Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable level of noise from housemate early in the morning

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

AiAiAi! ¡Andale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

athtrasna wrote: »
    Almost everyone I work with and close friends are up by 6.30am, 7 at the absolute latest. Nothing abnormal about it. Commuting, family obligations, prework exercise, flexitime or just early morning meetings.

Having a blender going at 6:30am is absolutely not acceptable, just like the OP wouldn't put a blender on at half ten or eleven at night.

A bit of consideration is needed! It doesn't matter that the OP starts his day a bit later.

But it is unreasonable to expect them to not do something as basic as make a smoothie that they have for their breakfast if it is something that cannot be made the night before

If it's a smoothie, which it most likely is, it can be made the night before. In fact, you can make enough for a couple of days. Sedimentation? Yes, that's what spoons and other mixing devices are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

OP is being extremely petty. There are way more important things to be worrying about that a few doors closing in the morning. When you are renting you have to put up with that type of thing, if you don't like it buy your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

OP is being extremely petty. There are way more important things to be worrying about that a few doors closing in the morning. When you are renting you have to put up with that type of thing, if you don't like it buy your own house.

I wouldn't agree. I think it would be extremely easy for the housemate to be a little more considerate in these circumstances.

I think a lot could be achieved by a simple one minute conversation though, so go for it OP, you may be pleasantly surprised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

If the inconsiderate behaviour is causing one to lose sleep, then yes, it is a serious issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 F412

OP is being extremely petty. There are way more important things to be worrying about that a few doors closing in the morning.

As I pointed out its a combination of many things but the blender is the biggest issue. Even if it was only doors its very easy to close doors gently a thing I always do myself late at night for instance.

Would it be very petty of someone came on here complaining about noise at 1am? As to me its the same thing.

I do on occasion get home from work very late and would be cooking dinner late (11pm or possibly later) and I am very conscious of the amount of noise I make around the kitchen at this time in case my housemate is sleeping, particularity as by the time washing up time comes it could be after 12 (If it was more than a small wash up I'd probably leave it to the morning in the interest of keeping noise down).
    When you are renting you have to put up with that type of thing, if you don't like it buy your own house.

I know you have to put up with lots of stuff and I do like anyone, I could start 10 threads if I was to complain about all the give and take that goes on in a houseshare but I accept the majority of it. As for buying my own house I certainly will be but just not right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

F412 wrote: »
    As I pointed out its a combination of many things but the blender is the biggest issue

I think this thread has really started going around in circles. OP, general consensus is you stand to lose nothing if you politely and casually talk to your housemate and ask about the blender..

Less of the keyboard warrior stuff, go and talk to your housemate.

Let us know how you get on, the response you get, and good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

F412 wrote: »
    In fairness I don't think getting up at 6 to 6:30 is the norm at all. I would say 7am to 8am would cover quite a lot of people but still even looking at this poll (which wont be overly accurate but still gives an idea) almost 50% of voters get up after 8am.

As I mentioned I've lived with quite a few different people in the last few years, accountants, IT professionals, finance workers, engineers, construction workers and I work in a science related discipline myself and I wold say 7:45 onwards was when most people I have lived with would start getting up. Out of say 15 or 16 different housemates I reckon only two or possibly 3 (including my current one) got up before 7:30am. I usually aim to get up between 8:30 and 9 which is very normal in my area of work and also for a lot of people working in IT, various different roles in multi-nations etc which all have very flexible start times.
    Better stay in Ireland. You wouldn't like it in the US, where is it not unusual for people to get up at 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

6.30 is fine. A lot of people need to be in work for 8, so shower, dress, dress, breakfast and commute could easily take 1.5 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

6.30 is fine. A lot of people need to be in work for 8, so shower, dress, dress, breakfast and commute could easily take 1.5 hours.

It's a fine time to rise and shine for sure, but you don't need to be slamming doors etc unnecessarily.

I live in a house share and I am gone out the door at 7am at the latest every morning as I begin work at 8am. I have enough awareness and cop on not to go waking everyone in the house up though for the sake of it. They work off slightly different schedules to me (get up at 7:45am or so). Pretty selfish if you ask me to wake them an hour before their schedule.

I wouldn't agree. I think it would be extremely easy for the housemate to be a little more considerate in these circumstances.

I think a lot could be achieved by a simple one minute conversation though, so go for it OP, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Exactly, there's no harm talking to the housemate about it, and no reason why he couldn't try to be a bit quieter.

Blenders are seriously noisy, can't believe people think it's fine to be using them at half six in the morning when people are trying to sleep! Maybe it's because in my house growing up, we wouldn't be allowed to use one past, say, 10pm at night, due to the nosiness.

Also, whilst I don't think getting up at 6:30am is that early really, I don't know why people seem to be almost insinuating the OP is lazy for getting up later than that. He presumably works a full day like anyone else, his just happens to start a bit later than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

idnkph wrote: »
    You can say it to them nicely and keep it friendly. If your flatmate continues to make noise after that then try some ear plugs.
    If that doesn't work then its time to move on.

You can always just speak to your housemate. Make a banter out of the situation and a light joke. I'm sure your housemate doesn't mean to be loud but I think you should say something before it gets to the stage where you can't tolerate it anymore and god knows what will happen.

Better stay in Ireland. You wouldn't like it in the US, where is it not unusual for people to get up at 4am.

I certainly wouldn't 4am should only be seen when staying up.

I've no intention of moving abroad anyway and the nature of my area of work will more than likely mean I will have a lot of flexibility on start/finish times even with a different employer. I'd find it very difficult now having rigid work hours after a good few years of "getting the work done" being the important factor not being in a 8am or 9am just for the sake of it.

I meant to add in the last posted a general comment that yes I'm reading the advise on having a chat, I'm just replying to posters questions/suggestions also as aside from the advise I'm am interested in the different opinions on the subject .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Tarzana2 wrote:
    I don't know why people seem to be almost insinuating the OP is lazy for getting up later than that. He presumably works a full day like anyone else, his just happens to start a bit later than normal.

Huh? I don't believe anybody suggested the OP is lazy? I certainly don't think keeping different hours makes him lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

6:30am is fine, loads of people do it, especially with commuting. The blender though? No... just no.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think people are losing track here.

It's not the time the guy is getting up that's the problem it's the noise.

When you're in a houseshare you have to be wary of not putting the other people out too much.

Huh? I don't believe anybody suggested the OP is lazy? I certainly don't think keeping different hours makes him lazy.

Nobody outwardly suggesting it, it's more of an insinuation, and maybe I'm just imagining it! :)

CatFromHue wrote: »

When you're in a houseshare you have to be wary of not putting the other people out too much.

Yeah, it's not the time he rises. It's just about having consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

The two issues are related.

If you are up and about at a reasonable time, you shouldn't have to tip-toe too much, and if you live in a houseshare you can expect noise during the day.

Imagine one housemate worked nights and slept all day. Could they confine all the others to silent living?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mkhall

CatFromHue wrote: »

+1, it's simple just ask them to be gentler with the doors and ask if blender has a lower setting to lightly suggest they not use it. My neighbour likes to warm up his motorcycle engine for 5mins at 6:25am every morning and I lose an extra 45 mins of sleep for this so I feel your pain. (And Yes I wear earplugs)

Imagine one housemate worked nights and slept all day. Could they confine all the others to silent living?

They couldn't but most people don't work nights. People who work nights tend to have all kinds of plans and tricks in place to help them sleep during the day, in my experience. But as most people work during the day, they'd likely have silence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,617 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    If it's a smoothie, which it most likely is, it can be made the night before. In fact, you can make enough for a couple of days. Sedimentation? Yes, that's what spoons and other mixing devices are for.

Depends what's in it. Sedimentation would certainly not be a reason to not make in advance. But you if something like a Greek yoghurt and acidic fruit is there together, time is not kind.

I think the housemate just doesn't realise how loud it is being downstairs especially below a bedroom so a chat might resolve it all.

Depends what's in it. Sedimentation would certainly not be a reason to not make in advance. But you if something like a Greek yoghurt and acidic fruit is there together, time is not kind.

Stir the yogurt in in the morning. :) Sorry, but I'd find it really hard to muster sympathy for people's smoothie woes. :pac: Blenders are very loud yokes, no way is it acceptable to be using one that early (or late) in a house-share or most places really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,617 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Stir the yogurt in in the morning. :) Sorry, but I'd find it really hard to muster sympathy for people's smoothie woes. :pac: Blenders are very loud yokes, no way is it acceptable to be using one that early (or late) in a house-share or most places really.

it's not the stirring. It's the citric acid and the yoghurt....left too long and it spoils. That's different to settling. If a stir is all it takes in the morning, there's no compelling reason to make it in the morning instead of overnight.

Like I said, they probably just don't appreciate it's waking people upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I live in an apartment building and wouldn't dream of using my blender at 6.30 in the morning, never mind in a shared house. Some noise in a shared home is to be expected, but likewise it's not unreasonable to expect that someone make a small effort to close the doors quietly and refrain from operating loud machinery when they know two thirds of the house is still trying to sleep.

I would (politely) tell him straight out that his banging and blending is waking you only hours after you get to bed and ask if he could please tone it down, either by putting the blender on and under a towel or using a lower setting. You might also ask if your night-time noise is disturbing him (if he's up so early, he presumably sleeps earlier than you) and if there's anything he'd like you to tone down in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The housemate's bedroom is next door to the kitchen, he probably has no idea that the noise carries upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Regardless of time, housemates should try to keep noise down while others are sleeping. It's a bit more difficult if someone works nights but usually they have ways of adapting.

Blenders while other people asleep, especially before 8am is a complete no. There are quieter breakfasts and if he really has to have a smoothie at that time he should either live with people with a similar schedule or on his own. I wouldn't even use a blender in case the next door apartment hears it. Singing while other people are sleeping is also something that shouldnt be happening. The doors could be him attempting to keep noise down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement