Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bit of an off - insurance route or not?

• 21-09-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭

Had a bit of an off at the weekend, was on a run and got caught out in the rain and hit a patch of diesel, lost the front (which wasn't the best though I'm sure it was legal), it was sub 30mph and I walked away - even finished the run lol, so all good on that end.

The bike unfortunately didn't fare so well, I haven't had a chance to have a good look at it yet as the guys organising the run had it collected and stored for me until I can get it home ( you relaay have to love how the lads (and ladies) all come together when the sh1t hits).

Bike is a 95CBR900 (value about 1500ish), the right side took a good bit of rash, the crash bung came away :-( and let the fairing scrape, the exhaust looks ok but I'm sure it's marked too, footrest and back brake lever are gone, more worrying was an oil leak, this may just be a front casing, first on the list to investigate.

Now I'm wondering if I should just go about fixing the bike myself or whether it's worth going the insurance route (I'm almost sure they'll write it off) - I've max NCB and it's on step-back protection.

Opinions - don't worry, I'm not seeking legal advice etc just some common sense.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

What is your policy excess? It's most likely not worth claiming when the entire bike could be replaced for 1500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

What is your policy excess? It's most likely not worth claiming when the entire bike could be replaced for 1500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Excess is €250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

bladespin wrote: »
    hit a patch of diesel

Claim off your legal expenses cover if you have it?

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Claim off your legal expenses cover if you have it?

Not much you can do legally, there was diesel all over the road but unless you have some way of knowing for sure who dropped it there's nothing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Tricky one, Glad you okay. Unless damage is over €1000-1500 I personally would not. More hassle in long run.

Not much you can do legally, there was diesel all over the road but unless you have some way of knowing for sure who dropped it there's nothing to do.

If you have it covered on your policy you might as well try. Mate wrote off a bike and broke his leg on a test drive a few years back, rounded a bend and hit a diesel patch and lost it. Couldn't trace who dumped it there, but the legal expenses covered him for the claim as he wasn't at fault.

If you have it covered on your policy you might as well try. Mate wrote off a bike and broke his leg on a test drive a few years back, rounded a bend and hit a diesel patch and lost it. Couldn't trace who dumped it there, but the legal expenses covered him for the claim as he wasn't at fault.

Who did he claim off?

Who did he claim off?

Noone, just the legal expenses. It's an uninsured loss, so technically claimed off all of us, probably...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Get an estimate for the damage and then work out which way would be best. I dropped mine over easter when a foreign driver came around a bend on the wrong side. They carried on but left me with a €500 bill. I thought it was worse when I first saw it, but for that amount I left my insurance alone and paid it myself.

• Advertisement

Noone, just the legal expenses. It's an uninsured loss, so technically claimed off all of us, probably...

I'm afraid you've lost me on that one, I don't have any legal expenses as it stands but thanks.

Getting my baby back tonight, fingers crossed it isn't as bad as I imagined.

Advertisement