Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bad day, every day

• 20-09-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Since I went back to school I've been in a down mood. I don't know if it's just school or what but I just can't seem to get out of it. I'm blocking all my friends out, some of them I've seen there true colours and don't know what to do anymore. There is loads of 18tg parties on atm and I'm invited to none, I just feel like I'm always in the way in school. I was thinking about moving but I'm in 6th year and to move to another school would be hard enough without it being your last year. I'm fighting with my parents all the time and can't concentrate on anything. I feel like I'm just existing not living it's like my world is falling down around me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Part of it is your age, but I think it might help if you made an appointment to see your school counsellor, or if you don't have one, speak to your class tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

spurious wrote: »
    Part of it is your age, but I think it might help if you made an appointment to see your school counsellor, or if you don't have one, speak to your class tutor.

I went to see my school counsellor on Thursday didn't do much. I am a nice person (I think) but I just always seem to come out as the bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Sorry to hear you are feeling so low. If your school counsellor didn't help then maybe see your GP (family doctor) tomorrow. I went through a similar period myself and my GP helped me through it. You probably won't like this but I would also suggest talking to your parents or older sibling too. Hope you are feeling better soon, try not to let the pressure of exams overwhelm you.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

I am sorry that you are feeling like this. I think it would be a good idea to talk to your parents or another family member. I also agree with the other posters that it might be a good idea to visit your GP. Its important to talk so please make sure you share your thoughts and feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I went to see my school counsellor on Thursday didn't do much. I am a nice person (I think) but I just always seem to come out as the bad one.

You come across as a nice person, op. Don't give up on the school counsellor, it can take a little time to sort through stuff. Don't forget, it's ok not to feel ok! Well done for realising it and double well done for telling someone.

For sure you can also speak to your gp or you can text Console if you would like to speak to an independent qualified counsellor:

http://console.ie/social/text-the-word-help-to-51444-if-you-need-someone-to-talk-to-we-are-open-24-hours-a-day-7-days-a-week-365-days-a-year/

Best of luck! You will come through this!! :)

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you are feeling so low. If your school counsellor didn't help then maybe see your GP (family doctor) tomorrow. I went through a similar period myself and my GP helped me through it. You probably won't like this but I would also suggest talking to your parents or older sibling too. Hope you are feeling better soon, try not to let the pressure of exams overwhelm you.

Thank you! It's not even the exams that are stressing me out at the moment. It's just feeling left out and like no one is there. I know people say there is always someone but it really doesn't feel it.

gingergirl wrote: »
    I am sorry that you are feeling like this. I think it would be a good idea to talk to your parents or another family member. I also agree with the other posters that it might be a good idea to visit your GP. Its important to talk so please make sure you share your thoughts and feelings

Hi, thanks I don't really want to speak to my parents as I'm just fighting with them a lot. The minute I leave my room they pick on me for something. I can't go visit the gp without them I'm 17, so they would want someone there

You come across as a nice person, op. Don't give up on the school counsellor, it can take a little time to sort through stuff. Don't forget, it's ok not to feel ok! Well done for realising it and double well done for telling someone.

For sure you can also speak to your gp or you can text Console if you would like to speak to an independent qualified counsellor:

http://console.ie/social/text-the-word-help-to-51444-if-you-need-someone-to-talk-to-we-are-open-24-hours-a-day-7-days-a-week-365-days-a-year/

Best of luck! You will come through this!! :)

Thank you so much :) I might send them a text now. I've just never been this low in my life and it's really scary

Another good place for help is Jigsaw. I can't post links but If you go to headstrong dot ie and look for jigsaw there might be a centre near you (ten across Ireland). They are not open Sunday's but will be able to see you during the week. If you feel really low tonight go to your nearest A and E- they will have an on-call doctor to talk to you.

Another good place for help is Jigsaw. I can't post links but If you go to headstrong dot ie and look for jigsaw there might be a centre near you (ten across Ireland). They are not open Sunday's but will be able to see you during the week. If you feel really low tonight go to your nearest A and E- they will have an on-call doctor to talk to you.

Hi, I just checked the closest one would be Kerry, which unfortunately is to far. Thanks again though

• Advertisement

Just checking in to see how you are doing today.

Just checking in to see how you are doing today.

Hi, thank you so much for checking back with me. It wasn't a great day today. I did manage to go into school, although late (10am). I was in a pretty foul mood and ended up snapping at nearly everyone. I left early and have been in bed since. I have been quite sick with a chest infection also. Not a great day really. :(

If you have a chest infection and are feeling physically unwell that can make you feel miserable. See your doctor tomorrow (with parent if needs be) and get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Re your earlier post I'm pretty sure you can take charge of your health care to an extent at 16 so you should be able to visit the GP on your own? Also if you're in cork or limerick there's a good few services even for teenagers, give it a google :) hope you feel better soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I went through something very similar last summer. Withdrew myself socially, always depressed.

It may be hard to believe or accept at times but it will pass. Everything does. It may take a few days, or a few weeks, or perhaps longer, but it will pass eventually. Some morning you'll wake up and you'll find that the spring in your step will be back, I guarantee it.

I went through something very similar last summer. Withdrew myself socially, always depressed.

It may be hard to believe or accept at times but it will pass. Everything does. It may take a few days, or a few weeks, or perhaps longer, but it will pass eventually. Some morning you'll wake up and you'll find that the spring in your step will be back, I guarantee it.

But I can't go on like this for that long. I want to be able to go into school without fighting with someone, or being snappy at them. I was to feel better than I do :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Are you incorporating much exercise into your week?
    It really is a good way to deal with stress.

Even simple things like taking breaks, getting fresh air and drinking lots of water can really go a long way and put you in a good mood.

If the school councillor didn't work out and if you want to feel better then you need to be active and take the first step. If this means talking to your parents or GP then that's what you have to do.

I disagree with the other poster. Things don't always sort themselves out. Best to deal with things during their early stages. Deal with it now before exam pressure really kicks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's OK not to feel OK,
    It's OK to ask for help.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Are you incorporating much exercise into your week?
    It really is a good way to deal with stress.

Even simple things like taking breaks, getting fresh air and drinking lots of water can really go a long way and put you in a good mood.

If the school councillor didn't work out and if you want to feel better then you need to be active and take the first step. If this means talking to your parents or GP then that's what you have to do.

I disagree with the other poster. Things don't always sort themselves out. Best to deal with things during their early stages. Deal with it now before exam pressure really kicks in.

Hi. Thanks for all that. I'm not in school today and have gone for a walk for about an hour. My mind does feel abit clearer but I'm till not the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Since I went back to school I've been in a down mood. I don't know if it's just school or what but I just can't seem to get out of it. I'm blocking all my friends out, some of them I've seen there true colours and don't know what to do anymore. There is loads of 18tg parties on atm and I'm invited to none, I just feel like I'm always in the way in school. I was thinking about moving but I'm in 6th year and to move to another school would be hard enough without it being your last year. I'm fighting with my parents all the time and can't concentrate on anything. I feel like I'm just existing not living it's like my world is falling down around me.
    Don't dwell on your friends and not being invited to parties, OP. You'll look back on this at a later stage of your life and wonder why you gave a crap about any of that! Think of all the people you'll meet in the future - in college, at work, travelling, or whatever you decide to do. School can be a very difficult time for many young people, especially if you're insecure and introverted. But things will likely improve for you afterward :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Hope you are feeling better today. Don't wish to sound like an annoying mother but make sure you are eating well, getting some light exercise and having adequate sleep. Also, if you are in Tipp area there is a peer support centre in Nenagh called Aras Follain 067 41906 who may be able to offer support and advice. Keep well

gingergirl wrote: »
    Hope you are feeling better today. Don't wish to sound like an annoying mother but make sure you are eating well, getting some light exercise and having adequate sleep. Also, if you are in Tipp area there is a peer support centre in Nenagh called Aras Follain 067 41906 who may be able to offer support and advice. Keep well

Thank you for that advice. I am trying to eat healthy and maintain health. I don't have much else to do at the moment. I just feel like I've been in such a down mood and not one of my friends would ask was I okay.

Talk to someone other than us behind the keyboard, a friend, a parent, a teacher you like and trust. Just do it dude, the hard part is making the move, easier from there on... even your gp. Just do it dude.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Talk to someone other than us behind the keyboard, a friend, a parent, a teacher you like and trust. Just do it dude, the hard part is making the move, easier from there on... even your gp. Just do it dude.

I just feel like j can't get my problems across and it will make it seem like I've nothing wrong only something small!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I just feel like j can't get my problems across and it will make it seem like I've nothing wrong only something small!
    Maybe you could write a letter to your parent, friend or counsellor articulating your problems. That way, you can get your points across without the barrier of social anxiety and without being interrupted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

There's no such thing as something small! All problems are relevant and you can't compare them to other people's problems - yours are just as important! If your mother had died but someone else's mother and father had died it wouldn't mean that you shouldn't be sad about your mother dying would it?! (Terrible example haha but you get the idea)
    Any mature person you talk will understand that it's a big deal to you so don't worry about that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I just feel like I've been in such a down mood and not one of my friends would ask was I okay.

That doesn't mean they don't care.

A problem shared is a problem halved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Plenty of good advice on general strategies to try and help with a low mood; however I would very strongly suggest going to see your GP as your first port of call.

I'm not trying to scare you and I'm certainly not implying that there's anything serious going on; but it is very important that you start tackling it head on and with a little bit of help.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    That doesn't mean they don't care.

What does it mean so

Advertisement