Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cant handle their booze

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lot of factors in that, like pace of drinking, amount of food etc and also what defines drunk.

On an all day session drinking at a relaxed pace I would count myself as being fairly well on it but not totally pissed after maybe 12 to 14 pints. If pints are being swallowed down and no food was had this would obviously reduce.

I rarely get totally drink on pints anyway as I'd normally change to spirits after 8 or 10 pints, things like wedding, all day sessions id wait longer on pints alright. Id usually throw back 3 or 4 double vodkas and a shot or two after 8 or 10 pints on a night out

I'd have dinner first and then drink. 4/5 pints of cider and then 3/4 vodkas and cokes, shot or 2 and I'm happy. If u want to get drunk faster than drink through a straw. Never really get the chance to drink all day due to funds etc hopefully during the rugby World Cup I can get a day or 2 drinking

Not a fan of this macho style drinking' I can drink more than you' type thing

The worst drinkers are the people who go out once a year (mostly xmas party's) and think they can do what they want

I've never understood the "drinking out of a straw gets you drunk quicker" thing. How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lot of factors in that, like pace of drinking, amount of food etc and also what defines drunk.

On an all day session drinking at a relaxed pace I would count myself as being fairly well on it but not totally pissed after maybe 12 to 14 pints. If pints are being swallowed down and no food was had this would obviously reduce.

I rarely get totally drink on pints anyway as I'd normally change to spirits after 8 or 10 pints, things like wedding, all day sessions id wait longer on pints alright. Id usually throw back 3 or 4 double vodkas and a shot or two after 8 or 10 pints on a night out

You're one of those guys that has a liver of steel, some constitution and amazing "pacing yourself" skills!! There's no way I could drink all day! At weddings I have a small reception glass of bubbly. I don't drink during the dinner, I have some red at desert and then have a few drinks before the music sets in. By midnight I'm usually bunched. I'm not fond of being publicly drunk, so if I feel I'm pissed I'll head to bed. I like to keep the weight off, big belly doesn't bode well for fitness and the sports I get up to. Booze puts weight on me in no time, I'm a good bit older than you so it affects me more.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd have dinner first and then drink. 4/5 pints of cider and then 3/4 vodkas and cokes, shot or 2 and I'm happy. If u want to get drunk faster than drink through a straw. Never really get the chance to drink all day due to funds etc hopefully during the rugby World Cup I can get a day or 2 drinking

Not a fan of this macho style drinking' I can drink more than you' type thing

The worst drinkers are the people who go out once a year (mostly xmas party's) and think they can do what they want

There's no way Nox001 is boasting, he's just being Nox001... He's simply telling us how much he drinks, and in typical Nox form, he's being truthful! :)

Used to be a very heavy drinker. Drunk 7 nights a week type. I was never a bad drunk though....once I stayed away from whiskey.

I'm not allowed to drink whiskey. My friends, family and wife insist on this rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

MadDog76 wrote: »
    So why is he/she handing out a print-out of "The Rules" AND actually scolding rule-breakers??? Come on ffs!!! :D

Ha yeah, I don't actually do that. That was actually the first time I've ever written them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Out of the 3 mates I regularly hang out with, one of them doesn't drink alcohol at all (same as me) and the other two absolutely neck it, but they can't handle it at all, they get so drunk its not even funny. Me and the non drinking mate tried to tell them this, and they didn't believe they got drunk at all, so we ended up getting a few videos recorded on iPhones from nights out to show them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I can handle it, yeah. Tend to go at my own speed and know my limits. I know people who get sloppy drunk soon enough, depends on what they drink though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

timthumbni wrote: »
    Whilst you sit at home alone on an Irish "crying chair" I hope. We have all been there. Lol.
    timthumbni wrote: »
    I've attached an image of me drunk, on a crying chair.

A fairly accurate representation of me the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I'm sorry that my harm reduction approach to drug taking isn't exciting enough for you. Anyway, you're completely wrong. It does be great craic, I have those rules printed out and I hand them out at the start of the night and scold people for breaking any of them. Great ice breaker.
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    So why is he/she handing out a print-out of "The Rules" AND actually scolding rule-breakers??? Come on ffs!!! :D
    Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Eh, what?

What what? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Ha yeah, I don't actually do that. That was actually the first time I've ever written them down.

I had hoped thought you were joking! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do you knw any people who can't handle there drink ?? I have a friend who gets aggressive after he drinks about 5 ciders, someone who gets drunk after 2 glasses of wine.

I can't drink fast so it takes me ages to get drunk

I only drink lager and can tolerate massive quantities of it too. I'll be technically drunk but I don't slur or stagger. Just glassy eyed, flushed and cracking dumb jokes and talking too much. Any other drink and I can immediately feel my legs start to buckle. I like a bloody mary once in a while but the vodka definitely has a much different effect on me so I tend to avoid it. I can't handle spirits and I don't really like them. Nope it's frosty pilsner for me all the way and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It got to the stage for me that I couldn't handle any booze so eventually I stopped, eventually .

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You're one of those guys that has a liver of steel, some constitution and amazing "pacing yourself" skills!! There's no way I could drink all day! At weddings I have a small reception glass of bubbly. I don't drink during the dinner, I have some red at desert and then have a few drinks before the music sets in.

In my group of friends I'd be pretty standard but there is one or two who can handle a lot more at times, we would all drink to a similar level to me on a night out or at a wedding etc.

I wouldn't really say I have pacing myself skills, I just can handle a fair number of pints (once the pace doesn't stay at 3 pints an hour anyway or a similar fast pace). It would be fairly normal for us (me and other friends) to have 3 pints drank before even getting to the hotel where the reception as there is almost always pitstop after the church. Glass or two of bubbly at the arrival, maybe another 2 or 3 pints in the hotel bar before the dinner. Pint or two during the dinner along with few glasses of wine. Then it really depends on the day how many more pints are had before switching to spirits but lets say at least another 3 or 4 and then hit the spirits (with mixers and some straight shots also) until the residents bar closes/I'm told to go to bed for being too drunk :pac: (normally the former).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

In my group of friends I'd be pretty standard but there is one or two who can handle a lot more at times, we would all drink to a similar level to me on a night out or at a wedding etc.

I wouldn't really say I have pacing myself skills, i just can handle a fair number of pints. It would be fairly normal for us (me and other frinds) to have 3 pints drank before even getting to the hotel where the reception as there is almost always pitstop after the church. Glass or two of bubbly at the arrival, maybe another 2 or 3 pints in the hotel bar before the dinner. Pint or two during the dinner along with few glasses of wine. Then it really depends on the day how many more pints are had before switching to spirits but lets say at least another 3 or 4 and then hit the spirits (with mixers and some straight shots also) until the residents bar closes/I'm told to go to bed for being too drunk :pac: (normally the former).

Same with me and my friends. Usually it's 6-8 cans then two or three in the local and then a few more in town, perhaps 4 or 5. Can remember everything if it's just beer so stay away from spirits.
    Or if there's decent soccer on for the day start around 12 in the pub and finish around 3am in the morning. Would consume around 15 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There's not being able to handle your drink, and then there are idiots like that guy who spoil it for everyone else.

I'm able to handle my drink, I think more people can than can't, and it's the aggressive clowns that fuel the myth of there being a 'drinking problem' in this country, just because the most aggressive element are the most obvious.

I was an alcoholic for nearly ten years, I was never an aggressive dickhead. I was a dickhead in plenty of other ways though, some people would say I still am a dickhead, but at least I'm not an alcoholic dickhead now.

How can you say you can handle your drink and then call yourself an alcoholic?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My no. 1 rule for avoiding getting shítfaced: no jagermeister under any circumstances.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement