Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a chance of studying Chemistry for Leaving Cert outside of school?

• 20-09-2015 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Basically I'm unable to do Chemistry at my school as it is not taught there but I need it if I want to study medicine at UCC for less points that I would need for UCD with just Biology alone(I do already take Biology in school) . I'm just wondering could I study Chemistry at home now (In 5th year at the moment) then take it for the Leaving Cert and still achieve a higher level C3 in it? All replies appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

It's definitely doable... Depends on yourself really.. I just completed leaving certain Chen as an external mature student.. Took it up at Christmas... Got a few grinds from a lc teacher and got a c2 in the exam.., I also work full time and moved house in between it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

What about the practicals? Are you going to fake your lab reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KayStudent123

leesadin wrote: »
    It's definitely doable... Depends on yourself really.. I just completed leaving certain Chen as an external mature student.. Took it up at Christmas... Got a few grinds from a lc teacher and got a c2 in the exam.., I also work full time and moved house in between it..

How did you do your lab reports? Really curious as I have no idea how to go about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maynooth run a week in January where people can go and get signed off on the practicals.
    Here's an old page about it, you should contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benzenering

I just did the leaving cert last year, chemistry was my favourite subject. I'd say if you're truly passionate about chemistry you can do it. The experiments are vital for the exam, there's no lab copy to submit at the end like jc science, but a huge chunk of the questions are experiment oriented. A lot of the experiments are online in video form which is good, it's better to watch them being done. Another important element is the sums and calculations which need to be practiced a lot to do well. I'd say go for it, but perhaps you should get a grind.

But here's something which may put you off slightly; When I was in 5th year I was out of school a lot and missed a few chemistry classes. One day my teacher pulled me aside and gave out to me (she also taught me bio) that it's acceptable for me to miss bio class because it can be rope learned, but chem on the other hand has to be taught to you. It's not rope learned out of the book like biology and many other lc subjects. There's a different type of understanding then other lc subjects which you can just learn lists and lists off.

Another, more encouraging aspect is that the exam is really predictable and that the same exam q's come up over and over again, so if your exam papers are thoroughly creased there's a good chance you'll be fine as the same questions are very often repeated.

In conclusion. I would encourage you to do this subject if you really must for college and work very hard at it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

If you need it for your course, then you have to do it.
    I'm a Chemistry teacher. If you get a decent teacher then its doable. Its definitely not something you can sit down and learn from a book. You need to be taught it by a good teacher.
    As someone above said there are practical days in a few different places up and down the country. Although the practicals aren't worth anything they are really worth doing! They really help you understand the theory.
    Best of luck with it, feel free to PM me if you have any queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Basically I'm unable to do Chemistry at my school as it is not taught there but I need it if I want to study medicine at UCC for less points that I would need for UCD with just Biology alone(I do already take Biology in school) . I'm just wondering could I study Chemistry at home now (In 5th year at the moment) then take it for the Leaving Cert and still achieve a higher level C3 in it? All replies appreciated.

Honestly if you really want medicine the grade you should be aiming for is an A1. If you have the aptitude for medicine it'd be one of your easier A1s. Do it, the only issue is the practicals - you could contact another school (a grind school might be the best plan) or Maynooth apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭leesadin

sorry I was away for a while there and didn't get on boards.. As said above there is no lab book to be submitted. That was my main concern when I was beginning. I watched all the experiments online and that alone helped loads with understanding. Although if it is possible the practical course would be better. Unfortunately with working full time it wasn't an option for me. But id definitely recommend you find a very good teacher to give you some grinds and I'm sure you'll do great.

Advertisement