Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Reserves info

Options
  • 21-09-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am gutted I couldn't apply for the Irish defence forces due to age restriction. Can anyone tell me how the reserves works. Is it just training or can you gain a career from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 .300 WinMag

I am gutted I couldn't apply for the Irish defence forces due to age restriction. Can anyone tell me how the reserves works. Is it just training or can you gain a career from it.

Alan, generally the reserves gives you weekly training in addition to time away on camp and so forth, it is designed to allow you to have your civilian job and still serve your country. I don't think it would be a stand alone career, but double check with the RDF website, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Does anybody have any idea on the duration you have to stay in the RDF for ? I was thinking about applying, but I'm in my final year of college and intend on traviling in may/june.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

If you're going to travel, ,maybe best leave it til next year so unless youre turning 35 anytime soon? if you're away you would possible miss out o a lot of training. its a short contract, 3 years, at end of each 3 year period, provided you meet the criteria you can extend that by another 3 years.

it is not a full time career - max you're expected to provide is 1 - 2 weeks full time training, a 2 hour training night once a week, and a small number of voluntary hrs 8 - 12 in total, per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Morpheus wrote: »
    If you're going to travel, ,maybe best leave it til next year so unless youre turning 35 anytime soon? if you're away you would possible miss out o a lot of training. its a short contract, 3 years, at end of each 3 year period, provided you meet the criteria you can extend that by another 3 years.

it is not a full time career - max you're expected to provide is 1 - 2 weeks full time training, a 2 hour training night once a week, and a small number of voluntary hrs 8 - 12 in total, per year.

That's perfect thanks.

It sounds like something that would be best left till I come back to Ireland.

Advertisement