Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB determination order

Options
  • 20-09-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,
    Any advice appreciated. I have a PRTB determination order for vacation of property within 49 days which is up this week. However their is no sign that tenant will move so I may need to go to court to get eviction. Whats the procedure and how much might it cost? I am owed just over 1K, should I go to the small claims court for this?

Anyone who has gone thru this process.....would really appreciate pointers.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Paula10 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Any advice appreciated. I have a PRTB determination order for vacation of property within 49 days which is up this week. However their is no sign that tenant will move so I may need to go to court to get eviction. Whats the procedure and how much might it cost? I am owed just over 1K, should I go to the small claims court for this?

Thanks

SCC does not apply, it is not a consumer issue and your tenant is not a business. You need to get legal advice but for now send a letter to the tenant reminding them that they have to vacate the property by the assigned date and that you will be taking possession of the property. If they remain in the property, you may have to go to court to get an eviction order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Paula10 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks

There are 2 ways of doing it. It can be done one way for €750. Another way is slower and a lost more expensive. A friend of mine has gone the €750 route. She found a barrister who knows what to do and has a lot of success with PRTB cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

4ensic15 wrote: »
    There are 2 ways of doing it. It can be done one way for €750. Another way is slower and a lost more expensive. A friend of mine has gone the €750 route. She found a barrister who knows what to do and has a lot of success with PRTB cases.

Can you be more specific? Your post is very vague and not helpful to the OP without further information.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Can you be more specific? Your post is very vague and not helpful to the OP without further information.

Apparently the Circuit Court enforcement is slow and expensive. The District Court is faster and cheaper but seemingly much less used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

From the PRTB website. I would personally, call around to them in a very civil manner and politely inform them of the following. Especially the bolded part.
    PRTB.ie wrote:
    Where the terms of a Determination Order have not been complied with within the specified timeframe, a party can opt to enforce their own Determination Order through the Circuit Court under Section 124 of the Residential Tenancies Act, 2004. Alternatively, a party can apply to the PRTB to initiate enforcement proceedings against the other party. Such proceedings can involve Court proceedings against a non-compliant party, which could result in a criminal conviction being secured against them by the PRTB. All judgements are registered and thus are likely to affect the person’s credit rating, employment prospects and visas for foreign travel

• Advertisement

From the PRTB website. I would personally, call around to them in a very civil manner and politely inform them of the following. Especially the bolded part.

It appears that the O?p is inquiring about how to take the enforcement action. The PRTB is very slow about taking any enforcement action if it takes any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I think the OP should accept in ireland there are people who dont respect the law and do not care for judgments. They would be better off coming to an arrangement with the tenant even if it means paying them to leave. The law for landlords in ireland is very weak

I think the OP should accept in ireland there are people who dont respect the law and do not care for judgments. They would be better off coming to an arrangement with the tenant even if it means paying them to leave. The law for landlords in Ireland is very weak

The o/p should do nothing of the kind and certainly not without legal advice. paying tenants to leave is only going to encourage the tenant to do the same again in the next letting and also encourage others. A landlord with a determination order can do quite a lot if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

The o/p should do nothing of the kind and certainly not without legal advice. paying tenants to leave is only going to encourage the tenant to do the same again in the next letting and also encourage others. A landlord with a determination order can do quite a lot if they want.

Unfortunately the laws are week in this country. And most tenants know this . I had to bribe my tenants earlier this year to get them out . I needed to sell the property

castle2012 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the laws are week in this country. And most tenants know this . I had to bribe my tenants earlier this year to get them out . I needed to sell the property

The laws are just not being used in most cases. A lot people don't have a clue
    about about the laws.

• Advertisement

The laws are just not being used in most cases. A lot people don't have a clue
    about about the laws.

If you have a tenant who doesnt gave a ***t you talking about thé law is just that talk. In thé mean time your getting no rent paying a solicitor ... not to mention stress and sleepless nights. .... And I Forgot the mortgage payments. In the end the landlord always pays one way or another

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A landlord with a determination order can do quite a lot if they want.

I've had a determination order for 4 years now and still have nothing to show for it. Hoping to get to court this year to finally address it.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I've had a determination order for 4 years now and still have nothing to show for it. Hoping to get to court this year to finally address it.

Has rent not been paid in all that time ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They did leave on the termination date but owe me alot of money. Determination order seems useless where one party chooses to ignore the due process. I doubt strongly that I will ever see a penny but am too ignorant to let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

They did leave on the termination date but owe me alot of money. Determination order seems useless where one party chooses to ignore the due process. I doubt strongly that I will ever see a penny but am too ignorant to let it go
    There is no need to wait four years. You can have the tenant in court in a few weeks if you know where they are.

There is no need to wait four years. You can have the tenant in court in a few weeks if you know where they are.

If I could have I would have. With a zero chance of actually getting any money out of it it would be a little foolish to start incurring costs of legal professionals. If you would like to suggest a free alternative I am all ears.

If I could have I would have. With a zero chance of actually getting any money out of it it would be a little foolish to start incurring costs of legal professionals. If you would like to suggest a free alternative I am all ears.

This is so true the solicitors are leaches who will drain as much from you as they can. In alot of cases it costs more to get justice than the actual justice is worth.

Is €10 too much for you?
    http://www.irishlandlord.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2416

That link has zero details and is just a bunch of guys biting at each other. Details of what could be done and the likely outcomes would be beneficial. 1 line sound bites don't help.

Advertisement