Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neck chaffing solution

• 20-09-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

I had a moment of clarity after my last open water/neck burning swim session.
    I'd seen someone at a triathlon over the summer with tape on their calf and did a search to find out what it was, Kinesiology tape. Didn't think any more of until my neck was in a bad way after a few open water swims.
    So this morning I applied a 200mm strip over the area that was getting chaffed, swam 2.1K and "Ta da" no chaffing.

Got the tape on line from lifestyle sport €13 delivered for a 5M roll, so I'll get another 24 swims, 52 cents a swim.
    Shaved my neck yesterday to avoid any waxing type experience and the tape came off handy enough after the swim.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

does bodyglide not work for you? i can't imagine going through the taping process for every swim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

mossym wrote: »
    does bodyglide not work for you? i can't imagine going through the taping process for every swim

Never tried it, read reports i wasn't any use.
    The "taping process" wasn't a challenge!

Second 2K swim using the tape with no sign of chaffing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

bradnailer wrote: »
    Never tried it, read reports i wasn't any use.
    The "taping process" wasn't a challenge!

Used body glide for years, no issues, same as anyone I know. Have never heard of anyone taping for chaffing before. Whatever works for you, but seems like massive overkill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Used BodyGlide over the years for swims up to 2k. Missed a spot once and chewed my neck up painfully.
    Then I used a buff I got free at a Tri event. Round the neck, tucked in all the way with just enough out to make a collar. Used it now in swims up to 4k; not a bother.

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    Used BodyGlide over the years for swims up to 2k. Missed a spot once and chewed my neck up painfully.
    Then I used a buff I got free at a Tri event. Round the neck, tucked in all the way with just enough out to make a collar. Used it now in swims up to 4k; not a bother.

Same princable as the tape I suppose, don't fancy applying goop to my neck and maybe still ending up raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Is the chaffing due to a wetsuit?

Freddio wrote: »
    Is the chaffing due to a wetsuit?

I hope so; or we've been having a VERY different conversation than I thought...:eek:

I hope so; or we've been having a VERY different conversation than I thought...:eek:

If it is then a simple solution is to rub Vaseline on the parts of the wetsuit that's causing it

I was under the impression that oil-based lubricants like Vaseline are damaging to Neoprene?

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that oil-based lubricants like Vaseline are damaging to Neoprene?

It's not so much the lubricant I was meaning as putting it on the contact points. It worked for me on an open water suit this year.

Advertisement