Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV REMOTE VIEWING ON ANDROID PHONE.

Options
  • 20-09-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have CCTV system installed. I purchased a second IP address (static) from Eircom so I could view cameras away from home. Can't set up. Don't know what info needed to set up port forwarding for second IP address. Any advice or step by step instructions appreciated. 😭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ANMHI wrote: »
    I have CCTV system installed. I purchased a second IP address (static) from Eircom so I could view cameras away from home.

How much did Eircom charge you for that?
    You could've set up a free account on no-ip.com.
    I do to view my home IP camera.
    ANMHI wrote: »
    Can't set up. Don't know what info needed to set up port forwarding for second IP address. Any advice or step by step instructions appreciated.­

Do you have the make and model of the system?
    Typically CC TV systems are not internet accessible, but internet enabled camera (IP Cameras) are.

Can you see the video footage on your local network already?

Typically what you need to do is
    1) Assign a static IP address to your camera on your own broadband router
    Otherwise the internal address of your camera might change after the router reboots or the like.
    So you might set it to something like 192.168.1.50
    (Usually anything from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255 )
    You might be able to perform this step on your cameras configuration page... not sure.

2) Go to the cameras configuration page and look for a mention of port numbers. It'll probably be "80" by default.

3) On your routers configuration web page you need to find the port forwarding settings and map the incoming port to your internet port (80).
    I'd recommend against using port 80 on the INTERNET side of things, so use something like port 10080.

Now when the router gets a request on port 10080, it will redirect it to the cameras IP address of eg. 192.168.1.50 and port 80 on that machine.

So you will access the camera on the internet as
    http://<your static ip address>:10080
    But on your local network as
    http://192.168.1.50:80

The router will do the routing for you.
    That's why it's important to have a static IP address for your camera on your local router, otherwise when it reboots it might change it to 192.168.1.10 or the like, and you'll lose the connection.

Once you've got the basic internet connection working, then the likes of IP Cam Viewer will let you view webcams over the net on your phone.

regards,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ANMHI

How much did Eircom charge you for that? You could've set up a free account on no-ip.com. I do to view my home IP camera.

€50 they charged me last year. Still haven't managed to set it up. Determined to get it sorted once and for all. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Why did you purchase a second IP address? Surely one is enough.

It's easy enough to set up port forwarding. If you give the type of router and camera you have then I can help.

Advertisement