Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a mistake, can't sleep for weeks

Options
2»

Comments

statto25 wrote: »
    Christ how high is that horse you rode in on? The OP didn't give an excuse from reading their post. They acknowledged they did something stupid and are worried about the consequences and were looking for advice. As the others have said OP, a solicitor is probably your first call as they will be able to advise you on what you should do.

He's dead right, though, in my opinion!

I know of a few people that would shoplift and they don't do it as a 'once off'. They're at it the whole time. I personally have never done it. No matter how much I may have wanted an item.

Let alone to be stupid enough to go to another country, apply for citizenship, and then start breaking their laws (regardless of how 'minor' they may be).

It's a gateway crime. You start with socks or a t-shirt in penneys, not long after that it's some chaps bicycle on the street, all of a sudden that neighbour you don't like apparently keeps a few Euro in the house and is back door is made of wood, etc. etc.

If you shortsighted and outright stupid enough to be breaking such trivial laws while considering citizenship then I've no sympathy. Risking getting kicked out of a country over a pair of boxer shorts or tracksuit pants? A serious bit of cop-on needed.

That said, OP, I wouldn't worry about it. I know people who do much worse than you and 'get away with it'. Unless you managed to murder 12 people in the process of your shoplifting efforts, I doubt you'll be barred from the country over it.

You will go to court, though. As far as I am lead to believe, Penneys always prosecute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

This post has been deleted.

Theft is an indictable crime. There is no six month limit for indictable crimes. A prosecution can be initiated at any time after the crime. If the items allegedly stolen are of low value there is a standing instruction to the Guards to prosecute in the District Court without involving the DPP. Penneys, having complained to the Guards have no further role in the decision to prosecute but may have a role in supplying witnesses/ CCTV. Even a minor theft may now qualify for legal aid so there is a decision to be made as to whether the State should spend the money on a prosecution. Cost of a legal aid solicitor, garda and court time over a minor theft that may result in the Probation Act or a charitable donation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement