Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Remote Place to Visit in Ireland?

Options
  • 20-09-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

So, I moved from Ireland to Canada back in 2010. Back then I weighed over 300lbs. I've since turned my life around and become addicted to the outdoors and wilderness of Canada.

You can see some of my photography from my adventures here:
    https://instagram.com/pebbleshoo/

I'm going to be visiting Ireland in October and I really want to highlight some of the wild places Ireland has to offer.

A few questions, does anyone police remote camping? I mean if I was to hike up a peak in Ireland and camp would there be any trouble?

I practice "leave no trace" ethics and travel ultralight so I wouldn't be damaging the environment.

I also mountain run with my camera so I'm not too concerned with distances. If you know of a remote location that's 50km's down a trail then let me know about it.

I'm really looking for some of the most remote and scenic locations in Ireland that typify the landscape. I never visited any of it growing up (stayed inside playing video games mostly) so I'd like to see as much of it as I can during my short visit.

Let me know the places that define Remote, Rugged and Wild Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

L31mr0d wrote: »
    A few questions, does anyone police remote camping? I mean if I was to hike up a peak in Ireland and camp would there be any trouble?

The short answer to the above is that I think probably not.

Coillte manage the State forests, and coillte employees can be seen from time to time but I don't think that they really patrol for the likes of a leave-no-trace wild camper who is out to blend in and move on quickly.

As regards the National Parks, camping isn't allowed in most of them and there are rangers but I have to say that I've never met one when I was out and about.

As regards rugged landscapes, others will tell you what they think but I suppose that you could start off with the McGillycuddy Reeks in Kerry, The Burren in County Clare and Connemara in County Galway (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/wildnephinwildernessarea.html

http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/visit.html

This is supposed to be the most remote place in Ireland. It is owned by Coillte and the National Parks & Wildlife Service so with regards camping, I am not sure. I will hopefully be checking it out in the winter so would be nice if you recon it for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

So, I moved from Ireland to Canada back in 2010. Back then I weighed over 300lbs. I've since turned my life around and become addicted to the outdoors and wilderness of Canada.

You can see some of my photography from my adventures here:
    https://instagram.com/pebbleshoo/

I'm going to be visiting Ireland in October and I really want to highlight some of the wild places Ireland has to offer.

I practice "leave no trace" ethics and travel ultralight so I wouldn't be damaging the environment.

I also mountain run with my camera so I'm not too concerned with distances. If you know of a remote location that's 50km's down a trail then let me know about it.

I'm really looking for some of the most remote and scenic locations in Ireland that typify the landscape. I never visited any of it growing up (stayed inside playing video games mostly) so I'd like to see as much of it as I can during my short visit.

Let me know the places that define Remote, Rugged and Wild Ireland.

Your pictures are AMAZING!!!!!! Not sure how much I can help, clew bay islands? McGillicuddy reeks do often have people wild camp here bit the land is owned by local farmers, but I can intro you to one if you end up coming this way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Your pictures are AMAZING!!!!!! Not sure how much I can help, clew bay islands? McGillicuddy reeks do often have people wild camp here bit the land is owned by local farmers, but I can intro you to one if you end up coming this way

That's great to know. I'm looking to meet up with locals also as they tend to know the best sweet spots for scenery. How can I reach you when I am in Ireland?

and thank you for the compliment! I often say that the natural world does the work and I just close the shutter. I never ventured outside of cities in Ireland growing up so I really want to see what I was missing out on.

I've added Clew Bay Islands to the list of places to research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The Mayo section of the Western Way is pretty isolated. Take a diversion from Bangor Erris along the Bangor Way as mentioned above to Newport and you've got it.

http://www.irishtrails.ie/Trail/Western-Way---Mayo/38/
    https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bangor%20way

The Galway section is good as well, plenty of isolated walks through Connemara as well.

Plenty of good trails here as well: http://www.irishtrails.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

FrostyJack wrote: »
    ballycroynationalpark... I will hopefully be checking it out in the winter so would be nice if you recon it for me :)

Looks interesting. Thank you! Going to research this location for some areas to visit.

Do you know of any comprehensive guide books in Ireland that cover all of the County Tops and multi-day hiking routes? I'd like to visit as many of the high places in Ireland as possible. Information on the islands surrounding Ireland would be beneficial also.
    As regards rugged landscapes, others will tell you what they think but I suppose that you could start off with the McGillycuddy Reeks in Kerry, The Burren in County Clare and Connemara in County Galway.

Thanks for that info, I'll do some research into those areas. McGillycuddy was definitely on the list.

I've nothing to add, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your photos. Amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Your pictures are great. Best of luck with your trip. I have camped and fished on some beaches around the coasts. It's not that isolated but can be relaxing if you would be into that sort of thing. The wicklow mountains would be worth a trip also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

The Nephin Beg range of hills in Mayo should be on your list - you sure won't meet too many people up there and it can get pretty wild. Corrshliabh (or Slieve Carr) is usually said to be the hill furthest from habitation in Ireland and in the northern part of this range. It certainly feels fairly remote when you're up there. See our new map 'Wild Nephin' at www.eastwestmapping.ie

I walked/ camped the north Mayo coast from Killala westwards once, big cliffs and sea stacks etc. Again you're unlikely to meet a soul. Downside of course of these places is that not much in the way of services but I presume that's what you want! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

blasket islands.

• Advertisement

The Dunkerrons are pretty remote, particularly the "back" of the Cloon Horseshoe. No tarred road through them from one end to the other.

The area west of Barley Lake in the Cahas is nice and quiet.

Dursey Island is accessible via a cable car...but the far end of the island is very quiet, could be at the end of the world!

The northern section of the Sheeps Head trail has a nice remote feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

Seeing as you enjoy climbing, Id suggest Howling Ridge for an assent of Corrán Tuathail, There are some sea stack aroud the coast of Donegal that can be climbed remember reading about a few of them before cant remember exact details. Few routes up the back wall of Coumshingaun that youd be unlikely to meet other people on.
    As was suggested above the Nephin Beg mountains are pretty remote. Enjoy planning your trip, looking forward to seeing the photo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Connemara and north Mayo are very remote, you would be miles from roads let alone houses in the middle of them

There is a lot of wild land around the Sally gap, behind Luggala towards the military road; the other side of road towards Mullaghcleevaun especially Cleevaun lough

Up behind Turlough hill towards lough Firib and 3 lakes and the very top of Glenmalure are also remote

Some of the bogs in the midlands are very large and remote
    If you were to cross a BnaM bog when it's not being harvested you would be 10km from someone in a blank featureless plain

Lastly Tiaracht island in the blankets is a hard rock climb to get onto from a bobbing boat out in the Atlantic
    The skelligs also
    And depending on your politics Rockall...;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Not mountains as such but some of the sand beaches along the Louth Coast are worth a look. Rugged they aren't but they go for miles and miles and you'll do well to see anybody for hours or even days on end at the right time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The Dunkerrons are pretty remote, particularly the "back" of the Cloon Horseshoe. No tarred road through them from one end to the other.

The northern section of the Sheeps Head trail has a nice remote feel.

Chirsty Moore pulled over to offer me a lift as I was heading off the road onto the hills about 8 years ago or so when I was doing it. Not remote enough if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Cool photos, i remember your name from gaming forums years back.
    seem to be a far cry from 300lbs now, fair play :)

Was also in a similar situation, fat with a muscle mass of an infant playing WoW all day, couldn't even do 1 pushup:pac:
    started loving outdoors, hiking and eating right, now lean as fox and could hike for hours without getting tired.

As for the topic, remote area would be from camaderry and heading towards turlough hill and onto lugnaquilla, would be a long hike with little or no trail on rough terrain but only life you'll see would be deer from turlough hill on wards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The mamturks, the mountains on the right of the main leenane to westport road just after leenane, the mountains on the opposite side of the road from mwelrea on the old leenane to louisburgh road, ballycroy as mentioned above is supposed to be the most remote part of ireland.

Slieve league cliffs? Mount Brandon along the Coast as well?

In terms of two day walks ireland isn't great for that, you have to make them up yourself I think. Ballycroy, mamturks challenge walk and a traverse of the twelve pins would be good candidates. There's a ridge walk in kerry that takes in Carantoohill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Mountain views is a very good website for such stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You could stick a pin anywhere along the West coast and find someplace to get a good photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭tphase

Information on the islands surrounding Ireland would be beneficial also.
    Dave Walsh has written a guide to Irish islands which you may find useful
    http://www.oileain.org/

• Advertisement
Advertisement