Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations on monitors?

Options
  • 21-09-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    The parents 17" CRT is on its last legs.
    Looking to get a new flatscreen with really good power efficiency and DVI or VGA input, as PC has no HDMI output.
    Budget around 150.
    Size wise, I want the vertical to be the same size at least as the 17" 4:3 so that's probably about 20" in 16:9.

Bells and whistles would be great, but its really just a Facebook machine. No games.

Any recommendations, or stuff I should avoid?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

You could get a benq 24" on european amazons for that sort of money.

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B005OPLG0O/?tag=curiua03-21

If you have a specific monitor in mind search on https://www.curiua.com/

or just search for a specific size and it will show the best price for all the european amazons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Cool, thanks.

I'm not sure about 24" though. Maybe 20-22" might be suitable for where it's going in the house.

I'll have a look at that Curiua site and see if I can figure out how to search by size.

I've seen that BenQ monitor popup in searches a few times. Would they be considered to be in the upper range?
    What about Aon? I've seen a few of them as well.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Cool, thanks.

I'm not sure about 24" though. Maybe 20-22" might be suitable for where it's going in the house.

I'll have a look at that Curiua site and see if I can figure out how to search by size.

I've seen that BenQ monitor popup in searches a few times. Would they be considered to be in the upper range?
    What about Aon? I've seen a few of them as well.

Thanks.

No idea about aon but benq fairly solid. For the search just put in 22" monitor or whatever size u want or if you search on uk amazon and find one you like and then just search for the specific one you want on curiua to find the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Might be better to look at 16:10 if it's mainly for browsing etc (either that or look for something that can be rotated to portrait). 16:9 is good for TV/movies, but I'm not convinced of it for general computer use.

Also, HDMI is mostly backward compatible with DVI, so it can be easily converted (simple passive converter).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Are 16:10 that common?
    I see the point you're making. The one thing I dislike about widescreens is the lack of height, and since this is for browsing and Word etc, height is more important than width.
    If you have any recommendations of 16:10 screens, I'd be interested to hear them.

I'm looking at reviews online here for them now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement