Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anpost Undelivered Post

Options
  • 22-09-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

I was expecting an important letter, should have been delivered by last Friday. When I contacted the sender, got to know that he missed to put the apartment number in the address, rest of the address was right. I live in an aprtment block. It was sent by ordianary post.

Anyone any idea, what would a postman do if the apartment number is not there in the address. Leave the post in common area (which he didnt do) or take it back and return to the sender (if the address is mentioned)?

Is there a retention period for such cases? Is it possible to go to post office and look for the post? I live in Christchurch (Dublin 8), what will be their collection centre.

I tried to go to their website and based on Dublin 8 they are showing 3-4 post offices. Not sure if a post collection centre is different from post office.

Anyone any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Your local post office should be able to tell you where the best place to go is or give you a phone number. I imagine the letter will be held for a few days or a week in case you come looking for it, otherwise it will be returned to the sender if sender's address is on it or they will open the letter to try identify you or the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Thanks. I will go to the local post office to see if I can get any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

bring id and bill showing the address if you have it as you'll need it at the sorting office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Either of two things will happen.

It will be left at the local PO or sorting office for approx 3 days.

Or it will be returned to sender marked with insufficient address.

If they dont know where to return it to , it will be kept at the lost or delayed office for a period of time.

If its not at the PO or SO ask them for a missing /delayed post form and get the sender to fill it out asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

^^ That can be the case as well. It was just a letter, no use for anyone else but I guess some may throw away the post in bin rather than return it to common area. Only yesterday I saw a post in my post box that wasnt meant for me, so I left that in comman area.

Tried everything but didnt work out. Went to Kevin St PO, they asked me to go to James St PO who asked me to call customer service at GPO. Customer service said is if the return address is there then they dont keep it for even a day. The letter was posted last Tue week, I should have got it by Thus (17th). If they returned, the sender must have got it back by now. That is not the case.

I really needed that for yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

this is as far as i know. an post not allowed to delay mail for any reason now (comreg) hence not allowed to keep it in post offices. If sender had return address on outside it would just be redirected to that address. if sender didn't have address on outside it will be opened and if the address is on the inside it will be sent there. if there is no address on either the outside or inside i don't know what happens. also as far as i am aware all returned stuff now goes either to killarney or limerick can't remember which, i was informed by a postie friend a few years ago. i would imagine opening letters takes time and this might delay return.

^^ I guess it matches with what Customer Service said that they dont keep the letters.

In my case sender's though address was there on the envelope. Still not yet returned.

Advertisement