Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to shooting

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »
    It still does not explain how you are supposed to legally dispose of them.

Without either primer or propellant they are simply bits of brass.

tac
    Of course my post did not address that because i was not answering that. However if you want an answer as to how to dispose of your brass then imo you have a couple of options.

Legal ones:
    • Go to a range and dispose of it there.
    • Find out if a scrap yard is authorised to accept spent casings (rarer than hen's teeth i'd imagine)

Illegal or improper ones:
    • Dump them in a ditch
    • Throw them into your bin for weekly collection
    • Leave them where they fall (in the field)
    Luckysasha wrote: »
    I seem to have opened a can of worms here !!!!!!!
    Don't sweat it. It comes up occasionally.
    Just how strict is this law.
    Depends really. I've heard of it being enforced in some case (you could count them on one hand type of thing), but ask yourself this. Do you want the hassle of being another one of those cases?
    Has anyone ever been prosecuted for having 100 spent rounds in a bucket in the corner of the shed while they had 200 unused rounds in the safe.
    One person i heard of has been. He lost his guns and licenses. Long story and not realy for this thread. Two other cases i know of were people with ammo displays (of various calibers) when they did not have a license for each caliber. Those were thrown out of court.
    Im not being disrespectful of the law I know it's there for a reason. I suppose it's only when newbies like me come along and ask seemingly innocent questions it get people talking.
    As said above it's been asked repeatedly over the years,. It's a valid question and one that never has an easy answer because of the way the laws in Ireland are. Like most things it's a case of there is a legal way to do it and the way most people do it because it's what they've always done and it's not enforced (if it were even enforceable to begin with).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thanks for that, Cass. Much obliged to you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Thanks Cass and to all in this group for the helpful and friendly advice. It's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Suppose if you threw a handful of empty .223 or .243 casings at someone you could hurt them or really pîss them off :)

Just on this. I dropped the license application forms in with the Garda on Thursday 17th and got my grant letter in the post Friday 25th. So I payed my €80 at the post office. I was expecting to be waiting months for this to go through. Definitely didn't think it would be wrapped up in a week or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Just on this. I dropped the license application forms in with the Garda on Thursday 17th and got my grant letter in the post Friday 25th. So I payed my €80 at the post office. I was expecting to be waiting months for this to go through. Definitely didn't think it would be wrapped up in a week or two

Mine took 2 months!

Actual license arrived in the post today. Exactly 13 days from leaving the forms in the Garda station. So I'm picking up my rifle tomorrow evening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nice one. Congrats.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement