Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on adding a motion sensor to an existing system.

Options
  • 21-09-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I have a basic wired alarm with shock sensors and contacts and a HKC panel. I've been thinking recently (after a friend got burgled) that I'd like a PIR based motion detector or two incorporated into the existing system. Is this possible? I'm in a ground floor 2 bed apartment. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its possible.
    Ideally you would have 2 free zones on the panel to add them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

KoolKid wrote: »
    Its possible.
    Ideally you would have 2 free zones on the panel to add them to.

Thanks, how can I check if I have this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do you have engineer access to the system?
    You can also open the panel and check if there are any spare inputs, but you will need engineer code to configure those zones anyway.

Do you have engineer access to the system?
    You can also open the panel and check if there are any spare inputs, but you will need engineer code to configure those zones anyway.

Thanks. Yes I have engineer access. Can you point me in the right direction please? Cheers.

You can check through the menu so.
    What panel have you got?

• Advertisement

It's a HKC Securealarm...I'm at work so can't say the exact model. It's a 6 or 7 year old model with no frills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

The fact your in a ground floor apartment might make it extremely difficult to run two new wires from the panel to the P.I.R.s. Can you mount them close to an existing door contact and wire it in series I wonder

If you enter engineer and goto zone names and zone types you will see if they are all used.
    It's not recommended to wire PiRs in series with any other devices. If there are spare cores you could share a cable though.

If you enter engineer and goto zone names and zone types you will see if they are all used.
    It's not recommended to wire PiRs in series with any other devices. If there are spare cores you could share a cable though.

Did this and there are 12 zones listed. I'm only using 3 of them.

There are probably only 8 zones on board. If you are only using 3 then you have plenty of options to add a few PiRs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement