Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed Electric Ireland DD payment

Options
  • 21-09-2015 4:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

I have missed my esb direct debit payment and now they want a 300 euro deposit from me, I am not in a position to pay this so what are my options. If they insist on the 300 euro can I cancel my contract and switch to Airtricity? Will airtricty require the 300 euro deposit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes, more than likely airtricity will want a deposit.

Talk to ESB, explain that you can't afford the deposit, and come to an arrangement with them. Also, pay your outstanding bill that was missed by the failed DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Is 100% possible to get airtricity in ever home that went with electric ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Check your contract and when it ends - you may be under contract, which means you might end up paying a termination fee.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Check your contract and when it ends - you may be under contract, which means you might end up paying a termination fee.

It wasnt me that signed up with EI, the agency did

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It wasnt me that signed up with EI, the agency did

Who is the account holder? You or the agency?

If you are the account holder, it doesn't matter who signed you up. You should still check if you are under contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I had a kinda similar situation with them. They won't cut you off if you're paying, OP. I agreed to pay the deposit, but never did. Every couple of months an automatically generated reminder letter would come through the door, and go straight in the bin. That was the extent of the hassle. When we moved out, we settled the final bill and that was the end of it.

What happens if you stay with them for life? They have 300 quid of your cash that you never see a benefit from? Thuck fat.

Any chance they would sneakily try and take the deposit off you when you are paying the actual bill over the phone?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Don't go to Bord Gais if you're not going to make every single payment 100% on time every time. They are the second worst company in the world to deal with, extra charges and somehow they even managed to hit me with a disconnection/reconnection fee despite never having disconnected me.

I've switched to EI for about a year or so now and I've paid them by DD every time so no problems and I find the bills are less than they were under Bord Gais but that could be less usage, IDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Pay the bill tell them they can't have a deposit look to move to level pay where you get billed every month instead of every two months. If they push you on the deposit ask them directly do they want to keep the business or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Pay the bill tell them they can't have a deposit look to move to level pay where you get billed every month instead of every two months. If they push you on the deposit ask them directly do they want to keep the business or not.

You're over complicating things unnecessarily there. Level pay is a nightmare at times if it isn't well balanced. Plus, they may be reluctant to give a new package if they are looking for a deposit.

OP, just pay the bill without delay. Don't worry about the deposit but make sure you don't miss any more payments. Electric Ireland are by far the best to deal with regarding payments and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

endacl wrote: »
    What happens if you stay with them for life? They have 300 quid of your cash that you never see a benefit from?
    You obviously don't understand security deposits. EI deposits are refunded to your account after 14 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Yeah, I had an electricity and a gas account with Bord Gas for two years, and they kept asking for a deposit on my gas account only (as I had previously had an electricity account with them). The deposit was €300. I didn't pay the deposit, just the bills, until they allocated some of my bill payment to the deposit!

Told them there was no way they could do this unauthorised and eventually got it reversed. Took a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi Paddy Dreadful,

We noticed you had a query regarding Electric Ireland's security deposit policy and we'd be happy to clarify a few things with you.

The security deposit is not required if you set the direct debit back up on your account, and you can do this here.

If you don't want to set a direct debit back up on your account then the security deposit is required. The deposit is held by Electric Ireland for 14 months (or seven clear bills) and is then returned to your account. Should you close your account prior to the 14 month period ending then the security deposit is also returned to your account and credited against your final bill.

Please feel free to send us a private message with the following details if you would like us to look into your account further.
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)
    We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Brige

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Hi Paddy Dreadful,

We noticed you had a query regarding Electric Ireland's security deposit policy and we'd be happy to clarify a few things with you.

The security deposit is not required if you set the direct debit back up on your account, and you can do this here.

If you don't want to set a direct debit back up on your account then the security deposit is required. The deposit is held by Electric Ireland for 14 months (or seven clear bills) and is then returned to your account. Should you close your account prior to the 14 month period ending then the security deposit is also returned to your account and credited against your final bill.

Please feel free to send us a private message with the following details if you would like us to look into your account further.
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)
    We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Brige

and if they don't pay the deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You obviously don't understand security deposits. EI deposits are refunded to your account after 14 months.

Didn't bother looking into it. As I'd no intention of paying it. We only planned to stay in the house for 12 months.

Advertisement