Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin International Film Festival 2016

• 20-09-2015 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I'm a college student who's mad into film. DIFF is on in the Spring and I'm wondering if anyone has any previous experiences they want to share?
    I'm talking about the line-up of screenings and if they've been similar to other festivals like TIFF.

I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I drop 200 on a season ticket, particularly interested in Charlie Kaufman and Gaspar Noe's latest films which are doing the rounds at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem with DIFF (have to get used to dropping the 'J') is that it's at the ass-end of the festival season. TIFF - and even London, which has a pretty exceptional line-up this year - and the like benefit from a seasonal placement where there's lots of new films still a few months away from the distribution. By the time DIFF roles around in February, most of the major auteur films have either gone on release already or are very close to release (not unheard of for belated release films to go on general release the same week as DIFF in Ireland - Princess Kaguya this year, for example). In fact, there's almost a lag of entire year when it comes to DIFF, given its proximity to the likes of Sundance or Berlin. The festival can suffer from a lack of really big draws compared to other fests, and those ones there are are typically much closer to their actual final release window. This differs from year to year, and there are always some pleasantly advanced previews, but yeah DIFF isn't exactly known for its prestigious premieres.

That said, for me the benefit of a season ticket is that you can take risks. It's weird logic, but the fewer big names there are, the better festival you're likely to have - the more offbeat choices you're willing to make, and you're potentially in for some pleasant surprises along the way. Gaspar Noe and Charlie Kaufman films will get released one way or the other, but the best thing about festivals is ultimately the opportunity to see some of the films you won't otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OP, both of the films you mentioned will probably be out before DIFF. Artificial Eye is releasing Love on Blu-ray in November. They’ve also just acquired Kaufman’s film which is getting Oscar buzz.

DIFF consists of: films in distribution limbo, overpriced previews for upcoming (as in later that month) independent releases, whatever Irish films are knocking about, classic screenings of films staring or directed by that year’s special guest, and finally whatever piece of crap the studios decide to force on everyone at the surprise screening. Basically it’s all about the lucky dip that is the distrib limbo films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 UnrealCraic

Ah I didn't realize there was so much up to chance, a little underwhelming to say the least. Thanks for the info on those films, I know Anomalisa was picked up by Paramount but I didn't know Love was coming so soon on Blu Ray. I think I'll hold out on getting a ticket

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s still a lot of fun and I’d definitely recommend it. I just wouldn’t get my hopes up for any particular film or films being at the festival as you may end up disappointed. As Johnny Ultimate said, it’s all about the films you wouldn’t have seen otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 UnrealCraic

That's a good way of thinking about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I get a season ticket every year and always get good value out of it. I think there’s a good mix of films doing the festival circuit, previews of new films and films that are getting a once off cinema showing in Ireland. Maybe if you’re really clued in and studying what films are shown at festivals throughout the year you might be disappointed to see such a familiar line up. For me though it’s a pleasant surprise to see these films that I don’t know anything about.

They also get a good few guests over to speak at their movies. I’ve seen lots of interesting q&a’s after screenings at the festival. It adds to the occasion and even if a movie is getting a release a few weeks after the festival, it’s always better to see it with a director/actor/producer present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

Ah I didn't realize there was so much up to chance, a little underwhelming to say the least. Thanks for the info on those films, I know Anomalisa was picked up by Paramount but I didn't know Love was coming so soon on Blu Ray. I think I'll hold out on getting a ticket

'Love' is getting a cinema release in November, the Blu-ray isn't out until next year. 'Anomalisa' will be distributed in the UK and Ireland by Curzon.

Advertisement