Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use excel to do something with email addresses

Options
  • 21-09-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

I have a spreadsheet with several hundred people on it. One of the fields is their email addresses all in one column. I want to be able to find out how many people use Hotmail/gmail/other/corporate addresses & find that out as a percentage

e.g. 100 users, 27 use hotmail, 36 use gmail, 13 use corporate email, 24 use other email (.edu etc)

Is there a formula that will examine the email column & look at everything after the "@" symbol & give me this info in another sheet ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Once you know all the email domains you want to count you could do this using countif

so, for hotmail =countif([range], "*@hotmail.com") will count every entry in a range with @hotmail.com in it, regardless of what's before the @. =countif([range], "*@gmail.com") will do the same for Gmail addresses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You could always save the excel file as text, then import only the email column into a new excel file and use the @ symbol as a delimiter. This will give you two columns, the email name and the provider. For which you could then sort/count etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Hints:
    =search()
    =right()
    =len()
    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH("@",A1))
    when A1 contains an email. then count the results

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Hints:
    =search()
    =right()
    =len()
    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH("@",A1))
    when A1 contains an email. then count the results

This worked fast !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Could you use the "find" option. It's on the top right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement