Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swearing - a ****ing **** way of expressing yourself?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

Can anyone come up with a reason why fuck, bollox, seeyounexttuesday etc became offensive?

Obvious surely. To get on in the world you have to get on with people. That includes saying the kind of things they want to hear.

If you don't want to "get on " then you don't bother (so much).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

amandstu wrote: »
    Obvious surely. To get on in the world you have to get on with people. That includes saying the kind of things they want to hear.

If you don't want to "get on " then you don't bother (so much).

Is it the sound or pronunciation that hurts their/your sensibilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Now, I curse like a sailor, I use curse words to emphasise, to add a bit of colour, as adjectives. However, when I'm actually angry I don't curse at people, because that would be rude :pac:

I'm the same, I'm very sweary in day to day life, but if I'm tearing strips off someone I probably won't swear that much, or at all.

Swear words can be filler words that make sentences have a much better rhythm, no way does using them properly indicate that a person is stupid or inarticulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is it the sound or pronunciation that hurts their/your sensibilities?
    Both. In so far as I have sensibilities I would like other people's behaviour to acknowledge that I am the centre of the universe. So anything that contradicts that must be a no no.

If I use swear language , then I expect my subjects to do the same. If I like pepsi then you can be in my good books by not obviously showing a preference for diet coke.

And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

amandstu wrote: »
    Both. In so far as I have sensibilities I would like other people's behaviour to acknowledge that I am the centre of the universe. So anything that contradicts that must be a no no.

If I use swear language , then I expect my subjects to do the same. If I like pepsi then you can be in my good books by not obviously showing a preference for diet coke.

And so on.

Cushty! :cool:

Advertisement