Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saudi Arabia will beheading the UN human rights panel.

• 21-09-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

The United Nations has been criticised for handing Saudi Arabia a key human rights role - despite the country having “arguably the worst record in the world” on freedoms for women, minorities and dissidents.
    UN Watch, an independent campaigning NGO, revealed Mr Trad, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador at the UN in Geneva, was elected as chair of a panel of independent experts on the UN Human Rights Council.

As head of a five-strong group of diplomats, the influential role would give Mr Trad the power to select applicants from around the world for scores of expert roles in countries where the UN has a mandate on human rights.

Such experts are often described as the "crown jewels" of the HRC, according to UN Watch, which has obtained official UN documents, dated 17 September, confirming the appointment.
    UN Watch executive director Hillel Neuer said the appointment, made in June but unreported until now, may have been a consolation prize for the Saudis after they withdrew their bid to head the 47-nation council following international condemnation of the kingdom’s human rights record.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/anger-after-saudi-arabia-chosen-to-head-key-un-human-rights-panel-10509716.html

In other Saudi human rights news: Young Ali Mohammed al-Namr is to be beheaded, and then crucified. His execution will be held in accordance with Sharia law. His “confession” came after rounds of mental and physical torture by Saudi authorities.
    A Saudi teenager is facing death by crucifixion in his home country of Saudi Arabia on charges activists say are politically motivated.
    In 2012, Ali Mohammed al-Nimr, then 17, was arrested in the country's Qatif province on reportedly shaky charges of illegal protesting and gun possession, the International Business Times reported Wednesday. There was never any evidence to support the guns charge.
    After being arrested, al-Nimr was held in jail and not allowed to speak to a lawyer. According to the British legal aid group Reprieve, al-Nimr was subject to torture to extract a forced confession. A closed appeals process — which he was not invited to and occurred without his knowledge — dismissed any remaining possibility that the nation's legal system would prevent his biblical execution.
    "No one should have to go through the ordeal Ali has suffered — torture, forced 'confession' and an unfair, secret trial process, resulting in a sentence of death by 'crucifixion,'" Maya Foa, director of Reprieve, saidin a statement.

http://mic.com/articles/125468/saudi-teenager-ali-mohammed-al-nimr-has-been-sentenced-to-dead-by-crucifixion

The lunatics are running the asylum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

"beheading"

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

The UN has to be the biggest load of bollox ever.

Another excuse for people to get paid pretending they are doing something, I'd say the amount of financial waste is immense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Islam has been taking over the UN for years, mate. Nothing new here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

One of the most backward nations on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If they had no oil, they would still be in the stone age, but still supporting terrorism and human rights abuses.

Saudi Arabia, the country that beheads people and then crucify the executed person so it can be put up in public to show the people, what scum the rulers are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

As long as the champagne and caviar flows at UN functions, does it really matter? The world's greatest back slapping organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The UN is a noble idea and its done a lot of good but its things like this that rightfully harm its reputation for impartiality and balance.
    Things like Rashida Manjoo's calling the UK the most sexist country she has visited (from SA which has a crazy high rape rate and ethnically Indian which has its well known issues in this area) highlight the idea that its all about political point scoring depending on the ideology of that particular commitee or individual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Left to it long enough, the UN would welcome ISIS as their newest member state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RobertKK wrote: »
    If they had no oil, they would still be in the stone age, but still supporting terrorism and human rights abuses.

Saudi Arabia, the country that beheads people and then crucify the executed person so it can be put up in public to show the people, what scum the rulers are.

They have oil and are in the stone age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Hey, stop criticising the UN. After appointing Tony Blair as Middle East Peace Envoy it has taken them YEARS to outdo themselves in the hypocrisy stakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

First they take our Europe, then they take our UN. NEXT THE WORLD… oops. Too late. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The UN is not relevant anymore. It has reverted to its predecessor, the league of nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I almost don't need to read the thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My understanding is that the UN is to reflect all cultures and mores. In spite of the Cold-War freeze, this has been dominated by the individalistic rights based Western states. Now with the full flowering of allowing alternative viewpoints of how a society is to be governed- the UN which had been used as an ultimate arbitor of discovered rights based on the charter, might now be used to highlight failings based on communal standards that prioritise group mores.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Manach wrote: »
    In spite of the Cold-War freeze, this has been dominated by the individalistic rights based Western states. Now with the full flowering of allowing alternative viewpoints of how a society is to be governed [...]
    I don't immediately see how useful an "alternative viewpoint" is if it involves chopping the heads off people who who develop metaphysical beliefs which which state authorities disagree. Can you clarify what you mean?

The local religious had similar powers here, but I don't hear too many people calling for the return of those times.

Or perhaps you believe that the power of life and death should be returned to the religions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Saipanne wrote: »
    Islam has been taking over the UN for years, mate. Nothing new here.

But what about the chambers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ah lads they are just a tad conservative, nothing at all at all to do with their religion....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As with so many of these states, the sooner the oil runs out and these cúnts are left to the mercy of the desert sands, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Considering that this happened in Qitif, it has to do with Sunni versus Shia problems.

This is the first time that i have ever heard of them using crucification !

My understanding is that the UN is to reflect all cultures and mores. In spite of the Cold-War freeze, this has been dominated by the individalistic rights based Western states. Now with the full flowering of allowing alternative viewpoints of how a society is to be governed- the UN which had been used as an ultimate arbitor of discovered rights based on the charter, might now be used to highlight failings based on communal standards that prioritise group mores.

Read that 3 times, and.........nope, still cannot make head nor tail of it sorry. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Left to it long enough, the UN would welcome ISIS as their newest member state.

Well considering that Saudi Arabia are among those funding ISIS then that's not much of a stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

I hear they're making the caliph a goodwill ambassador next.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

These lunatics are going to behead and crucify a 22 year old today for encouraging pro democracy protests.
    Saudi Arabia, which was just admitted to the UN’s Human Rights Council days ago, will imminently behead and then crucify Ali Mohammed al-Nimr — a young man who encouraged pro-democracy demonstrations during the Arab Spring in 2012, when he was just 17 years old. In protest, the hacktivist collective Anonymous apparently shut down a number of Saudi government websites yesterday. Activists subsequently took to Twitter using the hashtag #OpNimr to oppose Saudi Arabia’s execution of al-Nimr.

Hacktivists aren’t the only ones in Al-Nimr’s corner: other figures to voice support include heads of state and celebrities like comedian Bill Maher, who last week tweeted his support for al-Nimr. Both France’s president and its prime minister have called on Saudi Arabia to abandon the execution. The UK’s newly-minted opposition leader, Jeremy Corbyn, wrote a scathing letter to prime minister David Cameron demanding that he call on Saudi Arabia to “commute the unjust and horrific sentence”.

http://usuncut.com/world/today-saudi-arabia-will-crucify-teenager-protesting-government/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

Because no one can unite nations like the Saudis can

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Because no one can unite nations like the Saudis can

actual slaves are being used to build the 2022 world cup, i don't think anyone's going to give much of a **** about saudis on a human rights commission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I'm tired this morning, I actually read that as Saudi will be beheading the UN Human a Rights Panel. I thought "Ah ok"

Martial9 wrote: »
    These lunatics are going to behead and crucify a 22 year old today for encouraging pro democracy protests.

http://usuncut.com/world/today-saudi-arabia-will-crucify-teenager-protesting-government/

Long as the oil keeps flowing, and they keep buying arms off us, the west has no problem at all with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

UN..... You just keep on UNing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I'm tired this morning, I actually read that as Saudi will be beheading the UN Human a Rights Panel. I thought "Ah ok"

I read it the same way and I still wasn't surprised - that really says all you need to about Saudi Arabia and the type of disgusting shít they routinely pull!

I read it the same way and I still wasn't surprised - that really says all you need to about Saudi Arabia and the type of disgusting shít they routinely pull!

They're actually planning on beheading and crucifying that poor kid. It's disgusting.

Long as the oil keeps flowing, and they keep buying arms off us, the west has no problem at all with this.

The scary thing is, that if the Saud family goes then what will replace them could be an awful lot worse. The whole region is a mess and will be for at least our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Overheal wrote: »
    I almost don't need to read the thread.

Nobody does, but isn't it nice, once in a while, for a thread that involves spluttering outrage in AH that EVERYBODY can agree on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Great thread title - love the beheading

Its a joke to be honest and how anyone in the UN can think otherwise is beyond my comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

lolwut. Someone's still butthurt about Ireland abandoning Dev & McQuaid's vision for this country. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Martial9 wrote: »
    UN Watch, an independent campaigning NGO, revealed Mr Trad, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador at the UN in Geneva, was elected as chair of a panel of independent experts on the UN Human Rights Council.

As head of a five-strong group of diplomats, the influential role would give Mr Trad the power to select applicants from around the world for scores of expert roles in countries where the UN has a mandate on human rights.

Such experts are often described as the "crown jewels" of the HRC, according to UN Watch, which has obtained official UN documents, dated 17 September, confirming the appointment.
    UN Watch executive director Hillel Neuer said the appointment, made in June but unreported until now, may have been a consolation prize for the Saudis after they withdrew their bid to head the 47-nation council following international condemnation of the kingdom’s human rights record.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/anger-after-saudi-arabia-chosen-to-head-key-un-human-rights-panel-10509716.html

UN = joke.
    It has been that way for a long time.
    Remember how they abandoned the people in Rwanda, Srebrenica.
    Also check out how Kofi Annan's son made money.
    strelok wrote: »
    actual slaves are being used to build the 2022 world cup, i don't think anyone's going to give much of a **** about saudis on a human rights commission

Ehh that would be a different sh**hole.

Qatar is not Saudi Arabia.
    They do have some stuff in common though like autocratic inbred ruling elites, intolerance of minorities, reliance on foreign labour for nearly everything, funding extremist organisations, not taking in fellow Arab refugees, etc.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lolwut. Someone's still butthurt about Ireland abandoning Dev & McQuaid's vision for this country. :pac:

You understood that post?

Hail to thee, O Chosen One.

• Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

This is just intolerance of other cultures. Thankfully, the UN people are a more cosmopolitan bunch than the closed minded iconoclasts of this corner of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Datallus wrote: »
    This is just intolerance of other cultures. Thankfully, the UN people are a more cosmopolitan bunch than the closed minded iconoclasts of this corner of the world!

I assume you are trolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

very shnakey title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lol at people bemoaning the UN. Just a few months ago Ireland lowered its state flags to half mast in honor of their scumbag king who died, and hardly anyone batted an eyelid.

Imagine that... a so called republic lowering its flags to pay respect to an absolute dictatorial monarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Source
    Saudi Arabia protested the inclusion of gay rights in the United Nations’ new agenda for global development, saying on Sunday that it runs “counter to Islamic law.”

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir told a U.N. summit of world leaders that "mentioning sex in the text, to us, means exactly male and female. Mentioning family means consisting of a married man and woman," and asserted the country’s right to disregard portions of the agenda that mandate any “deviations” from it, according to the Associated Press.

An unsurprising stance from them but given the time and all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As with so many of these states, the sooner the oil runs out and these cúnts are left to the mercy of the desert sands, the better.
    When the oil runs out, we'll either be reliant on nuclear power, or nuke each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nodin wrote: »
    You understood that post?

Hail to thee, O Chosen One.

Well, going by previous form, it's unlikely he's going to come back to elaborate on it. After all, this is the guy who thinks that bringing up the abuses of the RCC is "trite" and the product of some anti-Catholic agenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Might as well hand it to ISIS after these nuts. What type of egotistical maniacs give their own name to a country. I know FG want this state to be called the "Republic of Michael Collins" but that's different.

What I find worse is how much the west kisses their backsides.

Extremist islamic group called ISIS hounded and bombed over beheadings.

Extremist islamic nation state Saudi Arabia lauded as important allies, nominated head of UN rights panel amidst beheadings.

I mean what the actual f**k like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

They are terrified of any sign of dissent or opposition as they know once the oil is gone, they are screwed. They've pissed off most of their neighbours, and they do not live in a good neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Hope your right but unfortunately, think they will have taken over Europe long before then.
    Hundreds of thousands of migrants coming from muslim north africa and the middle east from Mauritania to Syria.
    Saudi openly funding the building of hundreds of mosques to radicalise them all and future generations.
    Islam is setting up to achieve what it failed to do a thousand years ago, the take over of Europe.

Anyone who says boo about it will be targeted by the liberals.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

323 wrote: »

Anyone who says boo about it will be targeted by the liberals.

And it's all the more distasteful because the weakness of our society made us soft and ripe for conquest.

The experts on human rights are going to give a 74 year old British man 350 lashes for the heinous crime of making and having grog in his possession. I believe the lashes are more symbolic and used to humiliate rather than inflict pain, but still. How do these headbangers head up a UN panel on human rights?
    The family of a British pensioner facing 350 lashes in Saudi Arabia are pleading with the UK Government to intervene because they fear the punishment could kill him.

Karl Andree, 74, was sentenced to 12 months in jail by a Sharia court after police found home-made wine in the boot of his car in Jeddah last year.

Alcohol is banned under Islamic law in Saudi Arabia where Mr Andree has lived for the past 25 years.

Mr Andree has now served his sentence but has been held in jail for a further two months - and now faces a public flogging.

But his children Hugh, 46, Kirsten, 45, and Simon, 33, fear the grandfather-of-seven will not survive the punishment as he suffers from asthma and is frail after surviving cancer three times.

The oil executive's youngest son Simon told Sky News his father is being held in a windowless room.

"He's an old, frail man," he said.

"The lashings will kill him. He will keel over and have a heart attack.

"We want him home and the Government needs to intervene.

"Our mum Verity has Alzheimer's and is deteriorating and he needs to see her."

Mr Andree's daughter Kirsten told Sky News the family feels helpless and the plea is "our last resort".

She said: "He's holding up reasonably well considering, but to be honest, at 74 - he's survived cancer three times, he's got asthma - he's not a well man.

"I'm amazed he's done this well and made it this far. Every day I just feel like he needs to get out of there now."

The Foreign Office confirmed it has raised Mr Andree's case with the Saudis.

"Our embassy staff are continuing to assist Mr Andree, including regular visits to check on his welfare, and frequent contact with his lawyer and family," a spokesman told Sky News.

"Ministers and senior officials have raised Mr Andree's case with the Saudi Government and we are actively seeking his release as soon as possible."

Mr Andree is being held in Jeddah's Briman Prison, which has a reputation for torture and overcrowded cells, The Sun reported.

Last month, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn called for Mr Cameron to intervene to try to save the life of a Saudi teenager who is due to be beheaded.

Ali Mohammed al Nimr was reportedly sentenced to death for his part in anti-government protests, including breaking allegiance to the king and rioting.

He was 17 when he allegedly committed the crimes.

http://news.sky.com/story/1568417/british-man-faces-350-lashes-in-saudi-arabia

• Advertisement
Advertisement