Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my laptop keeps shutting off every now and again

Options
  • 21-09-2015 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

my sony vaio keeps shutting off ineplicably either after 45 minutes or 3 hours of running normally what could be wrong with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Is it getting very warm? Is the fan making alot of noise? Possibly it is overheating and you may need to clean out the fan to help it cool better. Also avoid putting it on any surfaces like beds where it will sink down and the air won't be able to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Download HWMonitor and check temps are normal (less than 60-70).

Download MalwareBytes and CCleaner and scan and clean up the drives.

Clean out your fan. Should be manuals online on how to get at it. Usually just need a small screwdriver.

Try a surface where the fan is free if you know what i mean. I find a big difference in temps if i keep my fan totally unobstructed (Off the edge of a table or place a book underneath the side without the fan, leaving a space beneath the fan for it to breath).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT could be overheating or maybe it has a virus or malware.
    go to

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Download HWMonitor and check temps are normal (less than 60-70).

Download MalwareBytes and CCleaner and scan and clean up the drives.

Clean out your fan. Should be manuals online on how to get at it. Usually just need a small screwdriver.

Try a surface where the fan is free if you know what i mean. I find a big difference in temps if i keep my fan totally unobstructed (Off the edge of a table or place a book underneath the side without the fan, leaving a space beneath the fan for it to breath).
    Its average temp is 52 degrees celsius(is that normal)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

the thing is it happens even when i have it on a table and very rarely do i get to finish scans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

the thing is it happens even when i have it on a table and very rarely do i get to finish scans
    Look at max temps.

45min to 3 hours is a lot of time for scans...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there

I had same problem found out it was gpu,found a fix but its a temp and shud only be tryed if you know what your doing,you need to open the laptop get to gpu chip then take off the fan then insert a copper penny underneath it put it back down exaclty on gpu chip screw all bolts in and screw laptop back up it will work for bout 6 months but you will have to get new laptop.Go to youtube and type in gpu reflow penny trick you will see how to do right.
    Its a temp fix but ul need a new laptop.
    Hope i helped.

Advertisement