Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bad day, every day

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

OP at this stage looking at your posting pattern I think that the leaving cert forum isn't the right place for these questions and you should consider doing something about it in real life.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

What does it mean so

Maybe they have their own stuff going on?

Maybe you are very good at putting on a "good" face?

Do you have a friend/relative/teacher that you can trust? You've reached out here, and well done for taking that first step, now take the next one.

Did you get a chance to text that helpline? That might help you even see what the next step is.

We are all in your corner!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

Speaking from experience, and assuming you're a fella, teenage males tend to conform to the 'no emotional talk' stereotype. It's not surprising that one of your mates hasn't spoken to you about it, it's awkward for them and for you and they'd rather leave it. Sure it's probably better if they did, but teenage lads aren't really the best people to look for a pep talk from.

I'm a teenager myself and it seems weird but the first person I'd go to if I felt down is my GP. I barely know him but I guarantee you if I went he'd be exactly what I needed to get over the hump. Seeing as you said you were fighting with your parents earlier in the thread maybe they wouldn't be the best ones to go to right now, but it depends on them and I don't know how open they are. Trust me on this one, your GP is always there to help when it *seems* like no one else really wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Speaking from experience, and assuming you're a fella, teenage males tend to conform to the 'no emotional talk' stereotype. It's not surprising that one of your mates hasn't spoken to you about it, it's awkward for them and for you and they'd rather leave it. Sure it's probably better if they did, but teenage lads aren't really the best people to look for a pep talk from.

I'm a teenager myself and it seems weird but the first person I'd go to if I felt down is my GP. I barely know him but I guarantee you if I went he'd be exactly what I needed to get over the hump. Seeing as you said you were fighting with your parents earlier in the thread maybe they wouldn't be the best ones to go to right now, but it depends on them and I don't know how open they are. Trust me on this one, your GP is always there to help when it *seems* like no one else really wants to.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'm actually a girl not a guy! So you would expect my friends would be more open for me to talk too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

My mistake. I sort of assumed you were a lad because your friends didn't open up, but in fairness it's more to do with the age of your peer group more than the gender. Girls generally talk about it more often, though, but it really depends on your friends and whether they are open to a personal discussion like that. It's likely that they don't think anything is wrong, or if they do, they don't want to interfere with your personal issues as they feel like they might be stepping on toes a little bit.

Anyway, keep the head up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

My mistake. I sort of assumed you were a lad because your friends didn't open up, but in fairness it's more to do with the age of your peer group more than the gender. Girls generally talk about it more often, though, but it really depends on your friends and whether they are open to a personal discussion like that. It's likely that they don't think anything is wrong, or if they do, they don't want to interfere with your personal issues as they feel like they might be stepping on toes a little bit.

Anyway, keep the head up. :)

No problem, I can see how you thought it was a guy. Yeah may be so - but even for someone to say are you okay ? Even if you reply yeah that's it but I don't even get that! I haven't been in school in over a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Look at it another way. Have you thought about the welfare of others or asked how they are? People your age are often blind to other's emotions so don't feel neglected or left out. You need to reach out for help. GP is a good start or a trusted teacher. Don't let this episode of depression continue. You need help now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Throwaway27816

Hey OP, I wanted to reply to your thread because I feel like I can relate to you a bit. Like you, I'm not invited to many parties and I'm socially awkward and shy. I have a few girls that I hang out with in class but I only have one really good friend. I really enjoy being alone but I feel embarrassed and ashamed of myself when I'm almost always with just the one girl. I love her to bits but only having one friend has made me wonder what's wrong with me? I sometimes think everyone hates me and thinks I'm weird or a loner. I've wondered why don't people want to be friends with me?
    It's only recently that I've started to notice that people have tried to become friends with me, and I pushed them away. I was too shy to make an equal effort. I was self-absorbed, like most teenagers are. The people that tried to befriend me probably thought I disliked them when I wasn't as friendly to them as they were to me. Seeing as your friends are teenagers, they're probably thinking about their problems more than yours. When you snapped at them they might have been pissed off at you, but hunny, it doesn't mean they don't care about you! I know you feel like you have no one to talk to but I suggest you try and talk to a friend. Once they know what you're going through, they'll understand better and hopefully try to help you out.

As for your parents, they're only people too. I know the minute I get home my mom starts giving out to me about something or another. She gets mad at my sister literally ALL the time, but as soon as my sister leaves the room she expresses her concerns to me. My sister thinks our mom doesn't like her, but as an outsider looking in, I can see that mom absolutely adores her, but as is the nature of parent-child relationships, they get annoyed at each other and argue constantly. I urge you to please talk to your parents. If you find it difficult to get through the school day you need to know that there's somewhere comfortable and safe waiting for you.

And don't forget, it's your final year! How many of your primary school classmates are you still in touch with? Once you're out of school you might never see your classmates again so don't worry about them. **** their parties! Have your own fun! I used to feel so bleh when I'd be looking at stories of people in my year partying every week or when my friends went without me, but then I started thinking about the positives. I don't even like parties! I feel like an idiot hopping up and down with my hand in the air (does that even count as dancing?) and going around barely able to walk in my heels. Even if I was invited to some 18ths, I don't think I'd want to go. I'd be worried about who to talk to and what to to go and all the social cues etc. I'd much rather be relaxing at home doing something I love (art for me) or going into town or something. However, if you want to go to a party maybe you could invite a friend to go to a club/gig with you, or throw your own party!

Don't worry love, everyone has their ups and downs, our times will come! :D Don't worry about what others think of you, just be true to yourself. And if you don't feel ready to talk to anyone in rl yet, you can DM me, I'd want someone to do the same for me :)

Advertisement