Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with the law! HELP!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

So what are these ways ? Since you came looking for ideas and got lots of advice,II think its reasonable to ask how he got sorted. Might help someone in a similar situation out.
    And it might be an idea to suggest he gets everything sorted before going back on the road or you'll be posting again in a few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I'd be very interested to know how he got off?

No offence OP, but your brother sounds like a complete space cadet. How at the age of around 30, has he not got a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nicmarie

I'd be very interested to know how he got off?

No offence OP, but your brother sounds like a complete space cadet. How at the age of around 30, has he not got a bit of cop on.

He is a bit of a space cadet. He went to a local station and told the cop that he had lost the licence and couldn't produce it miles away where he was stopped the cop then checked his insurance which he gave in to him. The cop then said not to worry that he'd sort it... He was lucky. He said he is going to get his act together so let's hope so :)

So he is still spinning the aul yarns to the Guards? Jeez!

FFS, and I don't mean to be getting on to you, but what is you brother's deal like? I assume he's 30ish as someone estimated and he seems to be behaving like a 15 year old saying i lost my homework. Even the "I lost it" excuse isn't acceptable from a 15yo.

I think your family need to sit him down and talk some sense into him. On the driving front anyway, tell him to get a learner permit, book some lessons and apply for the test.
    Or is he going to live the rest of his life as a space cadet ducking and diving away from any sort of responsibility?

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Surely the guard will have taken his details and then be able to look up whether or not he actually has a licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

nicmarie wrote: »
    He is a bit of a space cadet. He went to a local station and told the cop that he had lost the licence and couldn't produce it miles away where he was stopped the cop then checked his insurance which he gave in to him. The cop then said not to worry that he'd sort it... He was lucky. He said he is going to get his act together so let's hope so :)

Well if the lies don't work to start may as well just keep lying and hope it some how works out. How could that go wrong.

awec wrote: »
    Surely the guard will have taken his details and then be able to look up whether or not he actually has a licence?

That's what I thought but he didn't.

That's what I thought but he didn't.

Eventually he's going to run out of luck and they're going to come down on him hard once they dig all this up.

So he is still spinning the aul yarns to the Guards? Jeez!

FFS, and I don't mean to be getting on to you, but what is you brother's deal like? I assume he's 30ish as someone estimated and he seems to be behaving like a 15 year old saying i lost my homework. Even the "I lost it" excuse isn't acceptable from a 15yo.

I think your family need to sit him down and talk some sense into him. On the driving front anyway, tell him to get a learner permit, book some lessons and apply for the test.
    Or is he going to live the rest of his life as a space cadet ducking and diving away from any sort of responsibility?

He didn't tell the rest of the family only me. He has bought the theory book and cd and he says he will get the act together. If you knew the amount of things he has gotten away with in life you wouldn't believe me! And he's never been arrested.. I always said he had a screw loose..

He didn't tell the rest of the family only me. He has bought the theory book and cd and he says he will get the act together. If you knew the amount of things he has gotten away with in life you wouldn't believe me! And he's never been arrested.. I always said he had a screw loose..

He felt the need to leave the country for 10 years thats hardly getting away with it.

• Advertisement

What other strokes has he pulled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What other strokes has he pulled?

More importantly, what stroke did he pull to get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Has he told his insurance company he doesn't hold a valid licence or learners permit? And is he still driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't know. The bell end here isn't the OP. It's her brother. Who, admittedly, has been presented as a monumental bell end. Maybe lay off her?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

endacl wrote: »
    I don't know. The bell end here isn't the OP. It's her brother. Who, admittedly, has been presented as a monumental bell end. Maybe lay off her?

Pretty much as big a problem making a joke about how "there are ways around everything" like she's delighted he lied to the guards, twice, and got away with it.

Or at least, appears to have gotten away with it.

When they realise he holds no licence and was caught driving before on an illegal one in this country, he could end up getting a lovely letter in the post to the address supplied on his dodgy insurance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Except he hasn't sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Stheno wrote: »
    It's a fixed penalty notice with a fine and points

You'd swear it was the end of the world the way you are posting

He could get 6 months for providing false information to obtain insurance. It's not a motoring offence, it's deception - Criminal Justice (Theft and other fraud offences) Act 2001.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Obtaining insurance by fraud or deception is an offence under Section 64 of the Road traffic Act 1961.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Did he pay all fines for his previous motoring convictions? Because that could come back to haunt him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Nomis21 wrote: »
    He'll get a fine about 200 or 300 Euro and points on a licence he has yet to get.

The other issue of 10 years ago is passed the statute of limitations for motoring offences.

He took a gamble and lost. Now it's time to pay up. Simple as that.

Presumably the matter was prosecuted and he was convicted ten years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

OP your brother is an idiot and you're his enabler. It's shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Marcusm wrote: »
    He could get 6 months for providing false information to obtain insurance. It's not a motoring offence, it's deception - Criminal Justice (Theft and other fraud offences) Act 2001.
    Yea, and all the bankers will be jailed for their part in the banking crisis. (Not)
    This is Ireland, there are ways and means about everything. Gardai are not generally in the habit of chasing people 10 years on for anything, especially motoring offences. All the holier than thou posting on boards.ie won't change that.

Advertisement