Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a mistake, can't sleep for weeks

Options
  • 21-09-2015 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I must say that I know it was a mistake, a dumb one. I could give you excuses but I rather not humiliate myself more than I already did.

A couple months ago I got caught up shoplifting in Penneys. Yes, it was childish and stupid. I already hate myself. They put me in a room, got my name and address. Two Garda came in, got a note from my name and address and that is it. I got no follow up, nothing. It was my first contact with anything quite like it.

What is killing me is the fact that I'm here with a Work Visa. I have to renew it next year. I also plan to apply for citizenship and one of the requirements is:

"Be of good character - the Garda Síochána (Ireland's national police) will be asked to provide a report about your background. Any criminal record or ongoing proceedings will be taken into consideration by the Minister for Justice and Equality in deciding whether or not to grant naturalisation. Details of any proceedings, criminal or civil, in the State or elsewhere, should be disclosed in the application form"

I know the stupidity that I made was minor, but does it fit in? The guilt is consuming me like no other thing ever did. I want to shout an apology to the whole world.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnnyaxe

If it has gone to my Criminal Records, would I be informed of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

johnnyaxe wrote: »
    If it has gone to my Criminal Records, would I be informed of it?

In order to have a criminal record, you have to be convicted of a crime in court.

The guards should have told you either verbally at the time or in writing as to what decisions wre made and your required input (i.e. attendence at station or in court)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

In order to have a criminal record, you have to be convicted of a crime in court.

The guards should have told you either verbally at the time or in writing as to what decisions wre made and your required input (i.e. attendence at station or in court)

Thank you so very much. The regret and fear are consuming me from my very core. I want to apologise to any and everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

For most District court offences the summons has to be raised within 6 months after the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Hi, Everyone makes mistakes, trick is try not to repeat them. Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

dbrunson wrote: »
    Hi, Everyone makes mistakes, trick is try not to repeat them. Hope it works out for you.

I thank you for that. I accept the stupidity of my act. I wish I could rewind and slap me in the face before making that stupid decision but unfortunately I can't. Hopefully it won't damage what I built so far to stay in this beautiful country. I regret that, I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tough one op. apologies but ive no advice but it seems like some here do. best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A strategy lined up:confused: Talking to a solicitor now would be a complete waste of money, what can the solicitor do in the absence of a summons? A solicitor isn't going to need time to consult the law books, shoplifting is pretty basic stuff for the District Court, a 10 minute consultation is all a solicitor needs given that it's pretty obvious the OP will plead guilty. The only thing a solicitor is going to ask the OP is material for a plea in mitigation. Penneys are past masters at catching shoplifters, I doubt if many people contest shoplifting charges when caught there.
    And get involved in community service as an example of how contrite you are.

Serious? The probation act is pretty common for a first offence if you plead guilty and have no previous convictions. Maybe bring €50 for the court poor box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Agree with previous poster. There is no point engaging a solicitor until you are served. They have 6 months to raise a summons, but can serve it after that.

You may not be prosecuted although I have heard some of the big chain stores want everyone prosecuted, no matter the value of the theft - although this may have changed given that a Judge gave out to Dunnes for using so much state money to prosecute someone for the theft of a packet of paracetomol.

Sit tight and if nothing comes from it, thank your lucky stars, don't do it again and move on

• Advertisement

I ask the Garda officer in the very end "And now what?"
    He replied with "Now, that's it. You can go".

I've been reading a lot, I read that I probably got a "warning". I don't think after 2 months they would summon me in court, but I have no basis in my guess.

I can only thank you all for the help and being so understanding. The power of guilt is impressive, I know I made a complete fool of myself for no good reason. I apologise, I really do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've been reading a lot, I read that I probably got a "warning". I don't think after 2 months they would summon me in court, but I have no basis in my guess.

I can only thank you all for the help and being so understanding. The power of guilt is impressive, I know I made a complete fool of myself for no good reason. I apologise, I really do.

They have up to six months to issue a summons you'll have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I asked the Garda officer in the very end "And now what?"

Fair enough, move on. People do stupid things - donate some money to charity or do some voluntary work to atone for the guilt, you'll be fine.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

OP

I believe the Garda didnt tell you anything because a file will be sent to the DPP if Penneys have decided to press charges.

I guess you could find this out from a Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I have a shop and we had a shoplifter get caught a couple of weeks ago I asked if they wanted cctv/statement etc but they weren't interested. We've given them footage in the past a few times but you still see these people on the streets a few days later. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't hear about it again unless Penneys really want to push it for some reason.

If anyone should be let off with it then it sounds like it really should be you as you clearly have regretted it massively and you seem highly unlikely to do it again. As suggested already maybe giving the value of what you were taking to charity might help with the guilt but no point worrying about it now though really whats done is done just move on and hope that is the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Get a solicitor.

Make no statements nor attend a Garda station without one.

Most probable action - Adult Caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

In my experience, first time offense for something like shoplifting usually results in an adult caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Surely thats 6 months??

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the enlightenment. All I can do now is wait. I will try my best not to think about it, but again, I only have myself to blame. I will follow your advice in doing charity to try to atone for my stupidity. I know it is not worthy anything, but I apologise to you all as well.

Is there a way to close this thread? Or shall we leave it up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thank you all for the enlightenment. All I can do now is wait. I will try my best not to think about it, but again, I only have myself to blame. I will follow your advice in doing charity to try to atone for my stupidity. I know it is not worthy anything, but I apologise to you all as well.

Is there a way to close this thread? Or shall we leave it up?

Pm a mod and ask them to close it if you want it closed

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Wouldn't you have to be served said summons within the 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

Everyone that is caught doing something illegal always come up with some excuse or reason why they did it.
    We've enough shoplifters etc in Ireland without you contributing to the tally. I hope that Penney's do press charges as shops lose a fortune every year through shoplifters and put prices up for the likes of me that doesn't steal from them. Why should I pay for the likes of you!
    I hope that Penney's and the Gards are processing the shoplifting episode. You wouldn't be bothering your arse if you hadn't been caught, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Jonti wrote: »
    Everyone that is caught doing something illegal always come up with some excuse or reason why they did it.
    We've enough shoplifters etc in Ireland without you contributing to the tally. I hope that Penney's do press charges as shops lose a fortune every year through shoplifters and put prices up for the likes of me that doesn't steal from them. Why should I pay for the likes of you!
    I hope that Penney's and the Gards are processing the shoplifting episode. You wouldn't be bothering your arse if you hadn't been caught, would you?

Christ how high is that horse you rode in on? The OP didn't give an excuse from reading their post. They acknowledged they did something stupid and are worried about the consequences and were looking for advice. As the others have said OP, a solicitor is probably your first call as they will be able to advise you on what you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, you didn't kill anyone? You did wrong, but it's not the end of the world.
    The guilt is consuming me like no other thing ever did. I want to shout an apology to the whole world.
    In the short term, you need a counsellor. Your doctor should be able to recommend one. If your mother tongue isn't English, it might be useful to ask a doctor with your mother tongue if they know a counsellor with your mother tongue.

If you receive a summons, a solicitor would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

its a simple offence of theft, prosecution would be initiated locally, DPP wouldnt be consulted about this. adult caution is a possibility- not sure whether you qualify as a non national though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hope this is not a plea for mercy because it may hamper residency or citizenship.

I just hope it is genuine, for reasons of being remorseful and nothing else.

I would ask OP why they shoplifted in the first place. It is not something rational people do in fairness.

I think skirting around these issues is fruitless. There is something we are not being told here IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You are entitled to be considered for an adult caution. This is likely what was supposed to have happened. You should have been contacted by the Gardaí to be formally cautioned. If you haven't been, and you provided the correct details, it's likely you are in the clear. I don't think it matters though. Garda Immigration have access to PULSE and the crime has likely been recorded on that, conviction or not. Unless the Garda didn't bother his hole doing anything about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement