Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Living in the past"

• 21-09-2015 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭

OK so I am a 30 year old Liverpool fan. Been a fan my whole life so lets say about 20+ years (loved them as a child but dont recall having a great attention span as a 2 year old :D) I have had (what I feel) a good knowledge of what is going on at the club and a good realisation of what the club is about. I have studied the club (the way many of you would have studied your clubs like United Arsenal chelsea and so on) because I enjoy the game and love the club (the way you love your clubs).

In my 20-30 years I dont think I have subscribed (at least much) to the typical phrases you would use to define "a Liverpool fan". I think a couple of years ago (THE season) was the first time I actually said the phrase "this could be our year" and I only said that after Kompany's slip allowed us to beat City and stay top. I decided to get excited about it. Sure it didnt work out but f8ck it, it was fun regardless of the outcome (City deserved it no question). I know for a fact I have never mentioned the fact "we won it 18 times" bar one time as a kid when arguing in a school yard with a Chelsea fan (I cant believe they had them back then as well :D)

So fast forward to today, I have received this "funny txt" (who sends these anymore?:D)

Santa Claus: What do you want for Christmas?
    Me: I want a dragon
    SC: C'mon be realistic
    Me: Ok I want Liverpool to win the league
    SC: What colour dragon do you want?

Now I giggled a little.................. The first time I heard it. Also the one "what is the only ship to never dock in Liverpool? The Premiership" (In fact loads of ships dont dock there but thats apparently not the answer)

So I have heard these jokes growing up also but mostly from United fans (no issue. Its banter. If they are the current Champions then full respect they earned the right to mock others :D)

But I have now heard these jokes from Villa fans, Spurs fans, Newcastle fans and Everton fans................... In fact this message came from the "girlfriend" (her account but likely to be the Arsenal fan) of an Arsenal fan..................... which made me think. Arsenal havent won the league in almost 11 years............. United havent won the league in almost 3 years and City won it 2 years ago.

So here is the question I put to you all......

How long a period should go by before talking about a title (or trophy) you won, would be seen as "living in the past"?

I would have thought saying Istanbul 2005 was a great game and I loved it was grand, but if I tried to say that in "banter mode" to slag other fans, it would be "living in the past" as it is 10 years.

But then again if I talked about a trophy 3-4 years ago I would feel the same. In fact I am a believer of the current champions of each trophy only having current bragging rights........... But thats just me.

So when is it "the past"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

You're really overthinking things. Football fans will say to other fans what they think will wind them up. It's irrational, so it'll be used in spite of the situation of a supporter's own club. When it comes to the whole history thing, it winds Liverpool fans up, so they use it. It doesn't matter that they've actually won quite a few trophies in recent times - if it annoys, it'll be used.

It's the same way you're taking the piss out of Chelsea, presumably about them only gaining fans when the money rolled in and they became a force in the English league. There's no doubt that Liverpool's success in the 80s led to a lot of children of that generation supporting them. Likewise, Man Utd and Arsenal in the 90s. Despite the same bandwagon effect occurring at their own clubs (and probably any successful club in the world), they still take the piss out of Chelsea (and more recently, Man City). Why? Because it obviously annoys them enough to get a reaction.

So, it's not about "how long a period" it must be until fans are "living in the past". It's about how much those fans get wound up by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Here's the worst kind of fans......and before Chelsea or Arsenal fans get their knickers in a twist, EVERY club has them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mr.H wrote: »
    OK so I am a 30 year old Liverpool fan. Been a fan my whole life so lets say about 20+ years (loved them as a child but dont recall having a great attention span as a 2 year old :D) I have had (what I feel) a good knowledge of what is going on at the club and a good realisation of what the club is about. I have studied the club (the way many of you would have studied your clubs like United Arsenal chelsea and so on) because I enjoy the game and love the club (the way you love your clubs).

In my 20-30 years I dont think I have subscribed (at least much) to the typical phrases you would use to define "a Liverpool fan". I think a couple of years ago (THE season) was the first time I actually said the phrase "this could be our year" and I only said that after Kompany's slip allowed us to beat City and stay top. I decided to get excited about it. Sure it didnt work out but f8ck it, it was fun regardless of the outcome (City deserved it no question). I know for a fact I have never mentioned the fact "we won it 18 times" bar one time as a kid when arguing in a school yard with a Chelsea fan (I cant believe they had them back then as well :D)

So fast forward to today, I have received this "funny txt" (who sends these anymore?:D)

Santa Claus: What do you want for Christmas?
    Me: I want a dragon
    SC: C'mon be realistic
    Me: Ok I want Liverpool to win the league
    SC: What colour dragon do you want?

Now I giggled a little.................. The first time I heard it. Also the one "what is the only ship to never dock in Liverpool? The Premiership" (In fact loads of ships dont dock there but thats apparently not the answer)

So I have heard these jokes growing up also but mostly from United fans (no issue. Its banter. If they are the current Champions then full respect they earned the right to mock others :D)

But I have now heard these jokes from Villa fans, Spurs fans, Newcastle fans and Everton fans................... In fact this message came from the "girlfriend" (her account but likely to be the Arsenal fan) of an Arsenal fan..................... which made me think. Arsenal havent won the league in almost 11 years............. United havent won the league in almost 3 years and City won it 2 years ago.

So here is the question I put to you all......

How long a period should go by before talking about a title (or trophy) you won, would be seen as "living in the past"?

I would have thought saying Istanbul 2005 was a great game and I loved it was grand, but if I tried to say that in "banter mode" to slag other fans, it would be "living in the past" as it is 10 years.

But then again if I talked about a trophy 3-4 years ago I would feel the same. In fact I am a believer of the current champions of each trophy only having current bragging rights........... But thats just me.

So when is it "the past"?

Answer to that in bold if from a United fan it has when Blackburn and King Kenny lifted it in 95 after we beat them for you, usually shuts them up. :eek::D

Advertisement