Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out home queries

Options
  • 20-09-2015 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

How much of the rent is taken in tax? Also, would you lose your trs on your mortgage when you rent your house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thisname wrote: »
    How much of the rent is taken in tax? Also, would you lose your trs on your mortgage when you rent your house?

Yes you lose your TRS and as for tax on rent, all the info you need is here http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

You could still live there and rent a room at no tax liability up to €12,000.

Gis a clue about your circumstances.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

You could still live there and rent a room at no tax liability up to €12,000.

Gis a clue about your circumstances.:confused:

I'm moving for work purposes so I'll be house sharing near my work and renting out my own house. I've found tenants, they're moving in next week, rent is €600 per month. This covers my mortgage payment as it is now but with trs gone I will have to add to it. That's €42 not too bad but I probably should have charged a bit more per month to properly cover myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm moving for work purposes so I'll be house sharing near my work and renting out my own house. I've found tenants, they're moving in next week, rent is €600 per month. This covers my mortgage payment as it is now but with trs gone I will have to add to it. That's €42 not too bad but I probably should have charged a bit more per month to properly cover myself.

Covering your mortgage has nothing to do with it. You will pay tax on your rental profit which is the rent you receive less allowable expenses. Your mortgage payment is not an allowable expense (only 75% of the interest is).

Advertisement