Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many/most Irish companies can't answer the phone without screwing it up

Options
  • 21-09-2015 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Many companies use a voice server / voicemail to take calls during out of office periods. Unfortunately, few of them bother to check the end-user experience. On about 50% of calls to Irish numbers, after the office has closed, chances are you reach a Cisco or other messaging system default message - followed by voicemailbox full or some other stupid issue.

Nobody bothers to check. Ejit performance.

The minimum one would expect is "Welcome to XYZ. Our offices are open from 08:00 to 20:00 Mondays to Fridays." ending perhaps by a "have a nice day" type message ending.

And ideally including "Please call again between these hours" or

"If this call relates to an emergency, please call nnnnnnn or press 1 (and / or) please leave a message after the tone and we will contact you again when we re-open"

If a company does business in other markets with different default languages, the greeting should be repeated in the other languages, or where there is a caller ID present, using the default language of the caller ID.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KidMeNotA1

Such thoughtlessness does not deserve your business. Search for another company. This happens all the time, or it is 'this is xxx (illegible), or the speak at 99 m.p.h. - a common Irish failing. They never seem to test their own recordings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

and this is based on what research?????

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KidMeNotA1

My comments are based on my own long experience of doing business (& Living) in many countries. We Irish are particularly bad in this respect, although the trend of automated answering is infuriating also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I usually call businesses when they're open.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

I usually call businesses when they're open.

And a lot of times you still get a voicemail during opening hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I find Sumup particulary bad in this respect and they're not an Irish company. Until recently, the contact number was not made available. Then they made it available when asked via facebook, then made it available but only when logged into an account. Call them....wait for 10 minutes and the line goes dead. To be fair, the last two times I called, I got through quickly. Don't get me started on their email response time :mad:

Advertisement