out a print-out of "The Rules" AND actually scolding rule-breakers??? Come on ffs!!! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

So why is he/she handing out a print-out of "The Rules" AND actually scolding rule-breakers??? Come on ffs!!! :D

He was joking...

Amirani wrote: »
    He was joking...

I would hope so ........ sober joking of course. :pac:

Eh, what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement