Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting HomePlugs to extend network. Good or bad idea?

Options
  • 22-09-2015 9:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Run a cable and add an access point on another channel is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In this case homeplugs are perfect. If you had DOCSIS or GPON nah, but your FWA won't care.

Homeplugs don't slow down your connection, wireless repeaters do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Netcelero

I have them at home 2 things i have learnt:
    1. They need to be on the same circuit, won't work out in my shed.
    2. Only use one make and model otherwise they interfere with each other.
    3. Won't work in some Surge protector extension sockets, plug directly into the wall if you can.

Sometimes I have to resync them, can be annoying as I have to wonder around the house unplugging them all. I have 4 in total.
    Currently using TP-Link would be hesitant to recommend them, had a set from Clearwire back in 2007 I think they were made by asokatech, never had issues with them.

I'd get recommendations from people for a model that is reliable.

mass_debater option would be the best way if you can do the cable run neatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Devolo work quite well. I have four and like that you can get with AP's built it and never have any problems with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'll second Devolo, mine are constantly plugged in without the need to be ever reset, they're rock solid. However I did have one just die which was replaced under warranty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement