Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative routes to teaching secondary school English?

Options
  • 21-09-2015 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is the the right forum to post this query in.

I am currently teaching English at a middle school in South Korea. I've been here for over a year and a half and I really like the job even though it can be very though at times. But my school doesn't have funding to keep me on after February so I need plan. I've just turned 27 and I don't really have any career direction so I want to figure it out.

I have a HND in Journalism, BA in Media Production Management and MSc in Equality Studies. Even though I love writing, I don't want to be a journalist. And my MSc would lead more to work in NGOs and the like, which I suspect would be difficult to find.

I started to think about maybe teaching secondary school English. I do really enjoy working with this age group and I'd have time off to travel and write. I'm involved in writing groups and ultimately I'd love to be a fiction writer but that feels like a but of a pipe dream.

However I've heard it's very hard to get jobs in that field these days. I'm also not sure how long I'd have to go back and study for.

I've heard of people working here in Korea and doing their masters in education by distance. But I doubt that would qualify me to teach in Ireland.

Also I was looking at studying in Germany since I lived there before and really liked it. I know there are some English masters courses, would they be recognised in Ireland? And would I then have to do a Hdip on top of that?

Right now I'm kind of regretting the college path I took, and the thought of going back to spend several years and lots of money isn't very pleasant. Especially since I've gotten so used to living on my own and earning enough money to travel, save money and enjoy a good lifestyle here.

I'm not even sure I want to teach secondary school English but I think it's worth seeing if there's a relatively painless way to go about it.

If there's anyone on here who's come to this career through a less traditional route, I would really appreciate your advice.

Also, I've heard that it's ridiculously hard to get a teaching job these days - does anyone know if/when that's likely to improve?

And one last thing, I'd love to hear a bit more about what the job itself entails, from a teacher. What kind of teaching hours can I expect, what duties do you have and so on?

Any advice/help would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Postgraduates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Clareh123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I hope this is the the right forum to post this query in.

I am currently teaching English at a middle school in South Korea. I've been here for over a year and a half and I really like the job even though it can be very though at times. But my school doesn't have funding to keep me on after February so I need plan. I've just turned 27 and I don't really have any career direction so I want to figure it out.

I have a HND in Journalism, BA in Media Production Management and MSc in Equality Studies. Even though I love writing, I don't want to be a journalist. And my MSc would lead more to work in NGOs and the like, which I suspect would be difficult to find.

I started to think about maybe teaching secondary school English. I do really enjoy working with this age group and I'd have time off to travel and write. I'm involved in writing groups and ultimately I'd love to be a fiction writer but that feels like a but of a pipe dream.

However I've heard it's very hard to get jobs in that field these days. I'm also not sure how long I'd have to go back and study for.

I've heard of people working here in Korea and doing their masters in education by distance. But I doubt that would qualify me to teach in Ireland.

Also I was looking at studying in Germany since I lived there before and really liked it. I know there are some English masters courses, would they be recognised in Ireland? And would I then have to do a Hdip on top of that?

Right now I'm kind of regretting the college path I took, and the thought of going back to spend several years and lots of money isn't very pleasant. Especially since I've gotten so used to living on my own and earning enough money to travel, save money and enjoy a good lifestyle here.

I'm not even sure I want to teach secondary school English but I think it's worth seeing if there's a relatively painless way to go about it.

If there's anyone on here who's come to this career through a less traditional route, I would really appreciate your advice.

Also, I've heard that it's ridiculously hard to get a teaching job these days - does anyone know if/when that's likely to improve?

And one last thing, I'd love to hear a bit more about what the job itself entails, from a teacher. What kind of teaching hours can I expect, what duties do you have and so on?

Any advice/help would be very much appreciated!

Have you thought about looking at the Further Education sector? I've been teaching in it for twenty years, and I love it. Your subjects would fit well with many PLC courses, such as Journalism or Social Studies, and you would have a receptive audience of students who had chosen to do that subject. Yet it's not third level, with the pressure that comes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes you would have to do the dip. It's called the PME these days and in Ireland takes 2 years and will cost you approximately 10-12k.

In terms of English, if you did a course in Germany you would have to get it assessed by the Teaching Council to see if you were eligible to teach English. I'd imagine that your English credits would have to involve some form literature component.

The requirements for English will be listed in this booklet. Oscail.ie offer English modules on a distance learning basis. However I'd estimate conservatively to qualify as an English teacher that you are looking at 1-2 years of English modules to meet requirements and 2 years dip, at a minimum of 15k in total.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/Subject%20Criteria%20documents/Curricular%20Subject%20Requirments%20after%20January%202017_.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

And there is an oversupply of English teachers in Iteland. Particularly if you are only going to have the one subject

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

katydid wrote: »
    Have you thought about looking at the Further Education sector? I've been teaching in it for twenty years, and I love it. Your subjects would fit well with many PLC courses, such as Journalism or Social Studies, and you would have a receptive audience of students who had chosen to do that subject. Yet it's not third level, with the pressure that comes with that.

I hadn't thought of that at all. It seems like a good option, especially considering what people have said here about the money and time involved in training to teach secondary school English,and how scarce the jobs are.

The further education sector definitely appeals to me, I actually studied in a CFE and really loved it. But is it enough to just have studied those fields, would I not need to have experience working in them too?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I hadn't thought of that at all. It seems like a good option, especially considering what people have said here about the money and time involved in training to teach secondary school English,and how scarce the jobs are.

The further education sector definitely appeals to me, I actually studied in a CFE and really loved it. But is it enough to just have studied those fields, would I not need to have experience working in them too?

The thing is to get your foot in the door, subbing, or taking a few classes a week to fill a gap in the timetable. In theory, the hiring and firing is done by the ETBs, but if you could investigate colleges with courses where you could have something to offer, you could speak directly to the principal or whoever is responsible for looking for subs, and offer your services. With the background you have, you'd be ideal for journalism or social studies courses, and would be amply qualified to teach Communications too. Almost all courses do Communications, so they often need a teacher to fill in for absences.

Once you're in the door, and if they like you, you should get longer gigs, and, if you can hold on for a few years, get a CID. A CID can be for the full 22 hours or less, but at least it's some kind of security. If you can afford to work part time, it would give you time to do some journalism, or something else to top up your salary.

I taught in secondary schools for ten years, and I've been in FE for twenty. I would never go back to second level - the thoughts of the discipline issues and the uniforms and all that.... In FE, it's a much more equal relationship, and you can be on great terms with the students. But then you know that from the other side, having been a student yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

katydid wrote: »
    The thing is to get your foot in the door, subbing, or taking a few classes a week to fill a gap in the timetable. In theory, the hiring and firing is done by the ETBs, but if you could investigate colleges with courses where you could have something to offer, you could speak directly to the principal or whoever is responsible for looking for subs, and offer your services. With the background you have, you'd be ideal for journalism or social studies courses, and would be amply qualified to teach Communications too. Almost all courses do Communications, so they often need a teacher to fill in for absences.

Once you're in the door, and if they like you, you should get longer gigs, and, if you can hold on for a few years, get a CID. A CID can be for the full 22 hours or less, but at least it's some kind of security. If you can afford to work part time, it would give you time to do some journalism, or something else to top up your salary.

I taught in secondary schools for ten years, and I've been in FE for twenty. I would never go back to second level - the thoughts of the discipline issues and the uniforms and all that.... In FE, it's a much more equal relationship, and you can be on great terms with the students. But then you know that from the other side, having been a student yourself!

Thanks so much for the advice! It sounds like a really good option for me. I like teaching teenagers in a lot of ways but the behaviour management is a constant battle. I imagine in the long run a CFE would be a lot easier. I will definitely try and get my foot in the door!

Advertisement