Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with the law! HELP!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

psinno wrote: »
    Fair enough. I assumed you couldn't and I didn't see it in the list below but it is
    a long enough list so I probably just missed it.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf

It may have changed you seem to be right I can't see it there either, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nicmarie

No he had driving offences when he was a teenager so if they find out that it is him he will be probably banned off the road. He also provided the guard with a fake date of birth when he was stopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

nicmarie wrote: »
    will they definitely follow up the 10days to produce his license? Could he maybe get rid of the car, I aknow I am thinking of things that are wrong but he is not going to go to court he will leave the country before that happens.

They will more than likely follow up and getting rid of the car wont make a difference.

If he leaves the country and doesn't show up with his documents or to court (when he fails to produce), a warrant could be issued for his arrest, which fcuks him up if he ever wants to come back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No he had driving offences when he was a teenager so if they find out that it is him he will be probably banned off the road. He also provided the guard with a fake date of birth when he was stopped

Ah so the full story is now coming out

That changes things somewhat op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

You really need to explain the full situation otherwise posting is pointless.....

Was he banned when he was stopped?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So he has been caught before for driving without a license? What happened last time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Your brother really needs to start learning from his mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Was there a reason he didn't want to get his licence sorted first? Is he already banned from driving abroad? If he's banned here (potentially), would that affect his ability to get a licence abroad? It should do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

No point keeping information back or people can't give advice. Is there anything else at all that is going to be a factor? Why did he give a fake DoB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

He needs to talk to a solicitor.

Everything else is just guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

He has 10 days to produce a licence to a Garda station, he will also need to produce insurance details at the same time. Not producing either will result in a court date.

Lying, making false statements to Gardai and fleeing the country are miles worse than the original offence.

He will probably get a fine, points, possible ban for driving. He needs to talk to a solicitor to ground him in reality. It's not like he robbed a bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sounds like a load of waffle OP. Sorry but you keep coming up with more bits of information. Would it not make more sense to say it all. See this is how you get into trouble.Sounds like your brother has taken too many chances and tis time it caught up with him... tell him to take it like and man and you should stop covering for him also

Yes there is more to the story, he was caught driving 10 years ago with a fake licence so thats why he went to America for 10 years. He came home and planned to take the driving test but he is dyslexic so he found it hard listening to the CD and taking it all in so he was putting it off. He lives in a very small town in the countryside so he wasnt too worried. There is no way he will face up to this....

Yes there is more to the story, he was caught driving 10 years ago with a fake licence so thats why he went to America for 10 years. He came home and planned to take the driving test but he is dyslexic so he found it hard listening to the CD and taking it all in so he was putting it off. He lives in a very small town in the countryside so he wasnt too worried. There is no way he will face up to this....

So hes already fled the country once, came back, did the same thing again, and wants to run again?

He needs a slap of some sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes there is more to the story, he was caught driving 10 years ago with a fake licence so thats why he went to America for 10 years.
    Kinda thought that was the case. That'll catch up to him now.
    He came home and planned to take the driving test but he is dyslexic so he found it hard listening to the CD and taking it all in so he was putting it off.
    Lot's of people are dyslexic. Its a hurdle. Not a barrier. Also, it doesn't effect listening to CDs.
    He lives in a very small town in the countryside so he wasnt too worried. There is no way he will face up to this....
    He may have no choice but to. The size of the town has feckall to do with anything.

Seriously. He sounds like a bit of a tool in this regard. You appear to be running around trying to sort this out for him, so that he can continue to refuse to grow up and sort his life out. Step back. Its his problem. If he doesn't start taking consequences and sort his life out he'll continue to be a tool. You're really not doing him any favours.

Thats kind of a big thing to omit. Did you not think that might have been worth mentioning? I know he is your brother but its hard to see how you can be defending him here.

I am dyslexic too but I wouldn't go driving round without a licence lying about it because I couldn't be arsed to do the work. It might take a little longer but thats just the way it is its got to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sorry now but being dyslexic is no excuse stop making excuses for him for fecks sake. It has gone like well my brother done this, weep weep... Then you tell the a bit more of how your brother has already done this and you still feel sorry for him, and then tell more...

Unless your brother is 2 which is highly unlikely then his old enough to take responsibility for what he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 michealsad

Just a question, Is your brother a citizen in the USA ? or was he 'un-documentated' I know this is completely off topic, however if he was there illegally, he may having difficulty getting back....?

Your brother sounds like an idiot. He needs to grow up and take responsibility for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

When he goes to court, which it will, I hope the judge throws the book at him so hard that it gives him a concussion.

I suspect that even if he is banned in the future that it won't prevent him from driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

Sounds like your brother needs to grow a pair and face up to his actions instead of running away and leaving you to fight his battles.

I can get the sense of your worry but really best thing he can do is get a good solicitor and take the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭lightspeed

A few years back when I still had a provisional license, I changed cars. I had it insured but disk had not arrived yet and had not yet received log but back from Shannon to tax it. I was stopped by two gaurds when leaving a friends house one night and hadn't got my proper headlights fully on.

The gaurds asked me about my license and I didn't have it on me at time but admitted I had a provisional only.

They ordered me to produce license and proof of insurance in 10 days. I went down on the sunday which would have been 7 days and a guard took all I brought into a room, presumably to take a copy and handed it back just a minute or two later.

About 2 months later, one of the two gaurds on the night knocked on my door with a summons to court saying I failed to produce the requested documents.

I went to court and waited to be heard but their were other or probably bigger cases being heard before judge retired for a break. I asked the same guard in the court if the judge would hear my case today and she said he would. He then asked if had all documents with me, I said I had and showed them to him.

He looked at them briefly and told me that was fine and I could go home. It appeared as if there was no court case for me or that the judge would have ever called my name but yet it was a official court summons, one page for each requested document / violation.

So im assuming if your brother just leaves the country, there will be a garda knocking on your door looking for him to issue a summons.

You could try phoning free legal aid for advise but you would probably be better off consulting with a solicitor, experienced in such offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Oh dear... this took a turn. There's pretty much nothing he can do, was there a summons for him last time? Did he go to America to avoid going to court or was it dealt with before he went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

He'll get a fine about 200 or 300 Euro and points on a licence he has yet to get.

The other issue of 10 years ago is passed the statute of limitations for motoring offences.

He took a gamble and lost. Now it's time to pay up. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Your brother was driving over 10 years ago, got motoring offences and moved to America rather than dealing with it. Lived in America for 10 years, and has been back for a few months. So I have to assume your brother is at least 28, probably 30. Which means at the age of around 30, he was driving with no tax, no insurance, no license, and to top it all off, he lied to a Garda.

He needs to take whatever the punishment is on the chin. He's old enough to have known better, especially if he needs his car for work as badly as you say.

He got off it! Thanks for your responses

He got off it! Thanks for your responses

Within a week, he's produced a licence that he doesn't have to the Gardai?

Alright. Totally believable.

Within a week, he's produced a licence that he doesn't have to the Gardai?

Alright. Totally believable.

No but there are ways around everything

Well if nothing else hopefully he learns not to do so many stupid things in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jimmii wrote: »
    Well if nothing else hopefully he learns not to do so many stupid things in the future.

I suspect not...

Advertisement