Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ land sale and restructuring [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The recent mail to staff from DG Dee Forbes in relation to the sale of land on the Campus
    Update Message from Dee Forbes - RTÉ Director General

Dear all,

As you know, RTÉ has been giving serious consideration to the best options for the re-development of the Donnybrook campus for some time. When I outlined the financial pressures facing the organisation before Christmas, I also mentioned that I would update you on developments regarding the possible sale of land on the site when I was in a position to do so.

Following today’s Board meeting I can now inform you that RTÉ has taken the decision to sell a portion of underutilised land on our Donnybrook site, west of the Radio Centre. While the exact timings around the sales process and final details of the land to be sold are still being finalised and are commercially sensitive as you can appreciate, I am now pleased to confirm to you our intention to sell in the first half of 2017. Savills have been appointed to manage the sale, following a public procurement process.

Given the commercial sensitivities around the sales process I cannot at this stage give further details, but will of course do so in much more detail in due course.

As I made clear in meetings with you before Christmas, RTÉ’s financial position has been challenging for some time, with the result that we have had to curtail any significant investment in infrastructure, technology and other organisational changes. This is no longer sustainable. A series of independent reports have also indicated that the sale of underutilised land on our Donnybrook site represents a valuable source of much-needed funding for investment.

While the sale of this underutilised land will not solve all our financial challenges, it will provide us with means to reshape and reinvest in the organisation and, together with the 5-year strategy that is in development, will enable us to continue to meet the changing needs of audiences.

Over the coming weeks you will become aware of a range a processes and discussions to enable the sale. We are currently in discussions with the RTÉ Sports & Social Club about its involvement in a new facility at the Nutley end of the campus, a development we shared with you last October. Two information sessions for members will take place next week.

We have already successfully applied for planning permission to relocate the Wee Care childcare facility on-site to Montrose House and to develop a new site entrance from the Stillorgan Road (R138). In the longer term, this new access junction will become the main vehicular and pedestrian point of access to the RTÉ campus, replacing the existing entrance on Nutley Lane which will alleviate congestion at the Nutley Lane/Stillorgan Road junction and enhance traffic safety. In the next few weeks we will also lodge a planning application to move the Fair City lot to a new location onsite.

As I said, once we are in a position to share more details with you we will do so. We will also arrange for more detailed briefings which will provide you with an opportunity to ask questions and better understand this important decision for the future of RTÉ.

Thank you
    Dee

RTÉ served 6 months notice on the Club on 25 September 2016 seeking vacant possession of the Club’s premises to facilitate a land disposal by RTÉ in 2017.
    Joint Statement – RTÉ and RTÉ Sports & Social Club

Published: December 19, 2016

As already notified to members RTÉ served 6 months notice on the Club on 25 September 2016 seeking vacant possession of the Club’s premises to facilitate a land disposal by RTÉ in 2017. The Club took legal advice and formally responded to RTÉ setting out its understanding of its legal rights.

RTÉ and the Club are now engaged in a mediation process in which we are seeking to resolve the issue. In the process we are looking at where and how the Club can be relocated within the overall Donnybrook site. At the end of the process, if members agree to such a relocation of the Club, RTÉ will ensure continuity of access to facilities for members when the club moves from the current location to the new one.

Information meetings will be held for members towards the end of January, during which, RTÉ’s proposals will be explained in detail. Proposal details will be circulated in advance of the meetings.

In accordance with the Club’s Constitution the members will decide whether or not to accept the proposal at a meeting duly convened under the Constitution.
    Details of the meeting dates and times are below & will be posted on the Notice Board in mid January.

RTE Sports and Social Club - Meetings 1st & 5th February 2017

Letter sent to Members...

Dear Member,

Following on from the December 2016 joint statement (posted to the RTÉSports and Social Club notice board, the RTÉ Sports and Social Club website and theRTÉ intranet site), the Committee would like to update members on progress to date.

The RTE Sports and Social Club and RTÉ are still engaged in a mediation process.

Both parties are working towards the hosting of information meetings for all members of the Club in the RTÉ Sports and Social Club on:
    · 1 February 2017 at 19:00 (Wednesday)
    · 5 February 2017 at 16:00 (Sunday)

At the meeting, RTÉ will present their proposal to members. Following the RTÉ presentation the Committee will have a closed meeting for feedback and discussion with members.

At a later date the members will vote on the proposal at a meeting duly convened under the Club Constitution.

As per the Club Constitution, the formal communication of information is through the notice board in the RTÉ Sports and Social Club. It is important that Club members keep themselves informed about events by referencing notices which will appear on this notice board.

However, as a matter of courtesy, the Committee will also communicate appropriate information to the members via the RTÉ Sports and Social Club website, RTÉ Hub (RTÉ intranet site), Superannuation communiqués, email addresses (where provided).

The Club has developed a mobile application for Apple or Android phones to assist with member communications. We urge you to download the mobile application and we have attached details and instructions to assist with this software on the Club website (http://www.rteclub.eu).

The Committee urges you to attend these hugely important information meetings in order to ensure that you are fully informed.

Best Wishes,

RTÉ Sports And Social Club Committee.
    Details of the meeting dates and times 1 February 2017 at 19:00 (Wednesday) · 5 February 2017 at 16:00 (Sunday)

early Jan
    RTÉ Sports and Social Club - Information..

As already notified to members RTÉ served 6 months notice on the Club on 25 September 2016 seeking vacant possession of the Club’s premises to facilitate a land disposal by RTÉ in 2017. The Club took legal advice and formally responded to RTÉ setting out its understanding of its legal rights.

RTÉ and the Club are now engaged in a mediation process in which we are seeking to resolve the issue. In the process we are looking at where and how the Club can be relocated within the overall Donnybrook site. At the end of the process, if members agree to such a relocation of the Club, RTÉ will ensure continuity of access to facilities for members when the club moves from the current location to the new one.

Information meetings will be held for members towards the end of January, during which, RTÉ’s proposals will be explained in detail. Proposal details will be circulated in advance of the meetings.

In accordance with the Club’s Constitution the members will decide whether or not to accept the proposal at a meeting duly convened under the Constitution.

Details of the meeting dates and times will be posted on the Notice Board in mid January.

From Dee Forbes message to staff last week
    Over the coming weeks you will become aware of a range a processes and discussions to enable the sale. We are currently in discussions with the RTÉ Sports & Social Club about its involvement in a new facility at the Nutley end of the campus, a development we shared with you last October. Two information sessions for members will take place next week.

First two information sessions later today
    Joint update from RTÉ and the RTÉ Sports and Social Club ...

Published: January 30, 2017

As members will be aware, RTÉ and the RTE Sports and Social Club are currently engaged in mediation regarding an alternate location for the club towards the Nutley end of the site.

Following last week’s staff update from RTÉ’s Director-General, Dee Forbes confirming RTÉ’s decision to sell a portion of under utilised land on our Donnybrook site, west of the Radio Centre and our recent email and notice board update to RTÉ Club members, we would like to remind all members that both parties have scheduled three information sessions for this week upstairs in the bar area.

These sessions will take place as follows:
    •Wednesday 1st February at 13.00
    •Wednesday 1st February at 19.00
    •Sunday 5th February at 16:00

Having worked with the Club Committee (with the assistance of a mediator) over the past few months to develop options for future of the Club, at each information session, RTÉ will present a proposal for alternative sports and social facilities to members. After the presentation the RTÉ Club Committee will hold a closed meeting for feedback and discussion with its members.

At a later date members will vote on the RTÉ proposal at a meeting convened as per the Club Constitution.

We would encourage all members to attend one of these sessions. We look forward to seeing you there and to hearing your views.

Plans relating to the RTÉ proposal are currently available for inspection on the Club's notice board.

RTÉ land at Dublin headquarters goes on market for €75m
    The land has now been put on the market with a guide price of €75m.

Property consultants Savills, who are handling the sale, described the land as being in one of the city's most prestigious and high value residential locations.

It said what it termed 'Project Montrose' comprises 8.64 acres of land - part of the existing Montrose complex which consists of approximately 32.12 acres.

The RTÉ Sports & Social Club voted in favour of relocating its premises to another location on campus last Wed
    The way was effectively cleared last week for the long-anticipated disposal of the Montrose lands.

The final piece of the jigsaw came at a meeting of RTÉ's Sports and Social Club, where members voted in favour of a plan to relocate the club's premises to RTÉ's planned new facilities on the south-east of its campus.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/lossmaking-rt-to-cut-300-jobs-and-could-raise-75m-from-prime-d4-site-35554069.html

2017_03_22_bus_29664674_I1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Usual 'big shots' will go untouched no doubt

Also why waste this prime land on 20 'high end' houses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Houses will cost €1.5 million and 2 bed apartments €480-600,000 according to Morning Ireland so that'll keep the riff raff out.

Still no guarantee the money raised will be used for infrastructure solely, more likely it'll be used to plug the hole in finances.

Until the top dogs there start looking at serious pay cuts and until there's a major shake up with the way the places is run, both on a personnel and facilities basis it's just a stop gap for a few years. Literally RTE selling off the family silver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Dee Forbes' interview with Sean O'Rourke this morning was a breath of fresh air. However, we have heard it all before under various guises, hopefully, she will have the courage of her convictions, she is not constrained by internal baggage, union membership or buddy loyalty. Unlike the recent three previous DGs, internal appointments from within RTE, she will not be under the same constraints regarding union dictat etc. The recent previous incumbents were part of the 'club' and were eagar to maintain the status quo. Several so called re-organisations took place over the years, millions paid out in redundancy payments and early retirement incentive schemes etc. but in many instances, ex staff returned in the style of self employed contractors, part of the nod and wink culture that existed within RTE over the years. Hopefully, at this stage, RTE will focus on their remit as public service broadcaster with their loyalty and energy directed towards the public rather than a union based organisation being run to satisfy the needs of staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Maidhci wrote: »
    Dee Forbes' interview with Sean O'Rourke this morning was a breath of fresh air..........

I did not listen to the interview so I can't comment directly however....this quote was enough to seriously annoy me....
    "She said RTÉ has asked for an increase in the licence fee and that is "ongoing". She added that she believes the licence fee is incredible value for money and it should be double its current fee."
    taken from --- http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0321/861572-rte-land-sale/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I didn't hear the interview,but her comments about the licence fee is another example of a smug person in a high position being completely unattached from ordinary people.We all should be getting rebates of the current fee as a reward for having to put up with some of the crap that passes for entertainment on RTE at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I did not listen to the interview so I can't comment directly however....this quote was enough to seriously annoy me....
    "She said RTÉ has asked for an increase in the licence fee and that is "ongoing". She added that she believes the licence fee is incredible value for money and it should be double its current fee."

I'm sick of this mentality

Sure spend money like it's going out of fashion and when the well runs dry, Joe public will cough up

Sorry Forbes but I am not a cash cow. Get your house and order and don't run to me with the poor box when times are hard

Maybe you should run for politics because that's the sort of incompetent attitude towards money right there, that will propel you to political stardom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wow

Talk about a head in the clouds. Typical self congratulatory small circle attitude.

Rehashed imports and Ryan Tubridy do not deliver value for money. Did this lady see the late late valentines horror show at all?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gas the way that Dee Forbes is effectively pronounced D4bes.

I see from the other thread that there was mediation, a couple of meetings and a vote just to move the sports club! :eek:

So (*cynical tone*) good luck with the cost cutting and chopping those heads when that starts :pac:

Project Montrose has it own website but access is restricted to those who register - http://projectmontrose.ie/

Big single page advert for the sale in today's Irish Times Business + Property supplement plus article - http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/rt%C3%A9-seeks-75m-for-8-64-acres-of-its-montrose-campus-1.3015155
    Mark Reynolds of Savills Ireland is to invite offers over €75 million for the land which is expected to be used for a development of 15 to 20 high value houses and up to 500 apartments.

The size of the land bank to be sold has been the subject of considerable speculation over the past year with some interested parties expecting the station to offload up to 15 acres of the 32.12 acre campus it has occupied since 1961.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have not listen to either interview (RTÉ and Today FM) but Dee Forbes put her foot in it.

Lets just forget about the cuts she is making (and she seems light on her plans) but take for example 2 other stories over the last few months.

1. RTÉ Young People's department and outsourcing. There was uproar but little detail in any publication as to how much is spent annually by RTÉ on Young People's Programming, a total of 8million in 2015, which had be cut from 2014. This means 2016 was most likely cut. RTÉ Management gave no real guarantee that they would keep funding at 8million or what ever it was in 2016 for 2017, by their own account RTÉ won't go back to producing children's programming until mid-2017 and then that will most likely be part of their 2018 budget, as programmes produced in 2017 but airing in 2018 only go on the books in 2018.
    2. RTÉ's payment of around 80,000 euro per year to RED C for 3 years to gauge RTÉ's 25 services. why? RTÉ have TAM IRELAND (TV research), JNLR (Radio research), a head of research in RTÉ and a dept, an information office, a feedback office, a complaints office and an Audience Council. What is the point of another research tool, when on top off all of the above they have social media, newspapers and other commentators talking about RTÉ. 80,000 could keep 3 junior members of staff in a job.

and then there is RTÉ2, again this goes back to Young Peoples but also those aged 15 to 35, RTÉ2 has no real news service, it produces about 1 hour of TV a week largely in the form of "Constructed Factual", repeats and more repeats. Sports are disappearing from the channel and its left with very little. Purely because of a bad schedule. A 4% share would be okay if RTE provide an alternative public service to RTÉ ONE but it is void of any PSB programming.

and back to public services, look RTÉ management shouldn't be announcing job cuts they aren't a private company nor a foreign factory creating employment in a small town that could if they liked pull out at anytime. RTÉ management are right to suggest there could be job loss but as management they should be determined to retain jobs, however if someone leaves or retires replacements are unlikely. By announce job losses RTÉ do not believe in growth and it will lead to far more job losses and far less money.

Dee Forbes has a hard job but she is just following the same old RTÉ management lines as before. Little will change and RTÉ will continue to complaining about Licence Fee avoiders, there is a reason they avoid paying and the Red C research should show that, however it will be reported that 90% of viewers trust RTÉ News!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭political analyst

Elmo wrote: »
    I have not listen to either interview (RTÉ and Today FM) but Dee Forbes put her foot in it.

Lets just forget about the cuts she is making (and she seems light on her plans) but take for example 2 other stories over the last few months.

1. RTÉ Young People's department and outsourcing. There was uproar but little detail in any publication as to how much is spent annually by RTÉ on Young People's Programming, a total of 8million in 2015, which had be cut from 2014. This means 2016 was most likely cut. RTÉ Management gave no real guarantee that they would keep funding at 8million or what ever it was in 2016 for 2017, by their own account RTÉ won't go back to producing children's programming until mid-2017 and then that will most likely be part of their 2018 budget, as programmes produced in 2017 but airing in 2018 only go on the books in 2018.
    2. RTÉ's payment of around 80,000 euro per year to RED C for 3 years to gauge RTÉ's 25 services. why? RTÉ have TAM IRELAND (TV research), JNLR (Radio research), a head of research in RTÉ and a dept, an information office, a feedback office, a complaints office and an Audience Council. What is the point of another research tool, when on top off all of the above they have social media, newspapers and other commentators talking about RTÉ. 80,000 could keep 3 junior members of staff in a job.

and then there is RTÉ2, again this goes back to Young Peoples but also those aged 15 to 35, RTÉ2 has no real news service, it produces about 1 hour of TV a week largely in the form of "Constructed Factual", repeats and more repeats. Sports are disappearing from the channel and its left with very little. Purely because of a bad schedule. A 4% share would be okay if RTE provide an alternative public service to RTÉ ONE but it is void of any PSB programming.

and back to public services, look RTÉ management shouldn't be announcing job cuts they aren't a private company nor a foreign factory creating employment in a small town that could if they liked pull out at anytime. RTÉ management are right to suggest there could be job loss but as management they should be determined to retain jobs, however if someone leaves or retires replacements are unlikely. By announce job losses RTÉ do not believe in growth and it will lead to far more job losses and far less money.

Dee Forbes has a hard job but she is just following the same old RTÉ management lines as before. Little will change and RTÉ will continue to complaining about Licence Fee avoiders, there is a reason they avoid paying and the Red C research should show that, however it will be reported that 90% of viewers trust RTÉ News!

If you have a TV set and are not paying the fee, you're an evader. In other words, you're breaking the law.

If you watch programmes via online catch-up or YouTube, vimeo or dailymotion.com and do not have a TV set, you're an avoider. In other words, you're not breaking the law.

PS: After all, there's tax evasion and there's tax avoidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭political analyst

I didn't hear the interview,but her comments about the licence fee is another example of a smug person in a high position being completely unattached from ordinary people.We all should be getting rebates of the current fee as a reward for having to put up with some of the crap that passes for entertainment on RTE at present.

Maybe that crap wouldn't be on RTÉ if it wasn't for licence-fee evasion.

Maidhci wrote: »
    Dee Forbes' interview with Sean O'Rourke this morning was a breath of fresh air. However, we have heard it all before under various guises, hopefully, she will have the courage of her convictions, she is not constrained by internal baggage, union membership or buddy loyalty. Unlike the recent three previous DGs, internal appointments from within RTE, she will not be under the same constraints regarding union dictat etc. The recent previous incumbents were part of the 'club' and were eagar to maintain the status quo. Several so called re-organisations took place over the years, millions paid out in redundancy payments and early retirement incentive schemes etc. but in many instances, ex staff returned in the style of self employed contractors, part of the nod and wink culture that existed within RTE over the years. Hopefully, at this stage, RTE will focus on their remit as public service broadcaster with their loyalty and energy directed towards the public rather than a union based organisation being run to satisfy the needs of staff.

Just listened to TodayFM heard none of this. Top 1% earners will be kept in check, nothing about what type of content is planned. And no guarantee that the top heavy management structure would change, indeed AFAIK she is adding a member to the executive board.

By the way when I say try to retain all employee those that service a purpose, those that do not either go or up skill to a different job.

If you have a TV set and are not paying the fee, you're an evader. In other words, you're breaking the law.

If you watch programmes via online catch-up or YouTube, vimeo or dailymotion.com and do not have a TV set, you're an avoider. In other words, you're not breaking the law.

PS: After all, there's tax evasion and there's tax avoidance.

I agree but remember in this case the avoiders are the little people so as RTÉ like to say its A loop hole!

Announced yesterday, News & Current Affairs, Radio, Television, Digital, the 4 big pillars of the organisation as Dee Forbes referred to them on the Sean O'Rourke Show will be restructured.

Radio, Television and Digital will become Content, Channels, Audience and Marketing. News & Current Affairs remains.
    At the station's TV studio 4 yesterday, staff packed in to hear about the grand new 'vision' for the station.

But most had already seen the headlines announcing 200-300 redundancies and heard Dee Forbes's lengthy interview with Sean O'Rourke on RTÉ Radio 1. Many were frustrated the news had been made public prior to meeting with staff.

Workers gathered around internal TVs throughout the campus, which beamed the meeting across screens for those who couldn't attend or fit in the studio.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/air-of-uncertainty-as-job-cuts-announced-but-staff-left-to-wonder-who-will-go-35557254.html

Restructuring

RTÉ director-general Dee Forbes has announced sweeping executive and structural changes at a meeting with staff this morning, as she signalled the broadcaster would be looking for up to 250 redundancies.

Jim Jennings, the managing director of RTÉ Radio, will become head of content as part of a restructuring of the RTÉ executive board, while chief technology officer Richard Waghorn has been appointed head of transformation.

A new head of channels, audiences and marketing will be appointed shortly and may come from the executive ranks of RTÉ Television, its largest division.

RTÉ will also appoint a new head of human resources, who will join the executive board as it goes through the process of reducing employee numbers.

The interim managing director of television, Dermot Horan, will leave the executive board as part of the reshuffle.

It is expected that staff at RTÉ Digital will be redeployed to other divisions as RTÉ becomes more digitally focused across each part of the organisation.

The 45-minute meeting, open to all staff, was attended by about 400 people in Studio 4, RTÉ’s biggest studio, where it films The Late Late Show.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rt%C3%A9-plans-up-to-250-job-losses-and-eyes-licence-fee-rise-1.3019908

The executive board increases from eight to nine members, currently

Dee Forbes: Director General
    Breda O'Keeffe: Chief Financial Officer
    Jim Jennings: MD RTÉ Radio
    John Williams: MD RTÉ News & Current Affairs
    Richard Waghorn: Chief Technology Officer
    Brian Dalton: MD Corporate Development
    Múirne Laffan: Chief Digital Officer
    Willie O'Reilly: Group Commercial Director
    Dermot Horan: interim MD Television

New executive board roles
    Head of Content
    Head of Channels, Audiences and Marketing
    Head of Operations and Production Services

Also the Minister for Communications is expected to soon announce amendments to the Broadcasting Act.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged a number of threads here - largely because I expect the same sort of replies in all three of them.

Also can people stop with the personal attacks on the RTE DG. It's not nice, and they are not here to defend themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe that crap wouldn't be on RTÉ if it wasn't for licence-fee evasion.

Let's hope they now follow through on the promise to appoint "enforcers" to clamp down on evaders.They can always make a reality show out of it like "Can't Pay,We'll Take It Away":)

The new restructured executive board is expected to be in place by October, before the voluntary redundancy plan is put into place.

The new ninth executive board position, Group Head of Human Resources, is expected to be announced soon and will be there as the redeployment and redundancy plans are developed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/adapt-or-die-time-for-rt%C3%A9-but-what-does-its-future-look-like-1.3022222

The next 5 year strategy, 2018-22, will be submitted to the BAI next Sept, according to Dee Forbes on the SOR programme, which will coincide with the newly restructured RTÉ.

Not mentioned anywhere that I could see was the future of Chief Digital Officer Múirne Laffan considering her area will disappear into new Content and Channels, Audiences and Marketing divisions. She attends the TV Connect Show next week together with Lucy Campbell, Marketing Director at RTE Digital.

Executive Board from next October?

Dee Forbes: Director General
    Breda O'Keeffe: Chief Financial Officer
    Jim Jennings: Head of Content
    John Williams: Head of RTÉ News & Current Affairs
    Richard Waghorn: Head of Transformation
    Brian Dalton: Head of Corporate Affairs
    Willie O'Reilly: Group Commercial Director
    ???: Group Head of Human Resources
    ???: Head of Channels, Audiences and Marketing
    ???: Head of Operations and Production Services

Múirne Laffan: Chief Digital Officer ???

The IBD structure, which has served us well, is no longer fit for the demands of a modern digital media organisation. Driven by technology and the vast array of services and content now easily available, audiences’ habits are changing fast, so we must change to meet them.

Editorial decision making and content will move to the heart of the organisation’s executive structure. The IBD structure will be replaced by multi platform, cross divisional teams, in content; news and current affairs; channels, audience and marketing; operations and production services; corporate affairs; human resources; finance; and commercial. To support and drive these and other changes, I have also created a transformation role at the executive.

Dee Forbes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No Director of Better?

Anyone explain the reason for merging RTÉ radio, television and digital and then having a head of content.

Radio is a different medium to TV.

Boards have a habit of demolishing people's threads at their will for no reason. It's discouraging , especially when you take the time to create a thread and all the effort you put into it. They did it to me recently, no contact, they just merged it and burred all my work. They decided it was better to make a 60 odd page into over a 100 odd thread burying a lot of useful information.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm not sure what that has to do, if at all, with this thread, and on that basis can I ask people not to reply to the above post

Elmo wrote: »
    Anyone explain the reason for merging RTÉ radio, television and digital and then having a head of content.

Radio is a different medium to TV.

My understanding is the 3 divisions currently create content separately for their respective platforms but in a world where content is accessed across multiple platforms its creation and development will be centralised with distribution focused across multiple platforms, the traditional outlets of TV and radio and evolving platforms like IPTV, OTT, 4G/5G. Content and not the platform will be king.
    The IBD structure, which has served us well, is no longer fit for the demands of a modern digital media organisation. Driven by technology and the vast array of services and content now easily available, audiences’ habits are changing fast, so we must change to meet them.

Editorial decision making and content will move to the heart of the organisation’s executive structure. The IBD structure will be replaced by multi platform, cross divisional teams, in content; news and current affairs; channels, audience and marketing; operations and production services; corporate affairs; human resources; finance; and commercial. To support and drive these and other changes, I have also created a transformation role at the executive.

This new structure is essential if we are to evolve our content production, creation and distribution in a way that is not focused on divisional boundaries, but instead allows RTÉ to unlock its full potential.

Dee Forbes

icdg wrote: »
    I'm not sure what that has to do, if at all, with this thread, and on that basis can I ask people not to reply to the above post

I was responding to the post above !

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    My understanding is the 3 divisions currently create content separately for their respective platforms but in a world where content is accessed across multiple platforms its creation and development will be centralised with distribution focused across multiple platforms, the traditional outlets of TV and radio and evolving platforms like IPTV, OTT, 4G/5G. Content and not the platform will be king.

That's fine but radio -> podcasts and tv -> on demand video

Both are still different mediums. It very unlikely that a radio commissioner will commission a tv program.

Synergies can happen like operation transformation but unlikely to happen with a Drama or a documentary, radio and TV take a very different approach to both.

News and current affairs I can understand and it still remains across all platforms as it did in the past.

Suppose they'll bring back the beat box!

Advertisement