Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage computer

Options
  • 21-09-2015 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

anyone know how to get an old computer appraised to see if it has any value as a collectable or is it for the skip? The make and model is a Monroe OC-8820. I think its from 1982 or 1983.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

the_syco wrote: »
    Does it work?

Yes, it appears to work

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

The easiest way is to auction it on Ebay, with a starting price of 1€, but enter a Reserve price of 1000€ for example.
    This way you will see how much people are willing to pay for it, and how many are interested.
    For best results, promote your ad everywhere (email, facebook, forums, etc).
    After the auction ends, you can decide what you want to do with it. Reserve price allows you not to sell it if the highest bid is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Specs here:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1078

There's a vintage computing section on eBay, but nothing from Monroe.

If suggest sticking it up on eBay with a high reserve and a long sell time to see if there's any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

any back story how you acquired it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Skerries wrote: »
    any back story how you acquired it?

clearing out old junk in work and saved it from the skip. Said I would check here to see if its worth saving. I presume it was used by our company back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

clearing out old junk in work and saved it from the skip. Said I would check here to see if its worth saving. I presume it was used by our company back in the day

Came across this from 2006.
    http://marc.info/?l=classiccmp&m=116184104512806
    Nor sure how much the value would have gone up since then, but the poster reckons $50-100 dollars at the time would have been reasonable and the original ask of €600 was outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

How much would you take for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

IIRC Monroe was a popular machine used by a lot of Irish credit unions back in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Adam Walsh

Hey id be interested in buying it if you still have it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement