Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My alarm quotes... advice

Options
  • 21-09-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've had a couple of quotes for alarm systems. Both have recommended HKC, I suppose for obvious reasons.

I'm looking for an Alarm system and CCTV.

I have the following perimeter set up.

House (pitched roof, no flat roofs.

Downstairs:
    Windows 11
    7 with a single opening each, 2 with four openings each and 2 with two openings (19 openings in total)

Doors 3
    1 at the front and 2 at the back

Should I get the upstairs alarmed?

I've been told that a wireless system (more expensive) would be better for my property than a wired system.

For the windows with 4 openings, one installer recommended putting wireless sensors on 2 of the openings and running a wire from these to two contact sensors he would place on the other openings. Any thoughts on that?

I despise the bulky HKC Wireless box but I've been told I can have a wireless keypad beside the door and that ugly box in my utility room.

I've also been advised to get a GSM dialler with sim.

I want monitoring, I'm being quoted around €15 per month for that. Good? Bad?

Maintenance quote is around 230-290 per year.

I also want external CCTV (not internal) but really good cameras that will pick up faces, even at night. Unfortunately I don't think my internet upload speed is good enough for IP cameras, so what would be good in my circumstances? Also, I'll be getting 4 cameras and have been quoted for a 4-channel DVR. Should I ask for an 8 channel in case I want to add more cameras later?

I'd like to have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms linked into the alarm. Is that easy enough to get done? Will it cost me much more?

So you may have questions for me and I'll certainly have more questions later. :)

It would have been good to have understood my options more before getting quotes but on talking to the installers and done some more research, I now know more about what's available but thought I'd come here for more info before going back to them with more questions and asking for the quotes to be modified.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The brands we use would be Siemens, GSD and Risco. I don't recommend HKC due to their app charges. All others give free notifications etc. Its all covered in the sticky. If your house is not wired then wireless is the way to go.
    All of the above systems are hybrid, so if some wiring is possible that can save you a good few bob.
    For upstairs look only at whats accessible.
    CO2 ,Smoke & Heat detectors can be added to all systems. The price would depend on whether they can be wired or not.
    The monitoring price is good the service price is not. Look for a combined price covering all call outs & labour.
    For CCTV external IP is the way to go also 2 or 3 MP with goo IRs will give you good external quality. Facial recognition is not guaranteed unless you go up the range a fair bit.
    If your installing 4 cameras go for an 8 way machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

Also tying in some security lights outside to your alarm system is a good idea , so if your system activates it will bring on your outside lights . I would also agree to get one price for your maintenance & monitoring
    A keypad in your bedroom is also another good idea

Advertisement