Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

after hours and what it means to you

• 21-09-2015 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

To me, Afterhours is the joy of peoples opinions....that no one wants to hear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Having somewhere to post where I know people care. It beats twitter anyday. I get responses here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

A good place to come to as you can get informed opinions and smart arsery.
    Normally you would have to decide on one or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

(Sometimes you want to go)
    Where nobody knows your name

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's all breaking news for me, the amount of times I've read breaking news on AH is unreal.

It's also a place for fun, I'm currently waiting for The Backwards Man to post his regular "I've been on the piss" thread as it's Monday.

And it's a place of great compassion, many of you will remember the mega thread from Play to Kill where he posted on here to help keep him going while his wife struggled with and eventually died from cancer. That thread sums up boards and especially AH for me, the sheer outpouring of support and compassion was incomparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The drizzling shíts of the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

J. Marston wrote: »
    The drizzling shíts of the internet.

That's really harsh, the good far outways the bad here on AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

After Hours is not as good as it used to be. In fact it's never been as good as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

A place you can put anything up and expect anything in a reply.

I Love AH !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

After Hours is not as good as it used to be. In fact it's never been as good as it used to be.

Then be the one to make it better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Stheno wrote: »
    It's all breaking news for me, the amount of times I've read breaking news on AH is unreal.

It's also a place for fun, I'm currently waiting for The Backwards Man to post his regular "I've been on the piss" thread as it's Monday.

And it's a place of great compassion, many of you will remember the mega thread from Play to Kill where he posted on here to help keep him going while his wife struggled with and eventually died from cancer. That thread sums up boards and especially AH for me, the sheer outpouring of support and compassion was incomparable.

F**k you!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A forum where I've met some of the nicest people I know.

everlast75 wrote: »
    F**k you!

At least I try to make it better :D

;)[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

It's where I come to get my confidence crushed by the lack of Likes to my witty posts.

It's where I come to get my confidence crushed by the lack of Likes to my witty posts.

I've nearly as many thanks as I have posts, so no worries on that score :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

That's so unlike you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

A rare blip for Scorsese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Afterhours = I'll just dump this here and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Je suis After Hours !

;)

Needs more piss blasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

where i come sometimes to feel superior, sometimes inferior.
    Have some laffs and get some news and opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

It's a forum on the internet..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I remember hearing many years ago elsewhere that 4chan was where the Internet went to die, for a long time I held the opinion that AH was where Boards went to die.

Thankfully over the years many of the ism's that were rampant and part & parcel of AH have been banished along with the assclowns that spouted them. Don't get me wrong, there is still a regular influx of assclowns on Boards in general but as the site, and dare I say it's core user base has matured, most of the crap is treated with the disdain it deserves and is ignored / ridiculed in equal measure.

Over all its a decent forum, sometimes informative, sometimes laugh out loud funny, sometimes heartbreaking but never boring.

SSF and the generosity of people, and in particular the staggering generosity of a few, is everything that's good about AH, Boards and the internet in general.

So mods, cmods, admins and user alike, pat yourselves on the back, its down to you that AH is as enjoyable for most people as it is now.

Well played all.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
    Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
    and they're always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see,
    our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows
    Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
    people are all the same,
    You wanna go where everybody knows
    your name.

You wanna go where people know,
    people are all the same,
    You wanna go where everybody knows
    your name.

Apart from the fact that not everyone is happy you came in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

A place you can put anything up and expect anything in a reply.

not quite, but close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It means nothing to me. Oh, Vienna

shane9689 wrote: »
    To me, Afterhours is the joy of peoples opinions....that no one wants to hear

I quite want to hear them. With many of the other forums you get a skewed opinion set due to the people necessarily subscribed to that forum. Whereas I find After Hours to be more of a generic mix on many subjects.

For example I know when religious topics come up on After Hours many people are annoyed by this. But I quite like it because if the same topic came up on the Atheist or Christian forums you would get a heavily skewed opinion set relative to those forums. Whereas here in After Hours you get something approaching a more balanced set (though I admit even then the AH board seems skewed in the anti religious direction just not as heavily).

And running through it all is a level of irreverent humor that I think adds a lot to the subjects being discussed. A level of humor that only very few posters of low quality reduce to immature crassness - and is on the whole at am enjoyable constant standard.

Advertisement