Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming/Gaming PC Build Advice

Options
  • 22-09-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

My PC is in dire need of an upgrade. I have been trying to stream to Twitch but output has been choppy with my current PC. So I've decide to try and build a new PC designed for the job.

1. What is your budget? [€800]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Stream to twitch.tv, capturing gaming footage for YouTube. Playing games, mainly Dota 2, TF2, CS:GO but play more graphically intense games on occasion.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have a decent case that can be reused, but everything else is getting old and will need to be replaced.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 720p, no intention of upgrading just yet

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No, but not sure if I would need to for the above usage

8. How can you pay? Credit Card, Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing? [In 14 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I can build it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

This is good if you're sticking to 720p. Probably grand for 1080p too, although the CPU might struggle with encoding AND playing some newer/badly optimised games at 1080p.
    aggEERA.jpg
    + €30 shipping = €666.93 (@ mindfactory.de)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 igiggles

Thank you for that! Given that I have a little more budget to spend, is there anything in the above list you would recommended taking up another step? 16GB of RAM or something for example. Not sure what would be best to prioritize.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

igiggles wrote: »
    Thank you for that! Given that I have a little more budget to spend, is there anything in the above list you would recommended taking up another step? 16GB of RAM or something for example. Not sure what would be best to prioritize.

Extra RAM is unnecessary unless you're part of the leave-1000-tabs-open brigade or do a lot of visual or audio editing.

Me personally? If I was going to do anything to neuter any future hassles with upgrading parts I'd get the 620w version of that PSU and a z97 motherboard, but that's because I'd be looking at a definite upgrade path to overclocking a k-series CPU and more powerful GPU for 1080p or above.
    If those aren't a concern to you I wouldn't bother doing that.

An upgrade to a B85 motherboard would allow more storage if you find 2TB too small, then you could buy more storage.

If I were you I'd get a 1080p screen. The undemanding games you play will still look amazing, you'll see more going on, and actual demanding games will play well at high settings and brilliantly on medium settings with borderline useless effects turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 igiggles

Again, thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Advertisement