Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights by clairnwood

Options
  • 21-09-2015 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Who in the love of God decided it would be a great idea to put traffic lights that close to a roundabout.

That place is already ridiculous at school hours and now they have decided to make it worse with traffic lights.

The traffic lights arent even a few meters up from the roundabout they are directly on it just as you come off it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

And why change the junction at the end of Priest's Road and Church Road. There is very little room to turn there now.

They have also put in some parking spaces beyond the junction. Could this be part of a plan to have access to the new school from that side???

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Ah the mind boggles? It wont be long before 2 cars hit each other while turning in and out of the mess at the end of Priests Road

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Ah the mind boggles? It wont be long before 2 cars hit each other while turning in and out of the mess at the end of Priests Road

I know, it's unreal. I mean who wants to make it safer for kids to cross the road!

invalid wrote: »
    I know, it's unreal. I mean who wants to make it safer for kids to cross the road!

Kids did you say? Is there kids living in our town?

In all seriousness though, the width of the new layout is very narrow and it will lead to scrapes and dents. I know Irish people are not good when it comes to the correct use of a pedestrian crossing but would the crossings be better positioned back away a little from busy junctions?

I spoke to the council about it and it was done out of concern for the safety of pedestrians! The width of the junction was too big so they have attempted to remedy the situation!

Still too narrow IMHO!

• Advertisement

I spoke to the council about it and it was done out of concern for the safety of pedestrians! The width of the junction was too big so they have attempted to remedy the situation!

Still too narrow IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have driven along Priests road a good few times in the last couple of days and I can't see any problem with it, certainly better for pedestrians.

looksee wrote: »
    I have driven along Priests road a good few times in the last couple of days and I can't see any problem with it, certainly better for pedestrians.

I wonder is there more pedestrians than motorists on any given day? Just out of curiosity is all!

Then the next question, what are the 3 parking spaces for and also the newly created chicane, is that to calm traffic? I would be interested in the thoughts that went into the design of the project?

What would finish it off nicely though is a little bit of fresh tarmac on the approach to the junction from the Priests road side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wonder is there more pedestrians than motorists on any given day? Just out of curiosity is all!

Then the next question, what are the 3 parking spaces for and also the newly created chicane, is that to calm traffic? I would be interested in the thoughts that went into the design of the project?

What would finish it off nicely though is a little bit of fresh tarmac on the approach to the junction from the Priests road side.

Yes, have to agree the chicane and the parking spaces (?!) are a bit odd. Tho I notice the chicane has given one resident a nice protected parking space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Those traffic lights right on the roundabout are an absolute joke, I'm out that way and all they've done in make the traffic congestion worse. When the lights are red (every few minutes or so given the amount of kids crossing) all the traffic gets backed up the hill and out the ring road. Good luck to anyone trying to get out of Clarinwood as when the lights do go green, the other two roads have right of way so you might as well bring a flask and sandwiches with you waiting for all that to clear!

• Advertisement

Since the introduction of these lights the traffic is backed up every route to the secondary school in the morning and evenings.

Firstly, lets all agree that people need to cross the road safely, that is not in question here. In other countries with forward thinking they use pedestrian walkovers or footbridges so as not to stop the flow of traffic.

Due to the delay's these lights are causing a lot of people heading for the school in the mornings are choosing to go through the middle of the town and cut up by the church. This has now had a negative effect on traffic on all roads leading to the main cross outside O'Neill's bar and also traffic backed over Priests Road as well.

I don't have the solution, the question was asked at the very first information night regarding the new school in the Holy Cross almost 2 years ago about the traffic management and only one road in and out of the school. With the school principal only waiting at the school door in the morning to dish out the points to kids who are late through no fault of their own, its a problem that only the authorities can solve with a bit of collective thinking. Perhaps they could join up the dots. Perhaps another field or two could be purchased from the farmer under compulsory purchase order and put a walkway and a one way exit road from the school onto Priests Road might ease congestion??

Only a suggestion!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I don't have the solution, the question was asked at the very first information night regarding the new school in the Holy Cross almost 2 years ago about the traffic management and only one road in and out of the school. With the school principal only waiting at the school door in the morning to dish out the points to kids who are late through no fault of their own, its a problem that only the authorities can solve with a bit of collective thinking.

I think you might have the wrong school mentioned in your post, did you mean to say the Ardscoil, not the Holy Cross School? The Ardscoil is the secondary school down by Tesco, Lidl etc :)

Fishy1 wrote: »
    I think you might have the wrong school mentioned in your post, did you mean to say the Ardscoil, not the Holy Cross School? The Ardscoil is the secondary school down by Tesco, Lidl etc :)

If you re read my post, it should read that the original information night introducing the Ard Scoil was held in the Holy Cross school almost 2 years ago.

"I don't have the solution, the question was asked at the very first information night regarding the new school in the Holy Cross almost 2 years ago"

Thank you also for pointing out where the Ard Scoil is, that has contributed to the debate no end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Last few wet mornings have been an absolute joke! Took me longer to get out of Clarinwood than it took me to drive to Ardkeen yesterday morning.

Advertisement