Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Cornell - Higher Truth

Options
  • 21-09-2015 7:30pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else get it? it's a lot more mellow and laided back than I expected but there are some lovely songs on it, perfect chill out album, superb vocals as usual.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not too sure what to make of it. I've only listened to it twice. It's a bit too pop and "love song" for my liking, but it's not bad. I'd still go and see him live if he comes back to Ireland.
    I still prefer his first album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Had a couple of listens, not bad.
    Was expecting a few heavier tracks but I suppose given the popularity of songbook and the acoustic tour I presume he has a similar style tour in mind.

As usual the vocals are fantastic , and the songs well written but its no Euphoria...

He did say that the acoustic tour influenced how this album was recorded, but not enough alternative sounding stuff... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

On first listen I thought it was just ok, and I say that as someone who isn't at all opposed to Cornell doing slower or acoustic stuff between his rock band stints - I liked 'Carry On', and Euphoria Morning (sorry - 'Mourning!') is a masterpiece.

However, it's really grown on me with repeated listens over the last week. The last 3 tracks are weak points for me, but I love 'Higher Truth', 'Circling', 'Worried Moon' and 'Our Time in the Universe'. Plenty of other strong tracks on there too. As always, his voice is what drives the whole album but his lyrics are very very good too - he's really proved himself as a superb lyricist over the last few years.

No doubt he's a talented man. I suppose I wanted something a little more melancholic sounding, but it's still not a bad album at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I think it gets better with every listen, Before We Disappear and Dead Wishes are the stand out tracks.

No it's not as good as Euphoria, but it's nearly impossible have every album you release to be of that quality, it's a very strong latter career release.

I like how he does what he likes with his solo stuff, I admire him for doing that album with Timbaland, going out of his comfort zone and trying something completely different instead of doing something that might have sounded generic and phoned in.

Belfast & Dublin shows announced for his HT tour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ashdabash88

anyone get to go to these gigs? Couldn't get tickets :(

I went to the Belfast gig. Was amazing. Cornell's voice is something else in a small and acoustic environment like that, and no amount of Youtube watching will replicate it. Dragged my wife along (who doesn't really listen to him or know his stuff) and a few times she was clearly amazed when Cornell hit one of those notes which most humans would struggle to reach.

On the same note, Higher Truth as an album has grown on me a lot. I liked it at the start and love it now - one of those albums which is very easy to listen to on repeat often.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Can't believe it's 9 months since it came out, I still put it on fairly regularly, Worried Moon is a track I overlooked initially it's my favourite now, I like Through The Window too even though it leaves with a strange mental image of Cornell gawking through the window of a house watching someone crying.

Picked up Scream for a few quid on Amazon for a laugh.....it's not that bad :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Can't believe it's 9 months since it came out, I still put it on fairly regularly, Worried Moon is a track I overlooked initially it's my favourite now, I like Through The Window too even though it leaves with a strange mental image of Cornell gawking through the window of a house watching someone crying.

Picked up Scream for a few quid on Amazon for a laugh.....it's not that bad :o

The Scream tracks were actually fairly decent when performed by a live band instead of all the electronic equipment, his show a few years back was great!

Advertisement