Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the safest location to live in Dublin 7 ?

Options
  • 21-09-2015 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Where is the safest location to live in Dublin 7 ? Where should I avoid ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dublin 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Personally, Stoneybatter and Smithfield are the nicest parts of D7. Rents have gone way up though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

a523504 wrote: »
    Where is the safest location to live in Dublin 7 ? Where should I avoid ?

What do you want to be safe from?
    Noise? Seeing poverty? Litter? KIds hanging around?

If you fear for your bodily safety, anywhere in Dublin 7 is fine. It's not the Gaza strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I always find these threads funny, some people feel intimidated by teenage girls in pyjamas. Everywhere in Dublin 7 and the rest of Dublin is 100% safe. violent assault is extremely rare in Ireland and such crimes are almost exclusively confined to inter-gang rivalry. Living close to poor people does not detract from your personal safety no matter what TV3 and the Daily Star tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I've lived in various parts of D7 over the last few years. It's absolutely grand. Still live there now.

The Centra in Stoneybatter tends to have a few drunks/otherwise inebriated souls hanging around outside at any given hour of the day, but they're usually too out of it to be of any danger to anyone except themselves. Don't provoke them and they won't provoke you.

There are a few junkie couples who try and scam you down near the luas line walking from Benburb St to Smithfield. She stops you and asks if you have two fifty cents for a euro and when you go to look in your bag, yer man comes up behind you and tries to nick your purse. You can generally spot them a mile away. I walk everywhere, and would walk home no bother until 10/11pm at night and touch wood, have never encountered any hassle aside from a few drunks shouting stuff at me (earphones in, no problem).

If you feel threatened somewhere like Smithfield or Stoneybatter, you'd have to be very un-streetwise. There are unsavoury characters everywhere in Dublin, like any other city, you just learn to avoid/ignore them if they bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

The 'Viking area' off Manor Place is generally a lovely area to live in. The whole Stoneybatter/Smithfield area is somewhat blighted by illegal dumping, but that's purely cosmetic. You do see a fair few skangers going up and down Manor street and hanging around outside the shops, but none of them have ever really bothered or endangered me apart from the occasional one who's off his face and tearing along the footpath on a bicycle! You see more feral kids / drunks / junkies around Smithfield, but they seem relatively harmless too. I fairly regularly walk through there and never had any real hassle. I'd probably avoid anywhere that's right beside an entrance to O'Devaney Gardens. D7 may not be the Gaza Strip, but O'Devaney Gardens sure looks like a war-ravaged area and even driving through it would leave you a bit uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

The 'Viking area' off Manor Place is generally a lovely area to live in. The whole Stoneybatter/Smithfield area is somewhat blighted by illegal dumping, but that's purely cosmetic. You do see a fair few skangers going up and down Manor street and hanging around outside the shops, but none of them have ever really bothered or endangered me apart from the occasional one who's off his face and tearing along the footpath on a bicycle! You see more feral kids / drunks / junkies around Smithfield, but they seem relatively harmless too. I fairly regularly walk through there and never had any real hassle. I'd probably avoid anywhere that's right beside an entrance to O'Devaney Gardens. D7 may not be the Gaza Strip, but O'Devaney Gardens sure looks like a war-ravaged area and even driving through it would leave you a bit uneasy.

Is O'Devaney Gardens not completely empty now? Thought the residents were moved out a good few years back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Is O'Devaney Gardens not completely empty now? Thought the residents were moved out a good few years back now.

I don't know - the place is in a terrible state but I don't know if there are still residents in any of the blocks. There are certainly people hanging around the area though, whether they live there or not.

Advertisement