Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Football All-Stars

• 21-09-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

My Picks:

Brendan Kealy - think he will get it but i think Beggan has been best keeper
    Philly Mc'Mahon
    Johnny Cooper
    Shane Enright
    Jack Mc'Caffrey
    Lee Keegan
    Peter Harte
    Anthoney Maher
    Brian Fenton
    Ciaran Kilkenny
    Diarmuid Connolly - I wouldn't pick him but I think the panel will
    Donnacha Walsh
    Aidan O'Shea
    Bernard Brogan
    Conor Mc'Manus

Case to be made for: David Moran, Cillian & Dermot O'Connor, Mattie Donnelly, Beggan, Cathal McCarron, Paddy Andrews, Darren Mc'Curry, Michael Murphy, Sean Quigley, Frank McGlynn, Cian O'Sullivan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Roman McNamee has had a great year. I'd have McCurry in there too, probably instead of McManus really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I wouldn't have Connelly this year, played well yesterday but that's not enough. I'd have JOD ahead of him , he was decent yesterday.

I'd have James McCarty ahead of Keegan, his performances were better timed I think he's a better defender and he hits harder. Keegan might get it to balance things out. Someone else ahead of of J Cooper would be fairer imo. McCarty gave an example of half back play over the last two games imo.

Mattie does deserve a mention alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Philly Mcmahon shouldnt be considered , he is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Philly Mcmahon shouldnt be considered , he is a disgrace

He may be a disgrace but that didn't stop Ryan McMenamin and Paul Galvin getting All Stars. The All-Star I would pick would be different from the one I think will be picked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Roman McNamee has had a great year. I'd have McCurry in there too, probably instead of McManus really.

It's a strange thing to say about someone who went out in the quarters, but McManus is an absolute cert I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

shrewdness wrote: »
    It's a strange thing to say about someone who went out in the quarters, but McManus is an absolute cert I reckon.

He'll be in there, no question about it. Monaghan wouldn't have been in an Ulster final or won an Ulster final without him. Just think McCurry deserves an inclusion despite not having the profile McManus has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

He'll be in there, no question about it. Monaghan wouldn't have been in an Ulster final or won an Ulster final without him. Just think McCurry deserves an inclusion despite not having the profile McManus has.

I'm not arguing against McCurry either, he's had a very good year, I just think if he's gets in it won't be at McManus's expense. For me Brogan and McManus should be nailed on with the third spot up in the air for a few players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Brendan Kealy - Default choice really
    Shane Enright - Very solid defender. Good game yesterday.
    Rory O' Carroll - Obvious
    Philly McMahon - In defence and attack made Gooch and AOS look silly. I love players with an edge to them but for his own sake i hope the GAA ban him for his facial.
    James McCarthy - Nuts and bolts best halfback in the country this year.
    Lee Keegan - Consistently good.
    Jack McCaffrey - Obvious
    Brian Fenton - Very mobile, wonderful passer, works hard, hits hard and holds his own in the air. Amazing for a lad first year IC.
    Mattie Donnelly - Tight. Very tight. Maher and Parsons had their moments. Donnellys performance against Monaghan eclipses them all for me.
    Diarmuid O' Connor - Tireless worker. Never gave up against Dublin and had loads of classy touches.
    Ciaran Kilkenny - Obvious
    Dermot Connolly - Had poor games by his standards against Mayo. Brilliant in the games prior. Yesterday worked hard, got on a lot of ball and set up more than one score.
    James O' Donoghue - Works immensely hard to offer an option. Must be a nightmare to mark. Always chips in with important scores.
    Bernard Brogan - Obvious
    Paddy Andrews - Brilliant for Dublin in the games needed most.

Dublin 9, Kerry 3, Mayo 2, Tyrone 1. Lots of Dubs but they won all four competitions this year and were unarguably a bit ahead of the rest.

Just missing out: Cian O' Sullivan, Frank McGlynn, Donnacha Walsh, Conor McManus, Darren McCurry and Ronan McNabb.

Players who don't deserve it: Paul Flynn, Sean Cavanagh, Peter Harte, Cillian O' Connor and David Moran.

Players who definitely don't deserve it: Aidan O' Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Dermot Connolly doesn't deserve one.

Rory O Carroll, Andrews and Mattie Donnolly deserve to be there. James MCCarthy should also be in the frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Connolly doesnt deserve nor he wont get an all star. he was really poor in the big games and only played well against division 3 and 4 teams.

Dublin will get Mcmahon, O Carroll, O Sullivan, Jack, Fenton and Brogan. Kerry will get 4 - Kealy, Enright, Maher/Moran and Walsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

1. Kealy
    2. Enright
    3. O'Carroll
    4. McMahon
    5. Keegan
    6. O'Sullivan
    7. McCaffrey
    8. Fenton
    9. Maher
    10. D O'Connor
    11. Kilkenny
    12. Walsh
    13. O'Donoghue
    14. Brogan
    15. McManus

7 Dublin, 5 Kerry, 2 Mayo, 1 Monaghan. Hard to not include any Tyrone players with Donnelly probably the most deserving, also strongly considered Parsons for 9. 13 is also tough to choose with McCurry, Andrews and O'Donoghue all having a good year. McCaffrey should get FOTY with O'Connor getting YFOTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I might get stick but I think Andrews has been more important than Bernard. He performed better in the 3 final games which were most important and everything stuck to him yesterday when everyone else seemed to be fumbling it. He's been underrated for years but seems to be getting his praise this year, I'd love to see him get an all star but id say he'll fall short.

I like cornys team though I might put McManus and Cian in, wouldn't have many arguments though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

shrewdness wrote: »

All Stars are usually made up of the finalists, one or two from each SF loser and one from somewhere else.

McManus gets the somewhere else selection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'd be with you on all of those choices OP.....although based on Connolly's red card and McMahon's apparent eye gouging on the Gooch it might be better if they didn't get picked.....as players they deserve it but I don't think it would go over well with the rest of the GAA community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

corny wrote: »
    Brendan Kealy - Default choice really
    Shane Enright - Very solid defender. Good game yesterday.
    Rory O' Carroll - Obvious
    Philly McMahon - In defence and attack made Gooch and AOS look silly. I love players with an edge to them but for his own sake i hope the GAA ban him for his facial.
    James McCarthy - Nuts and bolts best halfback in the country this year.
    Lee Keegan - Consistently good.
    Jack McCaffrey - Obvious
    Brian Fenton - Very mobile, wonderful passer, works hard, hits hard and holds his own in the air. Amazing for a lad first year IC.
    Mattie Donnelly - Tight. Very tight. Maher and Parsons had their moments. Donnellys performance against Monaghan eclipses them all for me.
    Diarmuid O' Connor - Tireless worker. Never gave up against Dublin and had loads of classy touches.
    Ciaran Kilkenny - Obvious
    Dermot Connolly - Had poor games by his standards against Mayo. Brilliant in the games prior. Yesterday worked hard, got on a lot of ball and set up more than one score.
    James O' Donoghue - Works immensely hard to offer an option. Must be a nightmare to mark. Always chips in with important scores.
    Bernard Brogan - Obvious
    Paddy Andrews - Brilliant for Dublin in the games needed most.

Dublin 9, Kerry 3, Mayo 2, Tyrone 1. Lots of Dubs but they won all four competitions this year and were unarguably a bit ahead of the rest.

Just missing out: Cian O' Sullivan, Frank McGlynn, Donnacha Walsh, Conor McManus, Darren McCurry and Ronan McNabb.

Players who don't deserve it: Paul Flynn, Sean Cavanagh, Peter Harte, Cillian O' Connor and David Moran.

Players who definitely don't deserve it: Aidan O' Shea.

Can't see Connolly getting one. He had two quiet semi-final displays and was not much of a factor in the final either. Can't see him getting one based on just the Leinster championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

What I think it should be:

Kealy

Enright
    O'Carroll
    McMahon

McCarthy
    Keegan
    McCaffery

Fenton
    Donnelly

D O'Connor
    Kilkenny
    Donnacha Walsh

Brogan
    McManus
    Andrews

I would like to fit a couple in (Peter Harte, Maher, Quigley) but it's very competitive.

I think Connolly, O'Sullivan and O'Donoghue will make it into the actual list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Funny how David Moran and Connolly were favourites for player of the year a while ago yet now they're apparently not good enough for an all star? Madness.

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Funny how David Moran and Connolly were favourites for player of the year a while ago yet now they're apparently not good enough for an all star? Madness.

They both had very quiet semi finals and finals. Makes a lot of sense really. You'd essentially be giving Moran an All-Star for his performance against Cork in the replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Figsy32 wrote: »
    They both had very quiet semi finals and finals. Makes a lot of sense really. You'd essentially be giving Moran an All-Star for his performance against Cork in the replay.

Connolly was arguably one of Dublins best players in the final though.

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Connolly was arguably one of Dublins best players in the final though.

I thought he was largely quiet. A couple lovely touches of quality to set up other people but I thought Kerry's Walsh had a bigger impact on the game. Also thought O'Connor was very good in both semi finals so there's no room for Connolly in my team.

All a matter of opinions though and I wouldn't think much of it if Connolly was included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Kealy
    Enright
    O Carroll
    McMahon
    Keegan
    O Sullivan
    McCaffrey
    Fenton
    Maher
    O Connor
    Kilkenny
    Walsh
    O Donoghue
    Brogan
    McManus

Paddy Andrews is well deserving of an All Star,honourable mentions to Mattie Donnelly,Darren McCurry,Peter Harte,James McCarthy and Aidan O Shea.It would'nt surprise me at all if Aidan gets an All Star in spite of his many critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Connolly doesnt deserve one

Kealy

Enright
    O'Carroll
    McMahon

McCaffrey
    O'Sullivan
    Harte

Donnelly
    Fenton

O'Connor
    Kilkenny
    Walsh

McManus
    Brogan
    Andrews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

seligehgit wrote: »
    Kealy
    Enright
    O'Carroll
    McMahon
    Keegan
    O Sullivan
    McCaffrey
    Fenton
    Maher
    O Connor
    Kilkenny
    Walsh
    O Donoghue
    Brogan
    McManus

Paddy Andrews is well deserving of an All Star,honourable mentions to Mattie Donnelly,Darren McCurry,Peter Harte,James McCarthy and Aidan O Shea.It would'nt surprise me at all if Aidan gets an All Star in spite of his many critics.

That's close to my selection, only changes I would make would be Mattie Donnelly in place of O'Connor (even though he played MF I think he'll be selected as HF). I also think AOS will get in ahead of JOD. Finally I think McNamee has an outside chance of pipping O'Carroll to the fullback spot, he was outstanding for Tyrone this year.

Full 15.
    Kealy
    Enright
    McNamee
    McMahon
    Keegan
    O Sullivan
    McCaffrey
    Fenton
    Maher
    Donnelly
    Kilkenny
    Walsh
    Brogan
    O'Shea
    McManus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Peter Hartes name keeps popping up? To my eye he wasn't even the best Tyrone half back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Saw the top 50 players this year in the indo.

for westmeath no Heslin, but Martin made it.
    For the Dubs no bastic but lads he did better than Imo on the dublin team were on it like McManamon.
    Thought JOD was low on it.

Didn't see McCurry on it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=244958

The nominees have been revealed anyway, with Peter Harte surprisingly named as a forward. But with Donnelly included amongst the forwards, he almost certainly is going to get the nod on the half forward line.

Kealy

Enright
    O'Carroll
    McMahon

Keegan
    O'Sullivan
    McCaffrey (with McCarthy maybe deserving at 5 but a lack of any other competition at six meaning that COS is a default selection).

Maher
    Fenton

Donnelly
    Kilkenny
    Walsh

McManus
    O'Shea
    Brogan

Generally picks itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Surely the all-England champions should be better represented in this list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, surprised not to see Prince Harry on the list. He really kept Wayne Rooney in his pocket in the All England final. :rolleyes:

Advertisement