Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creatine and Blood test

Options
  • 20-09-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

I would like to see if anyone has an input. I was out of the gym through injury and illness for 3 months, started back last Sunday and started taking creatine again after a 3 month break. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday 5 grammes. On Thursdays I had a medical (work related) Friday I got a call from the doctor asking me had I been drinking heavily the night before my medical, which I hadn't. She told me my liver enzymes were four times the normal and that I need to see my GP asap. The only thing I can think of is the creatine as I've seen other threads on bodybuilding forums with a similar issue. Is this something I should be worried about or is it a false positive as some of the threads have said? Lots of contradiction out there.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 crossfat

Which liver enzymes and in what ratio? Shouldn't be caused by pure creatine. It's mostly excreted by kidney a lot of it unchanged.

More like booze or antibiotics or viral

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

crossfat wrote: »
    Which liver enzymes and in what ratio? Shouldn't be caused by pure creatine. It's mostly excreted by kidney a lot of it unchanged.

More like booze or antibiotics or viral

Not sure which enzymes yet, she posted results to me so I should receive them tomorrow. I'll have to take them to my GP then. I'm hoping it's not the creatine, the illness I spoke about keeping me out of the gym was Bronchitis. I had it about 3 weeks ago and did a full week/10 days of antibiotics to treat it. Hope it's something as simple as that not quite having left my system yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

dines08 wrote: »
    Not sure which enzymes yet, she posted results to me so I should receive them tomorrow. I'll have to take them to my GP then. I'm hoping it's not the creatine, the illness I spoke about keeping me out of the gym was Bronchitis. I had it about 3 weeks ago and did a full week/10 days of antibiotics to treat it. Hope it's something as simple as that not quite having left my system yet.

Keep us updated if you don't mind

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Keep us updated if you don't mind

AST 385
    ALT 134

Appointment with my GP for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

I would like to see if anyone has an input. I was out of the gym through injury and illness for 3 months, started back last Sunday and started taking creatine again after a 3 month break. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday 5 grammes. On Thursdays I had a medical (work related) Friday I got a call from the doctor asking me had I been drinking heavily the night before my medical, which I hadn't. She told me my liver enzymes were four times the normal and that I need to see my GP asap. The only thing I can think of is the creatine as I've seen other threads on bodybuilding forums with a similar issue. Is this something I should be worried about or is it a false positive as some of the threads have said? Lots of contradiction out there.

If you are relatively untrained, when you start back training again some liver enzymes can be unusually high for the first few weeks after you go back.

AST and ALT being two of them.

Even you aren't untrained these can be high after training, they just return to normal a bit sooner.

AFAIK creatine has not been shown to increase liver enzymes.

• Advertisement

cc87 wrote: »
    If you are relatively untrained, when you start back training again some liver enzymes can be unusually high for the first few weeks after you go back.

AST and ALT being two of them.

Even you aren't untrained these can be high after training, they just return to normal a bit sooner.

AFAIK creatine has not been shown to increase liver enzymes.

That goes along with some of the information I've read online. I'm hoping that's the case, it was just a case of bad timing with regards to the blood test. Thanks for the information. I will see what the GP thinks, ideally I'll keep taking the creatine and see say in a months time if the bloods return to normal. If not I'll cut out the creatine and get retested. A process of elimination of sorts. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That goes along with some of the information I've read online. I'm hoping that's the case, it was just a case of bad timing with regards to the blood test. Thanks for the information. I will see what the GP thinks, ideally I'll keep taking the creatine and see say in a months time if the bloods return to normal. If not I'll cut out the creatine and get retested. A process of elimination of sorts. Thanks again
    When I started back doing weights I did a hard session a few days before a blood test. My CT levels were through the roof. My doctor rang me an hour after the test and asked if I'd recently had a heart attack.!!
    So I'd be interested to see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My ALT and AST levels were high after a blood test. It was just at the end of a very hard training camp, and a bit of a rib injury.

My attitude with blood tests are that a single test isn't worth as much until you have a second test to compare with.

Advertisement