Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing motor insurance company mid policy

• 21-09-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I renewed my insurance in August for the year. The cost of it had gone up substantially from last year. I have since got 3 penalty points for doing 57 in a 50. Contacted the insurance company and they are saying that there is now €198 euro to be paid for this. this sounds mad and excessive. have friends with 4 points and had no loading on theres. What are my options here. can you cancel your current policy and look for fresh quotes elswhere. really dont know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You can cancel your policy, but you won't get all of the unused portion of the premium back.

The insurance company (if they're willing to refund you any at all) will have a scale of percentages that they'll return depending on how long the policy has to run. I did this this year (for a different reason though!), the policy was only about 6 weeks old and I got most of the rest of the premium back. Had it been much later in the policy, I'd have got a much smaller proportion back though.

Would be worth doing the maths on it before you move - get other quotes and contact your own insurers to see what their cancellation policies are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I renewed my insurance in August for the year. The cost of it had gone up substantially from last year. I have since got 3 penalty points for doing 57 in a 50. Contacted the insurance company and they are saying that there is now €198 euro to be paid for this. this sounds mad and excessive. have friends with 4 points and had no loading on theres. What are my options here. can you cancel your current policy and look for fresh quotes elswhere. really dont know what to do.

I didnt realise that you had to contact the insurance company mid policy to tell them about a speeding offence.
    Thought it would be just at renewal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

dobsdave wrote: »
    I didnt realise that you had to contact the insurance company mid policy to tell them about a speeding offence.
    Thought it would be just at renewal

The duty of disclosure revives at renewal date. However, insurers have being inserting contract conditions that you must notify them immediately

Advertisement