Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Irish vocabulary

• 20-09-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭

Can a fluent Irish speaker please give me some simple Irish vocabulary? It will make me form sentences much easier! For example, English words like "of", "the", "that", "now". Even the variables (different ones for different sentences) would be useful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Can you post some examples of sentences you'd like translated? Those kinds of words tend to change depending on context and tense, but I'll give it a stab:

"That"

Past tense: I saw that he was drunk
    Chonaic mé go raibh sé ar meisce

Present tense: I see that you have a cat
    Feicim go bhfuil cat agat.

Future tense: I am sure that she will be at the party
    Táim cinnte go mbeidh sí ag an gcóisir

Conditional tense: I knew (that) she would be there
    Bhí a fhios agam go mbeadh sí ann

The above notes are about using "that + verb", specifically, the irregular verb "to be" - "Bí", which tends to be most commonly used. If you want to say things like "that she said", "that she did", the rule of thumb is to translate the verb part first, and then add "go+urú". E.g I want to say "I see that she eats meat."
    First of all I translate the "she eats meat" part = itheann sí (íosann sí if you're learning Connemara Irish :P )
    Then I add go+urú = go nitheann sí
    So the whole sentence is now: "Feicim go nitheann sí feoil.

This is the general rule of thumb, it works on most regular verbs but you'll find some exceptions in the irregular verbs, Bí being one of them. Other things you should note:
    -For using "that" in the past tense, replace "go" with gur.
    -To make it negative, e.g. "that she doesn't eat" add the word "nach" instead of "go" and "nár" instead of "gur", and add the urús: "Ní raibh a fhios agam nach itheann sí feoil" (I didn't know that she doesn't eat meat)

When "That"=object

That being said,.....
    É sin ráite,....

I am buying that one
    Tá mé ag ceannach an ceann sin

I hope this is of some help to you! Let me know if you need help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Can you post some examples of sentences you'd like translated? Those kinds of words tend to change depending on context and tense, but I'll give it a stab:

"That"

The above notes are about using "that + verb", specifically, the irregular verb "to be" - "Bí", which tends to be most commonly used. If you want to say things like "that she said", "that she did", the rule of thumb is to translate the verb part first, and then add "go+urú". E.g I want to say "I see that she eats meat."
    First of all I translate the "she eats meat" part = itheann sí (íosann sí if you're learning Connemara Irish :P )

This is the general rule of thumb, it works on most regular verbs but you'll find some exceptions in the irregular verbs, Bí being one of them. Other things you should note:
    -To make it negative, e.g. "that she doesn't eat" add the word "nach" instead of "go" and "nár" instead of "gur", and add the urús: "Ní raibh a fhios agam nach itheann sí feoil" (I didn't know that she doesn't eat meat)

When "That"=object

That being said,.....
    É sin ráite,....

I am buying that one

Yes I am aware of the variables of changes, that doesn't matter. You don't have to give me full sentences, just the variables of the word as I will know when to use it by the sound of it. For example, tá an duine EILE, the next person was or an tseachtain seo chugainn, the next week. Here are all the words I could think of right now. If there is no translation like "A", just say no t.

That - which you've done
    Then
    Now
    Before
    Beside
    Front
    Back
    Next - anymore variables?
    After
    Out
    So
    Use
    To
    Too
    From
    Of
    By
    In
    In the
    Up
    Down
    This
    Well (well, I have no more news, that kind of context)
    Over
    Think
    Know
    Do
    At
    I was given (is it tugadh?)

If I think of more, I will let ya know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The trouble is, you can't translate directly from English to Irish. You have to get the sense of what the English phrase is, and then find something similar in Irish.
    Individual words stuck together won't make sense.

spurious wrote: »
    The trouble is, you can't translate directly from English to Irish. You have to get the sense of what the English phrase is, and then find something similar in Irish.
    Individual words stuck together won't make sense.

Yeah ino, that's why I said "variables"

Then - Ansin
    Now - Anois
    Before - sula (when before a verb), roimh (before an object)
    Beside - In aice le
    Front - Os comhair ("in front")
    Back - Droim (body part)
    Ar cúl an tí ("at the back of the house"
    Cúlgháirdín - Back garden
    Next - The next one: An chéad ceann eile
    Next week: An tseachtain seo chugainn
    After - tar éis, i ndiadh
    Like - cosúil le
    Out - amach, amuigh
    So - chomh (plus an adjective)
    Use - Úsáid (infinitive)
    To - go, go dtí, chuig
    Too - "too quick": ró-thapa (note the h in tapa, always happens with ró)
    - "I am going too": Táim ag dul freisin
    From - "I am from China": "Is as an tSín mé"
    - "I got a letter from Michael": "Fuair mé litir ó Mhícheál" (note h in Mícheál"
    Of - This is where the tuisil ghinideach comes in, e.g. how to say "the theme of the poem"= téama an dái"n. I'll do a post on it if you like.
    By - thart
    In - i, sa
    In the - sa, san, sna, in san
    Up - Suas
    Down - Sias
    This - é seo, an ceann seo, sé seo
    Well (well, I have no more news, that kind of context) - Bhuel, but it's not used much, literally just the english word made to look Irish. "Anyway" = in aon chor
    Over - thar, thart
    Think - Ceap (infinitive of the verb)
    Know - "I know her" - Tá aithne agam uirthi (literally translated, "I have recognition on her"
    - "I know where she is" - "Tá a fhios agam cá bhfuil sí
    - "I know my spellings" - "Tá mo litriú ar eolas agam
    Do - Deán (infinitive of the verb
    At - ag
    I was given (is it tugadh?) - Tugadh____dom
    Hopefully - le cúnamh Dé (literally, "with the help of God")

• Advertisement

Then - Ansin
    Now - Anois
    Before - sula (when before a verb), roimh (before an object)
    Beside - In aice le
    Front - Os comhair ("in front")
    Back - Droim (body part)
    Ar cúl an tí ("at the back of the house"
    Cúlgháirdín - Back garden
    Next - The next one: An chéad ceann eile
    Next week: An tseachtain seo chugainn
    After - tar éis, i ndiadh
    Like - cosúil le
    Out - amach, amuigh
    So - chomh (plus an adjective)
    Use - Úsáid (infinitive)
    To - go, go dtí, chuig
    Too - "too quick": ró-thapa (note the h in tapa, always happens with ró)
    - "I am going too": Táim ag dul freisin
    From - "I am from China": "Is as an tSín mé"
    - "I got a letter from Michael": "Fuair mé litir ó Mhícheál" (note h in Mícheál"
    Of - This is where the tuisil ghinideach comes in, e.g. how to say "the theme of the poem"= téama an dái"n. I'll do a post on it if you like.
    By - thart
    In - i, sa
    In the - sa, san, sna, in san
    Up - Suas
    Down - Sias
    This - é seo, an ceann seo, sé seo
    Well (well, I have no more news, that kind of context) - Bhuel, but it's not used much, literally just the english word made to look Irish. "Anyway" = in aon chor
    Over - thar, thart
    Think - Ceap (infinitive of the verb)
    Know - "I know her" - Tá aithne agam uirthi (literally translated, "I have recognition on her"
    - "I know where she is" - "Tá a fhios agam cá bhfuil sí
    - "I know my spellings" - "Tá mo litriú ar eolas agam
    Do - Deán (infinitive of the verb
    At - ag
    I was given (is it tugadh?) - Tugadh____dom
    Hopefully - le cúnamh Dé (literally, "with the help of God")

Ok thank you very much

Anybody know if there is a way of showing when "go - guh" is used in Irish or do you have to just learn off phrases?

Can somebody tell me all the different Copulas they know plus verbs like the following one (after the copulas), le do thoil

For example,

Is maith - Like
    Is fuath - Hate

For example,

Tá _____ agam - I have

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Anybody know if there is a way of showing when "go - guh" is used in Irish or do you have to just learn off phrases?

In English you can avoid 'go' (that); in Irish you can't

For example, I know you are here = I know that you are here.
    In Irish you can only use the 2nd version.

"Tá a fhios agam tá tú anseo" --> mícheart
    "Tá a fhios agam [go + tá] tú anseo" ................ [go+tá = go bhfuil]
    "Tá a fhios agam go bhfuil tú anseo"

"Chuala mé chuaigh tú go dtí an siopa inné --> mícheart
    Chuala mé [go + chuaigh] tú go dtí an siopa inné ............... [go+chuaigh = go ndeachaigh]
    Chuala mé go ndeachaigh tú go dtí an siopa inné

Dá mbuafainn an Lotto, is dóigh liom cheannóinn oileán --> mícheart
    Dá mbuafainn an Lotto, is dóigh liom [go + cheannóinn] oileán.........[go+cheannóinn = go gceannóinn
    Dá mbuafainn an Lotto, is dóigh liom go gceannóinn oileán

Can somebody tell me all the different Copulas they know plus verbs like the following one (after the copulas), le do thoil

For example,

Is maith - Like
    Is fuath - Hate

For example,

Tá _____ agam - I have

The second isn't a copula so forget about that for the moment.

Samplaí den chopail

Is dalta mé / Ní dalta mé / Chuala sé gur dalta mé / Chuala sé nach dalta mé
    Ba dhalta mé / Níor dhalta mé / Chuala sé gur dhalta mé / Chuala sé nár dhalta mé

Is ailtire mé / Ní ailtire mé / Chuala sé gur ailtire/fear mé / Chuala sé nach ailtire/fear mé
    B'ailtire mé / Níorbh ailtire mé / Chuala sé gurbh fhear mé / Chuala sé nárbh fhear mé

Gurb/nárb before é/í etc Dúirt sé gurb é seo / gurb eisean an dalta is fearr

• Advertisement

For example,

Is maith - Like
    Is fuath - Hate

For example,

Tá _____ agam - I have

Samplaí den chopail

Ba dhalta mé / Níor dhalta mé / Chuala sé gur dhalta mé / Chuala sé nár dhalta mé

Is ailtire mé / Ní ailtire mé / Chuala sé gur ailtire/fear mé / Chuala sé nach ailtire/fear mé
    B'ailtire mé / Níorbh ailtire mé / Chuala sé gurbh fhear mé / Chuala sé nárbh fhear mé

@sryanbruen

Apologies, I misread your initial post so I removed the sentence re "tá_agam" not being a copula. I can't edit yet.

The second isn't a copula so forget about that for the moment.

Samplaí den chopail

I said the following VERB. I didn't say that was a copula.

What are the verbs To know and To want in Irish?

What are the verbs To know and To want in Irish?

Want: Tá _______ uaim = Tá _______ ag teastáil uaim = Teastaíonn ____ uaim
    Want: Táim ag iarraidh ... (lit: I am wanting)

Know something: Tá a fhios agam ______ / Tá _____ ar eolas agam / Tá cur amach agam ar _____
    Know someone: Tá aithne agam ar ____

Want: Tá _______ uaim = Tá _______ ag teastáil uaim = Teastaíonn ____ uaim
    Want: Táim ag iarraidh ... (lit: I am wanting)

Know something: Tá a fhios agam ______ / Tá _____ ar eolas agam / Tá cur amach agam ar _____
    Know someone: Tá aithne agam ar ____

Thank you very much

"That"

When "That"=object

That being said,.....
    É sin ráite,....

I am buying that one

I learn that...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

A small one:Nì cuimhin liom - I can't remember

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I always thought 'Táim in ann (rud éigin) a dhéanamh' sounded much better than 'Táim ábalta (rud éigin) a dhéanamh'.

I always thought 'Táim in ann (rud éigin) a dhéanamh' sounded much better than 'Táim ábalta (rud éigin) a dhéanamh'.

I despise that phrase :P (Gaeilgeoir snobbery, I know)

• Advertisement

I despise that phrase :P (Gaeilgeoir snobbery, I know)

'Héileacaptar Irish' our teacher called it, she preferred gluasteáin to carr too. You could see her grimace when we'd be listening to the tapes and one of those makey-uppy words would come on.
    She had a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

'Héileacaptar Irish' our teacher called it, she preferred gluasteáin to carr too. You could see her grimace when we'd be listening to the tapes and one of those makey-uppy words would come on.
    She had a point.

Zú and joc, zú has been around so idk if that is part of that, my teacher hates it when we say joc instead of bob a bualadh

Oh dear god, I can just imagine her face with Zú. Gairdín na hAinmhithe so much nicer all round. Ooh fadas are hard on a phone....

Advertisement