Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy related Occ Health appointment

Options
  • 20-09-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all

I'm 11 weeks pregnant. In the early stages I felt fine, from week 7 though fatigue set in, now I am asleep by 8pm every evening. I went to my GP with heart palpitations and shortness of breath and was diagnosed as iron-deficient.

Recently my employer has changed my work shifts and some weeks I'm expected to work late in the evening. At this stage in my pregnancy these shifts would be physically impossible. My nausea is never there in the morning but grows worse over the course of the day so the evenings are insufferable for me. My GP advised against working late and gave me a letter to give to my employer.

I gave this to my manager who was not happy at all. They said I'd be sent for an Occ Health appointment.

I've never had such an appointment and am concerned this doctor will find in favour of my employer. This is my first pregnancy. I had a bleed at 7 weeks which frightened me hugely so I want to follow my doctors advice and listen to my body and sleep when I need to sleep.

Can anyone impart any advice? Should I have cause for concern? Or is this simply part of the paperwork they need to complete.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It is part of the paperwork. The occupational health person will ensure you are fit to work, and comment on any adjustments they recommend to adjust your work to accommodate your health. It is a positive sign that that is your manager's first action.

I've ordered two of these for staff over last year or two, and the point of them is to give the employer and employee (who aren't medical professionals) guidance on what to do.

Plenty of skivers out there, and plenty of brutal employers who don't care about you employee welfare. The occupational health professional is there to cut through this and actually consider your health.

If after you get the report you don't like the findings you can ask your employer what your options are. But know that now you are taking the correct next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 taylorsterling

Thanks for your reply.

I think I took it up that they thought I was malingering, which annoyed me because in over 3 years I've had one sick day.

I do feel that if the doctor finds in my employers favour, I'll find working here really distasteful after giving such good service to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I do feel that if the doctor finds in my employers favour, I'll find working here really distasteful after giving such good service to them.

Unlikely to happen.

Make sure Occ Health doc sees the letter from your GP. Doctors don't like disagreeing with other doctors.

good advice, thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Normal procedure. They are not going to take any chances with a pregnant employee.

• Advertisement

Things have taken a turn now.. I was told HR have found a loophole in my doctors letter. They now state they do not have to accommodate me.

That I need to fulfill the tasks assigned to me without question or complaint.
    Needless to say I'm really annoyed. So much so I nearly want o contact my solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Solicitor time, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Things have taken a turn now.. I was told HR have found a loophole in my doctors letter. They now state they do not have to accommodate me.

Is it a genuine loophole/exception that it would be possible to ask your doctor to write another letter amending? If so, I'd do that first. Sometimes people are playing silly buggers and others they're genuinely incomprehending. If it's the latter then solving the comprehension issue would be a better option than going legal (with the legal route remaining open to you).

Advertisement